Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Turkey Torture

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Turkey Torture

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:32 am

Maybe its just me, but I looked at this offering on Amazon and winced. Does it put anyone else in mind of the ill fated 'end' of Edward II? The choice of name, 'turkey cannon' also seems unfortunate (with friends like that, who needs enemas?).

http://www.amazon.ca/Camp-Chef-TKYC-Inf ... hef+turkey
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Turkey Torture

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:43 am

Save for the effect on tender imaginations, it looks like an effective way to roast with air circulation all around. Of course, so does a roaster rack, so where is the need here?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:12 pm

And you wouldn't get to stuff it, which IMNSHO is the main reason for cooking a turkey.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:38 pm

John Treder wrote:And you wouldn't get to stuff it, which IMNSHO is the main reason for cooking a turkey.

My secretary was all stoked to buy one of these and then it dawned on her that she'd have to cook the stuffing on the side (in my and her opinions a less desirable and drier way) and she's backed off and is reconsidering the purchase.

The one good thing about this and the various vertical chicken cooking apparati that I can see is that fat doesn't pool with the bird sitting in it.

This particular one allows you to fill the tube with liquid (they suggest beer) so it keeps the inside of the bird moist. For me, that's what stuffing does.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:16 pm

I wouldn't worry about cooking the stuffing separately. Since we smoke our turkey we have been doing that for years. The stuffing does not dry out the way we make it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:25 pm

What's your secret, Carl?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:24 pm

For what it's worth, Alton Brown speaks strongly against stuffing poultry, primarily for food-safety reasons: When you cook the bird to an appropriate temperature, the stuffing - with the poultry juices that seep into it - doesn't achieve bacteria-killing temperatures. :P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 pm

I have some background in microbiology, and that has always concerned me a bit, too.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:What's your secret, Carl?

Use plenty of butter and stock.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:38 am

Robin Garr wrote:For what it's worth, Alton Brown speaks strongly against stuffing poultry, primarily for food-safety reasons: When you cook the bird to an appropriate temperature, the stuffing - with the poultry juices that seep into it - doesn't achieve bacteria-killing temperatures. :P

Note that he always has his fake lawyers around when he talks about that kind of stuff. That's his cue to let you know he is telling you what he HAS TO versus what he might want to.

Been eating turkey cooked with stuffing inside for well over 40 years. Moist turkey, moist stuffing, no problems.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:30 am

Looks like it's a way of adapting the beer can chicken method to turkey. That technique makes for pretty good chicken, but I don't think I'd buy the gadget just to do that with turkey.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:44 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Note that he always has his fake lawyers around when he talks about that kind of stuff. That's his cue to let you know he is telling you what he HAS TO versus what he might want to.

Correctamundo! I may have forgotten, though, but I don't think he uses the fake lawyers on the STUFFING IS EEEEEVIL gig. He goes overboard, but just as he does when people scream in terror when he mentions THE ZOOOOONE! , I think he's serious about this.

Been eating turkey cooked with stuffing inside for well over 40 years. Moist turkey, moist stuffing, no problems.

Yeah, you don't get salmonella every time, or even 1 in 1,000 (although I'll bet the risk goes up with industrially produced poultry). But get it once, and you'll start paying attention. :P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:02 am

Speaking of wailing about raw food ("Are you trying to KILL someone?") by people like Gordon Ramsay (in his Hell's Kitchen etc.), I wonder exactly what they think a scallop that isn't cooked all the way through is going to do to someone. Surely he has eaten sushi....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:09 pm

So did you cook a turkey for T-Day? IIRC, Suz is a fan but you're not.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov