Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Roasted chestnuts -- what am I doing wrong?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Roasted chestnuts -- what am I doing wrong?

by Tom NJ » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:32 am

FWIW, I just roasted a batch yesterday for my soup and they came out fine:

1. Cut an "X" on the flat side of each nut with my little sheep's foot parer (as large an "X" as would fit).

2. Onto a half-sheet and into a 400/425 oven (god only knows with my oven) for around 25 min.

3. Let them cool for just a few minutes. Getting the shell off is much easier when they're hot. Cradle each nut in an insulating potholder or somesuch and just work quickly with your other rapidly blistering hand.

Peeled hot, most of the papery inner layer peeled right off with the shell. On the few that didn't, just some light massaging and scraping did the trick. I really think peeling while still very hot is the way to go.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:27 am

OK, this I gotta try.

I will observe that many Italian sites say to wrap the nuts in a slightly-damp cloth for 10 minutes after roasting. I presume the slight moisture is supposed to help separate the skin.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:16 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:...many Italian sites say to wrap the nuts in a slightly-damp cloth for 10 minutes after roasting.

Hey Jeff, if you try this and it works, let me know would you? It would be pretty neat if it does. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:33 am

Tom NJ wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:...many Italian sites say to wrap the nuts in a slightly-damp cloth for 10 minutes after roasting.

Hey Jeff, if you try this and it works, let me know would you? It would be pretty neat if it does. Thanks!

I tried this a couple nights ago. It definitely improved the peeling.

I also made a greater effort to separate the nuts from each other, not to let them clump together, so that each one would get more heat. That may have helped, too.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:35 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I tried this a couple nights ago. It definitely improved the peeling. I also made a greater effort to separate the nuts from each other, not to let them clump together, so that each one would get more heat. That may have helped, too.

Hey Jeff, thanks very much for getting back to me with this! Great to have a first hand report. I'm going to give this technique a whirl next time I make them myself.

Thanks again :D
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:09 am

Here's another new idea (new to me, anyway): soak the chestnuts in water before cooking.

Article: http://www.ediblebrooklyn.com/2014/12/24/diy-chestnut-salted-caramel-spread/
Previous