Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grits in Louisville.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Grits in Louisville.

by Hoke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Was on a quickie business trip to River City, Lousiville. Stayed at the wonderful 21c Art Museum/Hotel so had occasion to combine dining and drinking in the bar at Proof On Main.

They had some great Nduja/Bison Mear Balls---just the right touch of spiciness in the sauce and the bison was not too dry---and when I saw the Weissenberger Grits, of course I had to go atavistic and get me some on the side.

Essentially cheese grits, they were pretty good. On the plump, creamy side of the spectrum for grits. Weissenberger is apparently a local gritsgrinder; never had them when I lived there before back in the 1990s. Thing is, I stopped in the downtown Bristol's across from Whiskey Row, and they had Weissenberger Grits on the menu as well, so they must be fairly popular.

I'm sure Robin has some info and background on them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Grits in Louisville.

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:39 pm

"On the creamy side" describes the grits I like least of all--not that this is about me. But honestly, I don't get lathering them up with so much cream and cheese that the flavor of the underlying grain virtually disappears. It's like, if you have to do all that then maybe you don't really like grits.

But speaking of grits, just read a recipe for 'quinoa grits'. Basically uses the same ratio--4:1 of water to grain. Interesting idea for a nutritious corn alternative for those that swing that way--not that I think anything can improve on grits' flavor, no sir. "Make the grits In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the leeks and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Whisk in the quinoa and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and porridge-like, about 25 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and season with salt and pepper; keep warm."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov