Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whipped Spread :o

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Whipped Spread :o

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:05 am

I spent most of last week in the hospital for abdominal surgery and had the displeasure of eating hospital food. The food was so bad that if I have to live on it on a daily basis, I'd be back in the hospital suffering from malnutrition. The first 2 days were a liquid diet, consisting of pureed foods, like chicken noodle soup and oatmeal. It went downhill when they put me on solid foods. 2 slices of roast pork with mashed potatoes and gravy were cooked with no salt. The pork was dry and one of the toughest meats I've ever eaten. And, of course gummy white bread or a biscuit serves with "whipped spread". What the hell is this stuff? Imitation margarine? I came home on Thursday and Saturday night I had pizza and wings. :)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Whipped Spread :o

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:37 am

"Whipped spread" is indeed margarine. Or perhaps worse. Given what we know about trans-fats, I'm surprised that a hospital would be serving such stuff to its patients.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:34 am

Besides the food, hope you're feeling better Howie!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Besides the food, hope you're feeling better Howie!

Yes! More important than whipped spread, feel better, Howie!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:"Whipped spread" is indeed margarine. Or perhaps worse. Given what we know about trans-fats, I'm surprised that a hospital would be serving such stuff to its patients.

A kind concern, but dated. Well aware of the trans-fat issues, the industry has responded. Brummell & Brown, Promise, Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and Imperial soft spreads are all trans-fat free. Personally, for taste and food quality, I’d rather have real (organic) butter and use it in moderation. But for one under doctor’s orders, these alternatives can be acceptable to the taste buds and safe for heart health.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I only have real butter in my house. I'm feeling better, but not well yet. I hope I'm feeling well enough to visit my sister in Maine in about 2 weeks. I need to get my lobster fix.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:"Whipped spread" is indeed margarine. Or perhaps worse. Given what we know about trans-fats, I'm surprised that a hospital would be serving such stuff to its patients.

A kind concern, but dated. Well aware of the trans-fat issues, the industry has responded. Brummell & Brown, Promise, Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and Imperial soft spreads are all trans-fat free. Personally, for taste and food quality, I’d rather have real (organic) butter and use it in moderation. But for one under doctor’s orders, these alternatives can be acceptable to the taste buds and safe for heart health.

Robin, you're right. I use one in addition to butter--started when the doctor wife of a friend, who is also a super health Nazi, outlawed butter in their household and went to the kind of product you name. I figured she knows a lot more than I do, so I'd follow suit!

And yes, Howie: feel better soon!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:44 am

Wow - I thought most hospitals had tried to up their game at least a little when it comes to food. Sounds terrible!

Glad to hear you're back home and on the mend, Howie.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:30 am

Real Butter Wishes to you, Howie!