Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone watching BBC's "Gordon Ramsey's F Word" ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Anyone watching BBC's "Gordon Ramsey's F Word" ?

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:52 pm

We stumbled onto it last a couple of weeks ago. Unlike the Hells' Kitchen show, it allows a bit more humanity to come through his personality.

Apparently he has taken the Hell's Kitchen format and started a restaurant staffed by people who write in and ask to work for him. He lets one go every show. He is still pretty hard ass with his employees, but the rest of the show is glimpses into his personal life and various interludes that can cover cooking in someones home (ala Tyler Florence) to finding some type of game / food that he's never eaten before and trying it.

In the last case, it was a seabird of some sort that was described as tasting like "fishy duck". It was a hilarious segment as he tried it and got some of his staff and friends to try some.

It pretty funny and off the wall. We like it.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Anyone watching BBC's "Gordon Ramsey's F Word" ?

by Jenise » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:32 pm

I haven't seen it, Richard. In fact, I thought it was an interview show. I take it this all takes place in London?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:25 pm

Looks like the restaurant is in London. But he travels also...as with the seabird feast. The "F" word stands for "Food" actually. And the guy is a great cook...something you never really saw on the Hell's Kitchen show.

I saw him do a fantastic Beef Wellington that I'm going to try this Holiday Season. Best thing about the main recipes is you can go to the website (see below) and re-watch the video of the preparation in case you missed some technique.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_li ... f_word.jsp

Its a pretty quirky show and hilarious in places.

Richard
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:03 pm

I've seen a couple of these. I don't know if it was mentioned in earlier episodes but I thought it was entertaining that he's named the turkeys he's raising at home after other British TV chefs - something that would be obvious to UK audiences but probably mostly lost on those watching in the US.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:48 pm

I don't know if it was mentioned in earlier episodes
When they brought the birds home, Gordon went around and named them one by one after Brit chefs. "See that bird over there that walks funny? That one is Jamie...and that posh bird, that's Nigella"...that sort of thing. It was quite funny. It was good to see him playing with his children and I rather enjoyed the bits of cooking he showed.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 pm

I didn't know the story behind the Turkey names. Didn't catch the show until the 3rd or 4th episode. I suppose that just follows with the ...kind of twisted humor that pervades the show. Pretty funny though.

Richard