Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

That thing everybody else loves, but you don't

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

That thing everybody else loves, but you don't

by Jenise » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:39 pm

I'll bet we all have one in the closet.

For me? It's fingerling potatoes. They're dense, they don't get crisp or even brown especially well, and fully cooked they still feel half raw to me. I don't buy them, but they've become ubiquitous in restaurants and so I get many chances to re-test my aversion. Last Friday, for instance. And much as I truly adore all other species of potato, if the kitchen sends out fingerlings on my plate they'll get them back.

What's yours?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: That thing everybody else loves, but you don't

by John Treder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Bananas.
I was told, many years later, that I'd spit them out when I was fed them as a baby.
They contaminate the taste with their airplane-dope smell and taste. I've learned to be polite and pick around them or even eat bits of banana on occasion.
But bananas are anathema to me.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:03 pm

I'm not fond of bananas, which I call "the natural fruit with the artificial flavor," but I'll eat them, and I've had some pretty memorable desserts with them.

But probably the best answer here for me is "apples." The all-American fruit, I know, but I just don't like them. I like pears, I love peaches, but apples just don't ring my chimes and never have. I really dislike them raw, and find them "meh" in most cooked desserts, unless it's something like a tarte tatin, where the pastry is so good, and the apples so well seasoned, that I endure their presence.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:12 am

Pineapple on baked ham. I like them both, but not together. All it does is make the pineapple taste good, but totally ruins the taste of the ham.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:
But probably the best answer here for me is "apples."

Just so many different varieties of apples, with so many different textures and tastes.

In the US I've had the red flavourless ones they have in bowls in hotel receptions but I'm sure there ar emany gourmet flavoursome ones available.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 am

Cheese.

It's increadingly hard to find a meal that hasn't had the stuff added to it.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Truffles and caviar. I can eat them, but I've never had them where I thought either added anything special to the meal or appetizer.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Peter May wrote:... I'm sure there ar emany gourmet flavoursome ones available.

Of course there are. In apple-growing country (much of the nation) you can get all manner of heirloom varieties.

I still don't like them. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Peter May wrote:Cheese.

Where are you eating?! Fast food places and the like may sneak in cheese because it's fatty and it tastes good. But most serious places respect the dishes and the cultural traditions (not much cheese in East Asian food!) and only include cheese when necessary.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Foie Gras

I like calves liver, Braunschweiger, pate, chicken livers, terrines, etc.

Didn't like foie gras.

Dunno.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:11 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Peter May wrote:Cheese.

Where are you eating?! Fast food places and the like may sneak in cheese because it's fatty and it tastes good. But most serious places respect the dishes and the cultural traditions (not much cheese in East Asian food!) and only include cheese when necessary.

If you don't have an issue with cheese then you probably don't notice how prevalent it is.

As for sneaking it in :)

It used to be that one paid extra to have cheese on your burger, but cheeseburger seems now to be the standard Side/starter salads regularly have grated/sprinkled cheese ...

As for east asian food. For the past few years I have been pre-ordering Asian or Hindu Vegetarian meals on flights after a trans Atlantic flight with America Airlines where every single dish* over two meals had cheese in them. Now Paneer curry seems to keep coming up. Doh!

Salad with lots of Feta crumbled all through it
Lasagne
Cheesecake
Cheese & crackers

Hot bagette filled with ham and melted cheese
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Peter May wrote:It's increasingly hard to find a meal that hasn't had the stuff added to it.

Peter, is this an aversion or an allergy? Personally I can hardly imagine life without cheese, but have you considered ordering a vegan meal from the airlines? Vegan, a step beyond vegetarianism that shuns dairy, eggs and any food of animal origin - has become quite the trend, at least on this side of the water, and I'd think US based airlines must offer it as a meal option now.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Peter May wrote: It used to be that one paid extra to have cheese on your burger, but cheeseburger seems now to be the standard Side/starter salads regularly have grated/sprinkled cheese ...

