Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Natal Plum - a new (to me) treat?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Natal Plum - a new (to me) treat?

by Susan B » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 pm

http://www.eattheweeds.com/natal-plums-num-num/

When we began spending winters in the warmth of So Cal, I had to learn a whole new world of plants. When I learned the name of the pretty and fragrant plant along the entry walk, I also learned that the fruit is edible. Most of the local plants are pruned into geometric shapes and so often don't flower and produce fruit. I convinced the gardeners to not prune my hedge and now I have three plums that are nearly ripe. Mine look just like the ones on the website, actually nicer. I tried to upload a photo, but got a message that it was "invalid".

Has any one else tried them? Cooked with them? There are several recipes at the end of the article, but I only have three this year, so maybe next year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Natal Plum - a new (to me) treat?

by Jenise » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm

Sorry about the photo. It probably exceeds our pixel limit.

But hey, I know that plant! It's all over Southern California where I grew up. As you would now know, it's pretty drought resistant and makes great short hedges in places where a barrier to prevent foot traffic might be useful! And the flowers smell wonderful--had no idea whatsoever that the fruit was edible.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov