Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Need anything at Sur La Tables?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Need anything at Sur La Tables?

by Jenise » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 pm

The promo code FRIENDS14 will get you $20 any purchase of $75 or more, by which time free shipping kicks in too. Just ordered me an immersion circulator!

www.surlatables.com
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Need anything at Sur La Tables?

by Jenise » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Oh, forgot to mention that's good through Nov 11, online or at any store.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Thanks Jenise. Anxious for your report on the product. Looks very interesting.

Just bought the Kitchen Aid attachment for making sauces - removes the peel and seeds from fruits or vegetables. Wish I had it sooner. Wonderful for applesauce and tomatoes. Much better consistency than a food mill for applesauce.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:36 am

The flyer we just received says to use the code "GATHER14" to receive 20% off of any single item from Sur La Table. Be advised that there is a list of manufacturers that have "chosen not to participate in this offer", but that's still potentially a decent discount. It also doesn't seem to mention that you can't combine it with another offer, so it's possible you could use both this one and the one Jenise mentioned.

Good through November 26.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks for the tip! There are some things left on our registry that this will come in handy for! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Thanks Jenise. Anxious for your report on the product. Looks very interesting.

Just bought the Kitchen Aid attachment for making sauces - removes the peel and seeds from fruits or vegetables. Wish I had it sooner. Wonderful for applesauce and tomatoes. Much better consistency than a food mill for applesauce.

Christina, I'm unaware of that attachment--will have to take a look before tomato season rolls around again. Timesaver, too, I suspect, though quality improvement alone is enough of an inducement for me.

Btw, re the circulator? Been wanting one ever since dining one night at the Rieger Grill in Kansas City MO. This was our favorite meal in that town, and we sat at the kitchen counter. We also got a bit of a steam facial because a tub of water with an immersion circulator in it was pretty much under our noses on the other side of the counter full of cryovacced individual steaks--I had never seen one operate before and the chefs went on and on about it. So where a NY (or trimmed to Kansas City Strip standards) Steak is my least fave steak which I never buy at home or order in restaurants, it made the most compelling means of proving to me just how much difference sous vide can make. The chefs promised to make me something else if I wasn't blown away. And I was definitely blown away.

Speaking of such things a friend of mine just ordered one too. She's not a cook. That is, she cooks only because they have to eat--she does not love cooking and doesn't have any real kitchen know-how. But she got it in her head that this is going to be a great tool for preparing food for the diet she's going to be on over the next year--that she can prepare all this great food in restrictive portions to pull out of the freezer and heat up just like the frozen box diet food they've been living on. IOW, she thinks it's going to be a shortcut and enable her to make food that she would never make 'the long way'. Couldn't talk her out of it without saying the wrong thing. Might be a 'slightly used' model for sale soon. :)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Short cuts are never a primary consideration for me. The circulator does attract for the comments on taste and texture.
The Kitchen Aid attachment has been a great gadget. No need to core or peel [ my hands got terribly painful the day after peeling and coring bushels of apples and quince, not to mention the frequent venous ruptures in my fingers and palms ].
Curious though the absence of instructions in the accompanying literature. One should put the extruded peelings thru the sieve at least 3 times to extract all of the pulp. Will ALWAYS do tomatoes, apples and quince this way. Making a batch of membrillo tomorrow.
Mamma Mia !