This is all fast food. And I too have noticed that such places rely on cheese (and dried fruits in salads) to 'amp up' the flavor. But I have not noticed it in the more serious restaurants (not necessarily fancy) that I prefer to patronize. Which is admittedly a biased sample, but it is also a universe that I would think most of the people on this board prefer to patronize.

As for east asian food. For the past few years I have been pre-ordering Asian or Hindu Vegetarian meals on flights after a trans Atlantic flight with America Airlines where every single dish* over two meals had cheese in them. Now Paneer curry seems to keep coming up. Doh!

Do you fly that much that airline food selections is a big deal? I pretty much just write off all their offerings and buy something in the airport. Which is another topic of conversation because in my experience airports have been getting a lot better and more cosmopolitan with their food choices over the past 10 years.

But for east Asian, if you find cheese in your Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian or Chinese food, then something is really going wrong!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Foie Gras

Didn't like foie gras.

Dunno.

Only tried it once?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Do you fly that much that airline food selections is a big deal? I pretty much just write off all their offerings and buy something in the airport. Which is another topic of conversation because in my experience airports have been getting a lot better and more cosmopolitan with their food choices over the past 10 years.

Yes I do.. When I am in the air for 8, 13 or 24 hours I want something hot that doesn't have cheese.

Rahsaan wrote:But for east Asian, if you find cheese in your Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian or Chinese food, then something is really going wrong!

Maybe, but I've tried Japanese and it's not for me, never had Korean or Viet and no Korean, Malay or Viet in my city, and I'm over Chinese.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Pickles and Olives.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:59 am

Anything that tastes like licorice including candy or herbs such as fennel and anise; and cilantro.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 am

Jenise wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:Foie Gras

Didn't like foie gras.

Dunno.

Only tried it once?

Yes, you're right. A long time ago. We, and another foodie couple, made it at home. Seared briefly and served with a cherry sauce. I don't even remember what I didn't like about it. I just remember being somewhat upset that I didn't like it because it is supposed to be such a treat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:55 pm

I know you're a good cook, Fred, so I mean nothing by wondering out loud if you'd had it prepared by a chef you greatly admire, would you have been in a different mindset and loved it? Considering that you otherwise enjoy liver, it would seem there's no reason for you to not have fallen for one of the highest forms of liverdom possible. I actually don't otherwise care for fresh liver, but I love foie gras.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Jenise wrote:I know you're a good cook, Fred, so I mean nothing by wondering out loud if you'd had it prepared by a chef you greatly admire, would you have been in a different mindset and loved it? Considering that you otherwise enjoy liver, it would seem there's no reason for you to not have fallen for one of the highest forms of liverdom possible. I actually don't otherwise care for fresh liver, but I love foie gras.

Thanks, Jenise. I think it may be time to give it another go! I didn't like lobster the first time I had it either. Tasted like dirt to me. I'm glad I tried it the second time!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:27 am

My entry would be artichokes. Pulling the leaves off and dipping them in whatever is too labor intensive for something that doesn't taste that good. Don't generally like the hearts, either. I've had one preparation that I can remember that I thought was ok (it involved small artichokes that were halved, marinated, and grilled). Even those were just ok, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:40 am

Mine is saffron. I'll tolerate it, but it always makes everything taste and smell vaguely fishy to me.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:10 am

Geez, I like ALL of the things that have been mentioned, and I can't even think of an answer to that question.

I realize that this is something that is wrong with me.

I have often thought that if there was ONE world cuisine that I didn't think was delicious, I wouldn't have a problem with my weight.

Anyway the new WW plan has me at nearly 50 pounds down from my initial WW weight, and I eat and greatly enjoy just about everything.

Well, I don't think I like balut but neither do most people.

Haggis? Love it. I'm hopeless.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Geez, I like ALL of the things that have been mentioned, and I can't even think of an answer to that question.
I realize that this is something that is wrong with me.

Not at all! You're the lucky one.
Next