Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How many vinegars are in your kitchen?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

None
No votes
No votes
2-4
15%
5-9
62%
10-14
8%
15-19
8%
20 or more
8%

Total votes : 13
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:20 pm

OK, now it's time to really talk about obsession. I currently have 25 bottles of vinegar in my kitchen, with no exact duplicates. A number were gifts, so I can't say I chose them all, but the majority I picked on my own.They are:
    champagne
    merlot
    pinot noir
    good 25-year-old sherry
    cheap sherry (for marinades)
    pedro ximinez sherry vinegar
    hot pepper sherry
    good 12-year-old balsamic
    2 different cheap balsamics (again for marinades)
    chestnut balsamic
    black mission fig balsamic
    black currant balsamic
    balsamique blanc (hey, that's what the label says; I know it's white balsamic)
    white balsamic
    cara-cara orange/vanilla white balsamic (I'm almost afraid to try that one)
    raspberry with whole raspberries
    raspberry without whole raspberries
    malt vinegar
    homemade tarragon
    white wine
    apple cider
    rice wine
    chive blossom
I've also recently used up generic red wine, white wine, [sweet] zinfandel and mixed herb vinegars
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: How many vinegars are in your kitchen?

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:45 pm

For some reason, we've never become vinegar geeks. We keep standard-issue cider and white for cooking. There's a gift bottle of a nice but not ethereal balsamic tucked away on a higher shelf, but we're pretty much over lower-end "balsamic," and don't consider the good stuff a rational investment for us. A rice-wine vinegar in the Asian-foods department, and i think maybe an ancient little bottle of champagne vinegar that I usually forget is there. On the whole, though, we use it rarely - and often substitute fresh lemon juice when a shot of acidity is needed in a dish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Wow, Ted, I'm impressed! I selected 5-9 but I might actually be in the 10-14 department. Will have to count. But from this desk, I can account for:

Sherry Vinegar, though I'm currently out of it (Trader Joe's has stopped selling this, dammit)
Chinese black vinegar
Red wine vinegar from various leftover red wines that I make myself and age three years before using
Heinz white wine vinegar (the workhorse of my kitchen)
A 100 year old solera balsamic vinegar that is too expensive for anything but condiment use, often ice cream
A blood orange vinegar
A fig vinegar made by the same company who made the blood orange vinegar
Several balsamic vinegars I received as gifts and which sit there because I am so over balsamic vinegar
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:On the whole, though, we use it rarely - and often substitute fresh lemon juice when a shot of acidity is needed in a dish.

Don't you need acidity in every dish/meal? Do you get good lemons?

I'm a big fan of adding freshness and acidity to dishes (especially at the end before serving), and always have lemons and limes in the house. But this is not lemon/lime country, so they are not always the most delicious and often vinegar has more flavor. So I try to keep 5-8 around.

An excellent balsamic (for drips) and a very good balsamic (for cooking/finishing), the champagne grape/muscat orange vinegar from TJoes, a sherry vinegar, a rice vinegar, and maybe a couple of others depending on what I have.

I bought a coconut vinegar from Whole Foods the other day, it was too interesting not to try. But the flavor is pretty basic. I should have known because the label says it is a more nutritious replacement for cider vinegar.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Dale's red wine vinegar (potent stuff, never measured the ph, current batch had wines from 1964 to 2007)
Champagne
sherry
rice
seasoned rice
Chinese black
good Modena balsamic
Pure Mtn balsamic
Pure Mtn fig balsamic
cider
white balsamic
malt
white wine

there's also distilled white in basement, but that's used for cleaning
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote: On the whole, though, we use it rarely - and often substitute fresh lemon juice when a shot of acidity is needed in a dish.

A question: how often do you make salad?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:04 pm

I have distilled white vinegar, rice vinegar, Chinese black vinegar, and red wine vinegar.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:13 pm

For me it's raw apple cider, Champagne, Sherry, red wine, white wine, rice wine, distilled, and George Paul "Emelia" aged balsamic (from Nebraska), which used to cost about $30 for about 3.5 ounces, and ever since it was featured in Food & Wine Magazine, now costs $45. Luckily I got some before he became famous. It is the best balsamic I have ever had - insane over fresh mozzarella.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: On the whole, though, we use it rarely - and often substitute fresh lemon juice when a shot of acidity is needed in a dish.

A question: how often do you make salad?

