Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sharpening Knives

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Sharpening Knives

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:53 am

For my birthday/Fathers Day, one of my sons bought me this Ruixin Pro Knife Sharpener. All I can says is "Wow! This is going to require a learning curve". There are 4 different stones with it and an adjustable base to set it from 10 to 25 degrees. There are a few YouTube videos about how to use it. I'm practicing on a stainless chef's knife that came with an inexpensive set I've had for years. When I think I have it figured out, I'll work on my Japanese chef knife that I've had for 2 years (also a gift from the same son), which has not only lost it's edge but has become jagged. Until now I had been using ceramic sharpeners that one simply draws the knife through and I always wondered why having having knives sharpened was so expensive. Hmm.... Maybe if I get this down pat, I could start a new career. :o
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Sharpening Knives

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 am

I hope you enjoy it, Howie! Keep us posted as you climb up the learning curve.

One thought: Conventional wisdom is that there's not much to be gained from sharpening stainless steel, as the metal is too hard to yield well to anything short of possibly a diamond stone. It'll be interesting to see whether you're more impressed with the results on carbon steel than stainless.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:02 am

Robin Garr wrote:I hope you enjoy it, Howie! Keep us posted as you climb up the learning curve.

One thought: Conventional wisdom is that there's not much to be gained from sharpening stainless steel, as the metal is too hard to yield well to anything short of possibly a diamond stone. It'll be interesting to see whether you're more impressed with the results on carbon steel than stainless.
Thanks for that tip.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:21 pm

I'll be curious to hear how this goes as well. I have a three-way stone set, and I've never been able to get the kind of edge that the guy who charges for it does.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 am

Can't count how many friends are under the impression that using a steel on a knife sharpens it (it doesn't, it just resets the curled edge so it bites better for awhile), so even your motor driven grinder is a step ahead of that, though I hate what they do to good knives.

I have to agree with Robin that while stainless knives will keep an edge a long time, getting them sharp again is a pain and possibly a job better left to a knife shop. Just about every knife I use regularly is high carbon steel which takes a sharper edge to begin with and is much quicker to touch up or sharpen in any case.

I use a two sided Japanese stone for my knives and if you watch a decent video of the technique, you actually won't need the angled rests etc. - those are helpers for beginners. Try that system and see if you like it, but also try just a stone and see if that suits you. And buy at least one decent high carbon steel blade so you can assess the difference.