Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Beaten Pulled Pork

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Beaten Pulled Pork

by Tom NJ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:21 pm

I made pulled pork BBQ in my Romertopf cooker today, and I just wanted to mention the technique I used to shred the pork. Normally I either use the 2-fork method, or don gloves and pull it apart by hand.

But after seeing this blog post: http://simplyhealthyfam.blogspot.ca/2010/05/shredded-chicken-bbq-sandwiches.html I tried the author's KitchenAid method. It worked great! I dumped the entire half-picnic shoulder into the bowl, stuck on the paddle attachment, and let 'er rip. In less time that it took you to read my post up to this point it was done. Totally indistinguishable from hand pulled. In fact, the only problem I can see is that it's so effective that you have to be careful not to over beat it into pulp.

I heartily recommend this method. I can see it being a real time saver if you're one who makes up large batches of pulled pork or chicken for picnics/parties.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Beaten Pulled Pork

by Jenise » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:58 pm

What a great tip, I have never considered using the KA that way, but was just yesterday wondering what they use here in Hawaii to process mass quantities of Kahlua pig. This, I'm sure, is the answer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Jenise wrote:...but was just yesterday wondering what they use here in Hawaii to process mass quantities of Kahlua pig. This, I'm sure, is the answer.

Yup. Remember, those pre-Captain Cook islanders even had those proto-KitchenAid belt driven mixers, with the belts attached to hula dancers. Those hip motions were developed to be an orbital drive source, not some silly courting dance. Tour guides always seem to gloss over that inconvenient truth.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:...but was just yesterday wondering what they use here in Hawaii to process mass quantities of Kahlua pig. This, I'm sure, is the answer.

Yup. Remember, those pre-Captain Cook islanders even had those proto-KitchenAid belt driven mixers, with the belts attached to hula dancers. Those hip motions were developed to be an orbital drive source, not some silly courting dance. Tour guides always seem to gloss over that inconvenient truth.

Didn't the Professor design one of those for Ginger to power on Gilligan's Island? (But I know there were coconuts involved. There were always coconuts involved.)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Didn't the Professor design one of those for Ginger to power on Gilligan's Island? (But I know there were coconuts involved. There were always coconuts involved.)

If so, it was the ONLY thing Ginger was good for (that they could show on tv at the time).

And yeah, coconuts certainly got a lot of air time on the series. I think they even had their own union. It's nuts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Tom NJ wrote:

Actually, it was Captain Cook who brought Kitchen Aid to the islands. Didn't really mean to, it was religion he meant to deliver but when he reached into his desk to pull out "the good book" to a waiting bunch of hungry half-naked ex-Polynesians, he accidentally grabbed the 1778 edition of "Kitchen Aid's 20 Greatest Desserts" and THAT'S how Lilikoi Cream Pie was born.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:50 am

Methinks you would need a commercial grade Kitchen Aid. I think it would burn our trusty old friend out!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Methinks you would need a commercial grade Kitchen Aid. I think it would burn our trusty old friend out!

Ah. From Captain Hobart's expedition.