Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen Remodel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Kitchen Remodel

by Jenise » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Btw, now that the front door is 'hung' at the mighty Seymour, what's holding up the portal at Palmerston?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Btw, now the front door is 'hung' at the mighty Seymour, what's holding up the portal at Palmerston?

Well we just stapled a piece of plastic across it - getting kind of cold, though.......

Actually, I just had the guys pick up a generic (aka cheap) solid core door in the right size and plug the hole. It will do fine until we move hopefully late Jan or early Feb.

The cut out is made in the cellar for the cooling unit - I chose a WhisperKOOL Extreme 8000ti. Then they need to spray foam the cellar and drywall it and we can get some racks in there!

PS - the cellar door looks so nice that I don't think I can bring myself to put the Ravenswood sticker I've been saving for year on it.

Not the version that says 'No Wimpy Wines', the one that says 'Nullum Vinum Flaccidum".
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Minor update - having a piece of stained glass set into an old door to use for my upstairs study/listening room (this house will have 3 significant sound systems - one of my hobbies/passions.

The glass was one of those things you buy when you see them even though you don't have a particular use in mind at the time. I also have a pair of other windows from an old house that have been sitting unused for a dozen years so I decided I'd finally get to incorporating these into the decor. The house already has quite a bit of stained glass in it.

Other news - new double glazed sliders for the upstairs balconies arriving today, to be installed this week.

Kitchen and stairs to family room have been refinished in oak and are being coated today and tomorrow. Kitchen cabinets arrive Monday so we need to get the paint in the kitchen done before that.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:19 pm

You're keeping those carpenters busy. Sounds like terrific progress--pretty much right on schedule. And nobody's died yet! After what happened on my project, I figured everyone had those. :) )
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Yeah, haven't had anyone expire yet.

Cabinets in by next Wed., then another c. 10 days for the counter tops (can't take those guys for granite!), and appliances. Then I can boil water again!

Waiting on the carpet guy to do the cellar before we can knock together the racking for the wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Where you gonna put this window I saw in your shed last week? And does Suzanne know about it?

stainedglassnude.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:16 pm

That one goes in the garage.....
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:59 pm

A friend just sent me a site with stickers for your garage door.

This is really a roll up door - I like it!

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 pm

That would be a fine addition to your home!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Update:

Kitchen cabinet carcasses all in place and granite guys arriving today with counter tops, after which the cabinet shop just needs to finalize cabinet outers.

Appliances arrive Tuesday.

New carpet already in guest room, my study and wine cellar (yes, I could have gone with a hard floor, but bouncing bottles beat smashing bottles every time.

Wine racking being built.

Waiting on living room antique mantle installation before carpeting that room and master bed room.

We spend our evenings culling all the clutter we have amassed in several decades. Started out with "That looks like it might come in handy some day" and have now shifted to "If we never needed it in the last 20 years we probably never will - toss it or give it away!"

Of course my experience with restoring old cars indicates that you always need an item the day after you gave it away or tossed it out, and the corollary is that when you go looking for an item and can't locate it, the item always mysteriously appears right after you went out and bought a new one.

One thing I am going to do is unload a large collection of quite old empties - Jenise, if you want any first growth bottles for display, let me know sooner rather than later.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Bill, thanks. I have a 'museum', that is a shelf of bottles I liked too much to throw away, but no room for empties of bottles I did not participate in the drinking of.

As for tossing stuff out--don't worry about the thing you might realize you need the day after you toss them away. The one in 500 items that will turn out to be true of can be replaced. But meanwhile you're not buried in the other 499. You're still 'money' (peace of mind) ahead. Way ahead.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Amen, brothers and sisters! I need me some of this religion, too.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Update.

Have moved a few hundred Rhododendrons over, the wine cellar is almost completed (room for 4500 bb), the kitchen tiled backsplashes were finished today (only a couple of moldings still needed) and we move in on Tuesday!

I'll post pics of the before and after kitchen when we get it tidied up.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Can't wait to see it, Bill. Good luck tomorrow!
Previous