Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What in the heck has happened to cottage cheese?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What in the heck has happened to cottage cheese?

by Jenise » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Used to love it. And ordered some today from the hospital cafeteria. But this like every example I've bought recently was super creamy and Extra fat tasting. Some have even been soupy. I finally bought some months ago and drained it in a colander--good result but there was depressingly little left. So, won't bother doing that again!

The idiots are running the asylum again, obviously.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What in the heck has happened to cottage cheese?

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Don't know; I haven't ordered cottage cheese lately. But I have my eye on a block of farmer's cheese. My mother used to eat it and I'm having a quiver of nostalgia.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm

I used to like it with the large curds, it was kind of luxurious -- and this goes back to grad school, the 1970's.

But cottage cheese, like milk, is something that Weight Watchers has impacted for me and I have gotten very used to the Breakstone 2% fat stuff. I buy 4 packs, either the live active cultures stuff or the regular, and I keep it at work. When I feel a little hungry I have a small can of V8, a pack of the cottage cheese, and maybe 4 saltines. I like the saltiness of the V8 and the saltines with the CC. Probably most people wouldn't find that delicious, I don't see it as a luxury but it's good for me in lots of ways.

Especially nowadays when people, perhaps especially men, are not supposed to get their calcium from pills. You're supposed to get it from your foods. So my daily yoghurt and my near daily cottage cheese show up well in that regard.

If I knew which one to buy I probably would indulge myself in that higher fat large curd stuff once in a while. I would have it with, say, some canned peaches. Yum.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Interesting. I've had cottage cheese a couple of times over the last few years, usually in the little cafe on campus. It's the Knudsen brand, low fat, with pineapple in it. If anything, it's been on the dry side rather than being soupy.

A few years back, I picked up some full fat cultured cottage cheese at the co-op here. I remember it as being incredibly good, with a nice lactic tang to it and a luscious mouthfeel. It was too dangerous to buy again.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:31 am

I wouldn't call myself a cottage-cheese geek, but we usually keep a tub of basic Kroger brand "lowfat" (2%) around for those days when you want a quick, easy lunch and no time to make anything. If there's been any change over time, it has been so gradual that I haven't noticed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Mike, dry yes. Thatswhati want, not swimming in cream. By the way a friend used to to swear by Knudsen for just that reason, and I know it's one of the brands of my childhood back when CC all seemed dry to me, but when I finally went to where she got that they'd quit carrying it. :(
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike, dry yes. Thatswhati want, not swimming in cream. By the way a friend used to to swear by Knudsen for just that reason, and I know it's one of the brands of my childhood back when CC all seemed dry to me, but when I finally went to where she got that they'd quit carrying it. :(

Yeah, a soupy cottage cheese sounds nasty.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child