Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Asparagus again

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Asparagus again

by Thomas » Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 am

Is it possible to tire of asparagus?

We have been eating it almost every day since May 1. One more week remains before the season ends and we allow the stalks to grow tall for the rest of the summer.

It was of course a great ride (and our neighbors were glad of the excess) but I think I've had my fill--in just about every preparation imaginable! What we pick this week will largely go toward a preparation for freezing for winter soup stock, etc.

Now, it's on to the rest of the gardening season. I am in awe of a potato patch that looks almost like something from the Little Shop of Horrors, as the plants grow inches per day.
Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 25, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Asparagus again

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 25, 2015 10:15 am

I believe I could get tired of asparagus, if served too much.

I'd like to try that trick with morels, though. :wink:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 am

I usually get tired of asparagus by the end of the season, I like it but don't love it.

Never had that problem with tomatoes, eggplant, or morels (not even close with morels).
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon May 25, 2015 11:13 am

On morels: when I moved to the Finger Lakes a local winemaker rhapsodied over local morels and then refused to tell me where I could find them in the area. Took me a while to uncover the places, but now they are overrun with tourists!

If I really liked another local widl find, fiddleheads, I could overdose on them, but I'm not crazy enough about that tannic wild fern.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 25, 2015 6:21 pm

We've eaten our share of asparagus over the last month and a half or so, but not enough to get tired of it. I couldn't eat it every day, though - that would be too much.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 pm

I hear you Thomas. I can sometimes get fiddleheads in the greenmarket, and I don't.

How are you on ramps, that other harbinger of spring?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue May 26, 2015 10:19 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I hear you Thomas. I can sometimes get fiddleheads in the greenmarket, and I don't.

How are you on ramps, that other harbinger of spring?

They're ok, but not something I spend time seeking.

My doctor last week, when it was cold here, said we don't get spring in the Finger Lakes; we get March followed by summer!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Thomas wrote:Is it possible to tire of asparagus?

Yes. Or more to the point: tired of asparagus pee. It bothers me enough to eat it less frequently than flavor and availability would otherwise dictate. :lol:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue May 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
Thomas wrote:Is it possible to tire of asparagus?

Yes. Or more to the point: tired of asparagus pee. It bothers me enough to eat it less frequently than flavor and availability would otherwise dictate. :lol:

I have a clear memory of the first time that smell registered in my brain...in the rest room of a restaurant called the Public House in Washington, DC in 1977. Not that I hadn't eaten them before; just that I hadn't been that much in tune yet...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Thomas wrote:I have a clear memory of the first time that smell registered in my brain...in the rest room of a restaurant called the Public House in Washington, DC in 1977. Not that I hadn't eaten them before; just that I hadn't been that much in tune yet...

This could be the start of an interesting thread. I was in a restroom at SeaTac airport. But it wasn't me: that is, I'd been noticing an unusual aroma for a couple of weeks and was thinking I should see a doctor, and there I was at the airport and THAT EXACT SAME SMELL was coming from the stall next door. I didn't know yet what was causing it, but at least I knew it wasn't just me!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov