Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Italian-style veggie braise

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Italian-style veggie braise

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm going to take the liberty of pulling this one out of "What's Cooking" because I was so happy with the dish: Quick and easy, done on the fly, I was happy happy with its color and taste. Mary said it's a keeper, too.

It was about as simple as could be: Trim roma beans and cut them into ~1-inch lengths; peel and whack a smallish baking tater into 1/2-inch dice. Chop a bunch of onion and a bunch of garlic, and chop a couple of (sssh!) canned Red Gold whole tomatoes with a little of their juice. Olive oil, a bit of dried oregano, and S&P and dried red-pepper flakes completed the mise.

Simmer the beans until they're crisp-tender, then drain and do the same with the potato dice in the bean cooking water. Meanwhile, brown the onions quite well, add the chopped garlic and seasonings, then put in the beans over medium heat. Stir the beans and onions together, add the chopped tomatoes, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the drained, partly cooked potatoes and simmer all for about 15 minutes more or until the veggies are all cooked (this is NOT a short-cook, crisp-veggie dish; think country-style green beans with a plant-based Italian twist.

Serve with warm bowls to share it in and, and it's a meal in itself! On the other hand, crusty artisan bread and a good salad wouldn't do it any harm. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Italian-style veggie braise

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Looks good and sounds very tasty!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Italian-style veggie braise

by Peter May » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Looks good.

I've never heard of Roma Beans, but they look like what we call here 'runner beans' -- there are many different varieties. I grew some runners this year, very easy to grow, and very prolific (I assume that's why they're called runners as they just run away, growing very fast) and beautiful picked young and tender and served simply steamed.

I've got a lot in the freezer and I'm going to use some in the recipe above.