Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yuzu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Yuzu

by Christina Georgina » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:16 pm

A very generous cooking buddy shared a box of ripe California yuzu. What a marvelous fruit !
She made Yuzu zested Maldon salt and together we made both green and red yuzu kosho. Their weeks cure is finished and I am totally smitten with this Japanese condiment - yuzu zest, red or green chile and salt cured for 1 week in the fridge . Now in the freezer for pulling as needed. A very powerful blast of the most interesting aromatic citrus, chile heat and savory salt. I've added dabs to just about everything I am cooking and so far it has enhanced all. Tomorrow will use it in one of its classic uses, ponzu sauce for pork dumplings.
We then dumped the pulp remains into a bottle of vodka and again, the most aromatic of spirits. Much better than Absolute or Grey Goose Citron which we prefer to unseasoned vodka with our fresh caviar.
Finally, not wanting to dump that precious pulp my friend made marmalade. 5 fantastic products from a box of yuzu. Next up when in season, calamansi!
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Yuzu

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:27 am

Wow, Christina. You made great use of those fruits.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:30 am

JEALOUS!!! The other day in an Asian store, there were small fruits in a box on the counter that I thought might be citrus. I'm now kicking myself for not realizing they were probably yuzu. I'm such a fan--not that I've ever had fresh yuzu before, but bottled yuzu for ponzu sauce and fresh yuzu marmalade in particular have really turned my head.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm such a fan--not that I've ever had fresh yuzu before, but bottled yuzu for ponzu sauce and fresh yuzu marmalade in particular have really turned my head.

Perhaps you've had it fresh in Japanese restaurants and didn't know it. It's a common ingredient and I agree very delicious and distinctive.