I am the one above who was also incredulous at Robin's lack of acid, but I'm not sure salad is the key? When I lived in California and had access to such lovely citrus, I rarely used vinegars in salad dressing because there were so many other purer flavor lemon and lime options. Of course now that I don't live in CA, I do rely more heavily on vinegar. And I suppose Robin should too!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 pm

checked pantry, to me list need to add:
a lemon white balsamic
elderberry (this is an apparent gift I had forgotten about, smells great, will use in a dressing soon)
raspberry ( "Maitre Jacques Raspberry French Red Wine Vinegar" should use up or dump- wonder re quick pickles would work?)

actually noticed I have 2 Chinese black vinegars, not something I use that much!

Am I only person who keeps vinegar crock? Great way to use leftover wine.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:25 pm

I spelunked through the pantry and found the following vinegars:

Red wine
White wine
Apple Cider
Plain white vinegar
Various bottles of balsamic ranging from very cheap to pretty decent (we still enjoy using it in a variety of dishes)
Sherry
Rice
Ume Plum
Nipa Sap
And a couple of bottles of vinegar that came from the garage of a neighbor of Nilo's mom. It had been in a barrel in that garage for uncounted years and (since they were Italian) was almost certainly based on red wine. It's pretty good stuff.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 am

Red wine
Apple cider
Rice wine
White
Balsamic, cheap
Balsamic, expensive (for drop by drop usage!)

I can get lemons and limes very easily.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:40 am

Ted Richards wrote:cara-cara orange/vanilla white balsamic (I'm almost afraid to try that one)

That is going to taste like a Creamsicle. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Dale Williams wrote:raspberry ( "Maitre Jacques Raspberry French Red Wine Vinegar" should use up or dump- wonder re quick pickles would work?)...Am I only person who keeps vinegar crock? Great way to use leftover wine.

Yes, quick pickles would work well. Also consider using the raspberry vinegar on a salad of just sliced small tomatoes (cut in crescents, not lateral slices, for better bites)--will intensify the 'fruit' qualities in the tomato.

Re the crock, I don't have a 'crock' per se, I just keep filling wine bottles with leftovers and a mother that I share from bottle to bottle--these are what makes my homemade red wine vinegar. When they seem ready after a few months (I taste), I cork them and stick them in the wine cellar to age.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I am the one above who was also incredulous at Robin's lack of acid, but I'm not sure salad is the key?

I asked the question that way because to me, it is. Yesterday for lunch we had curry roti's grilled and rolled up burrito style around a salad made from escarole and green cabbage tossed with sunflowers seeds and a vingaigrette made from oil, vinegar and a scoop of Patak mango pickle (explained in detail because I highly, highly recommend this). For dinner, another salad shared the plate with a rice and pea dish. Day before, lunch was another salad with tuna and dinner included a tomato salad. So vinegar figured into four meals in two days, which is likely higher than average but not unusual for us. We eat salad every day, and vinegar's indispensable (though yes, I sometimes use citrus too.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Jenise wrote:A question: how often do you make salad?

Almost daily, usually with a lemon/olive oil/garlic vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Red wine
Champagne
Apple cider
Balsamic (a good one, not a great one)
Rice wine
White balsamic which is used for one dish and one dish only
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:White balsamic which is used for one dish and one dish only

Okay, I'll bite. What's the dish?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:04 am

I don't want to count. My guess is maybe a dozen. I used to have a couple of bottles of the 3 digit balsamico, but I think we finished one, and the other is even more expensive. I may be "over" the fake stuff for $20 per bottle but who could be "over" the real aceto balsamico di Modena? Anyway half of my vinegar is stuff I'm not directly responsible for -- gifts etc.

It's funny, at Weight Watchers periodically someone will start to rave about the place they get their balsamic vinegar, and I start to wonder if I should chime in, but then they rave about how they can get chocolate balsamic, vanilla balsamic, blueberry balsamic, and raspberry balsamic and it makes things taste so interesting. I can't even think what to say when it reaches that point, and it always seems to reach that point.

I wonder if those people also like their coffee with the same artificial crap in it?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:48 am

Frank Deis wrote:I wonder if those people also like their coffee with the same artificial crap in it?

Yes, Frank, they do.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:21 am

Only three viniegars for me.

Red wine vinegar - for mint sauce, salad dressings, recipes requiring wine vinegar
Sarsen's Malt Vinegar - for fish and chips
Tarragon vinegar -- bought it years ago and never opened it but I think its somewhere there ready for the day.