Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

"Aldi" sous vide machine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

"Aldi" sous vide machine

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 am

So the latest Aldi catalogue has a sous vide machine for $119
http://www.kuchef.com.au/product-catego ... html#tab-2

I'm fascinated by the process as I know many of you here are as well, and the price seems frankly excellent.
I have looked at the instruction manual and the video and the major concern I see is the absence of any stirring mechanism
I think that probably in a closed unit with digital temperature control and the food pouches raised off the base then the temperature should be sufficiently constant. I would however appreciate any thoughts you might have, particularly those of you who have experience or knowledge of the process.

Do I need a sous vide machine umm no
Do i have space for a sous vide machine umm no
Do I want a sous vide machine umm quite possibly. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: "Aldi" sous vide machine

by Jenise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Barbara, let me take a picture of my sous vide 'machine' before you make any purchases. It very especially will address the issue of do you have room for it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Barb,

I have the Sansaire that Jenise is going to show you, and unless the increased cost is determinative, I strongly recommend it over the machine in your link. The Sansaire is $199, and their competitor Anova is $179 - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... s=sansaire

I suspect you have enough vessels in your kitchen to hold water; your sous vide purchase should not include another one. The Sansaire or Anova will heat and move the water in the vessel of your choice.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:45 pm

DSCF0672.JPG

Barbara, here's my 'machine'. The Sansaire Jim mentioned, which is a little shorter and narrower than a 1.5 L bottle of wine, and, for most uses, the Revereware 8 qt pot that my mom bought before I was born. The Sansaire lays down for easy storage and stands up during use, though it doesn't have to rest on the bottom of a pan it can hang on a taller pot--the clip you can see in this photo holds it in place either way. And of course I use the pan for many other things.

The Sansaire not only heats the water but circulates it. It's easy to store, easy to use, no stirring required (most things pretty much float, even though the packets are vacuum-sealed), and you don't have to buy and store a large appliance--you just use it in combination with a pot you already have. Can't recommend it highly enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Jenise said:

which is a little shorter and narrower than a 1.5 L bottle of wine

At first glance, I thought it was a 750, and that you had the new and much cooler mini-Sansaire... :oops:
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:09 pm

HI everyone, thank you so much for your input, I am now convinced that I do not need the Aldi job, as noted I have heaps of containers to heat water! The sansaire gizmo looks more the ticket, addresses the space issue and circulates the water which was of some \concern to me with the Aldi job. Very glad I got your input , I think it would not have been a good investment.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:13 am

Barb Downunder wrote:HI everyone, thank you so much for your input, I am now convinced that I do not need the Aldi job, as noted I have heaps of containers to heat water! The sansaire gizmo looks more the ticket, addresses the space issue and circulates the water which was of some \concern to me with the Aldi job. Very glad I got your input , I think it would not have been a good investment.

Hurray! Jim and I averted an UAA--unnecessary appliance atrocity. All you need is a good immersion circulator to turn any pot you have into a sous vide machine.