Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Yogurt that Tastes Like Yogurt!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

A Yogurt that Tastes Like Yogurt!

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 am

http://smariorganics.com/our-yogurt/

Most yogurt these days has as much sugar as a Hersheys bar! This brand has only 12 grams, a ton of protein, and is not whipped and smoothed to the point of insipid pudding character.

It is is quite thick and creamy and rich, like a better version of the old Dannon fruit on the bottom yogurts.
And non-fat to boot!

Smari is good! Plus, it is Icelandic, so it fits the music I love. http://solstafir.bandcamp.com/

:mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: A Yogurt that Tastes Like Yogurt!

by Thomas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, well, my yogurt is better--I make it myself!!! No sugar added and no pectin either.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:And non-fat to boot!

I agree with you on sugar/flavor additives being the scourge of contemporary yogurt. It can be quite difficult to find real 'plain' yogurt.

But the non-fat silliness is just as bad. It's even harder to find real full-fat yogurt, and at my local Whole Foods they literally have no real yogurt in the individual small sizes, all non-fat.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:17 pm

I seldom see full fat in individual sizes, but my local basic supermarket carries Fage, Chobani, Siggi's (skyr) , and others in 2% as well as non-fat. They have at least Fage in full (4%) but in pint and quart sizes.
12g of sugar is high though- is that flavored Brian?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:22 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
I agree with you on sugar/flavor additives being the scourge of contemporary yogurt. It can be quite difficult to find real 'plain' yogurt.

But the non-fat silliness is just as bad. It's even harder to find real full-fat yogurt, and at my local Whole Foods they literally have no real yogurt in the individual small sizes, all non-fat.

Rahsaan:

Being unable to find regular yogurt, and plain, is the reason I make it myself.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Thomas wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

Rahsaan:

Being unable to find regular yogurt, and plain, is the reason I make it myself.

Nice. Something to consider.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:21 pm

I have no fetish with "non fat" items (I think sugar, especially corn syrup, is the real bete noir in the American diet...as I exemplify! :( )

But this was so creamy and delicious I don't care that it was non-fat. And not sickly sweet!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Simple Truth, Kroger's organic brand, is pretty good, thick and with lots of sour (in a good way) yogurty flavor. I'm okay with Chobani plain, too. And find my comfort zone at 2 percent ...
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 am

I eat the Greek brand Fage, 0%...
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:03 pm

I learned to like yogurt years ago in Turkey, yogurt made only from goat milk and eaten only with meat and vegetables, never with fruit or desserts. When we moved to America we found yogurt had become trendy, yogurt made only with cow milk, and eaten only by itself or with fruit or desserts. We discovered we liked to eat cow milk yogurt with fruit, but it just didn't stand up to meat and vegetables, so for years we have always had two yogurt jars in our refrigerator, one for cow milk yogurt and one for goat milk yogurt, which unfortunately isn't always easy to find. (Goats lactate when they want to, not necessarily when you want to buy their milk or yogurt.) Recently we discovered a local farm that sells sheep yogurt, a new experience for me. If this stuff is typical, sheep yogurt is even more delicious than the goat kind, but again it's for eating with meat and vegetables, not with fruit or as a separate dessert.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:31 am

Rahsaan wrote:I agree with you on sugar/flavor additives being the scourge of contemporary yogurt. It can be quite difficult to find real 'plain' yogurt.

They add sugar to far too many things - if you look at the ingredients disclosure you'll be surprised http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/sugar ... h-in-sugar

You have to be careful to buy selectively - why would anyone want added sugar in peanut butter, for example, which should have exactly one ingredient - peanuts?