Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

"Eat Your Books"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

"Eat Your Books"

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 pm

I just stumbled across this site: http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library

It appears to be a library of cookbooks, many of which have had their recipes indexed and put online. Haven't looked enough yet to know whether this is a deep resource or slim pickings but wanted to share. :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

Re: "Eat Your Books"

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:18 pm

OK, not so exciting. It's just the indexes. If you want the recipe you have to buy the book. (Which is fair, of course. But not exciting.)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:30 am

Jeff, I bought a life sub. for $50 some years ago to Eatyourbooks and find it very useful. What happens is you crate your library on the site by entering in the details of cookbooks
in your collection. Once in there you can then search for heaps of stuff. So if I am looking for a recipe with a particular name, ingredient, set of ingredients, keyword etc in my
cookbook collection I put in the data and it will give me a list of all recipes in my library that meet the search criteria.
As you say you have to own the book (or have access to it) but if you have a big collection of books it is incredibly useful. My collection numbers over 400 so it pays off for me.
They have a huge number of titles on the site and are constantly adding to it and to their functions, many of my more obscure titles appear much to my surprise..
Regards
Barb
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks, Barb, for explaining the right way to use the site.