Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

That thing everybody else loves, but you don't

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: That thing everybody else loves, but you don't

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Truffles and caviar. I can eat them, but I've never had them where I thought either added anything special to the meal or appetizer.

No white truffles? Jo Ann yout taste is not perfect as I thought.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Like Frank, I pretty much love every cuisine. There's no food that I don't eat, though I can't say that I'd usually order anything with pineapple. That's probably closest. I haven't eaten sweets in 25 years, but that's not because I don't think they taste good, just neurosis.
A life without foie gras, truffles, apples, caviar, pickles, artichokes, or haggis- oh the humanity!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Like Frank, I pretty much love every cuisine. There's no food that I don't eat, though I can't say that I'd usually order anything with pineapple. That's probably closest. I haven't eaten sweets in 25 years, but that's not because I don't think they taste good, just neurosis.
A life without foie gras, truffles, apples, caviar, pickles, artichokes, or haggis- oh the humanity!

Haggis? :( I would rather eat at Chipotle for the rest of the weekend.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:02 am

I am with Frank, haggis (this I have had) were like a very tasty, savoury mince.
Served with all the trimmings of course, the pipes the ode to the haggis, neeps and of course a wee dram!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Truffles and caviar. I can eat them, but I've never had them where I thought either added anything special to the meal or appetizer.

No white truffles? Jo Ann yout taste is not perfect as I thought.

Truffles are okay. But, just okay in my book. Neither truffles nor caviar gave me that heady experience like the first time I had an expertly made cioppino or paella and I came to learn the common ingredient was saffron. Or the first time I had Tanquerey gin.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Jo Ann, I like your food EPIPHANY !!!!! moments.
In defense of caviar, since I have the privilege of immediately processing sturgeon eggs as soon as they are harvested, there is no similarity between the freshly cured eggs and ANY other commercially available sturgeon caviar. I also thought caviar ghastly until I got enlisted as kitchen help during the ice fishing season. That was my EPIPHANY !!!! Lemon vodka shots not necessary but adds to the Russian ambiance.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Jo Ann, what I find unusual about your reaction to truffles is that you're more or less in the middle vs. experiencing either love or hate, which I think is the more typical reaction. Most people seem to either be strongly attracted to it--almost an animal thing--or something close to repulsed. Put me down with the animals--and btw, I have a similar reaction to the aroma of certain well-aged wines, Bordeaux and Rhones in particular. They seem to excite in a similar way.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Jo Ann, what I find unusual about your reaction to truffles is that you're more or less in the middle vs. experiencing either love or hate, which I think is the more typical reaction. Most people seem to either be strongly attracted to it--almost an animal thing--or something close to repulsed. Put me down with the animals--and btw, I have a similar reaction to the aroma of certain well-aged wines, Bordeaux and Rhones in particular. They seem to excite in a similar way.

I love the way truffles smell. But the taste doesn't deliver on the promise for me. Caviar - Eh!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 am

I'm with you on caviar. But I didn't even mention it, as in my case I'm squeamish on the subject of 'eggs' so it didn't seem like a legitimate claim. Whereas potatoes. Love all the others, but fingerlings are worthless. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 pm

I am also blessed to enjoy all the things. I admit I don't like lemon/orange/citrus in sweets and candies as much as everyone else, but that's about it. Maybe dried shrimp, I like it in small quantities but some people really like it.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:29 am

Walter -- that reminds me of something. We cooked our way through Julia Child's cookbooks, not every recipe but many cookbooks not just Mastering. And one facet of her taste that I didn't quite understand was that she liked to load up desserts with apricots. Apricots are OK in my book but they aren't so special that I want the flavor to dominate an otherwise very special dessert.

Citrus -- I would almost agree but a friend made an orange cake and I brought a good Sauternes and the combination was fireworks, the orange cake brought out beautiful flavors in the wine and the wine made the dessert taste spectacular. So I guess I am not against citrus in desserts.

Maybe apricots have a similarly synergistic effect with Sauternes? I haven't tried the combo.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:50 am

Frank Deis wrote: Maybe apricots have a similarly synergistic effect with Sauternes? I haven't tried the combo.

I can offer you this: they do.

I have also been in Burgundy when apricots were ripening--the bakeries were full of amazing fresh apricot pastries. And it's probably the most fragile fruit in the world--incredible when tree-ripened, poor when not, short season, short shelf life--they are quite precious things and those of us who love them never get enough. I haven't noticed Julia's obsession with them, but to me it's entirely understandable.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:05 pm

I can't think of any particular food I dislike. But what I don't like are some food pairings that seem to be pretty popular.

Any kind of fruit (sauce or chopped) w/ Meats, Chocolate & Red Wine are my 2 most disliked pairings.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:48 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:I can't think of any particular food I dislike. But what I don't like are some food pairings that seem to be pretty popular.

Any kind of fruit (sauce or chopped) w/ Meats, Chocolate & Red Wine are my 2 most disliked pairings.

My wife agrees with you on the fruit-and-meat thing. I'm not a huge fan of that but once in a while I'll come across a recipe with that combo that looks good to me. I'm free to cook it up as long as I plan on eating alone.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'm free to cook it up as long as I plan on eating alone.

Well, as long as the rules are clear. 8)
no avatar
User

tuấn.anh-trần

Rank

Just got here

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:05 am

by tuấn.anh-trần » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:08 am

I think it is bananas, eating them make me feel sick :oops: :oops:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:04 pm

tuấn.anh-trần wrote:I think it is bananas, eating them make me feel sick :oops: :oops:

So is that just plain repulsion (like me facing a liquid abortion--I men, runny egg yolk) or is that an allergy? :)

Welcome to the group. I see you're from 'Moody'; Port Moody by any chance? If so, we're almost neighbors.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Coffee for me. It makes me nauseous - even the smell, before I lost my sense of smell.

The first time my high school girlfriend invited me for dinner, her parents served a mocha pudding for desert. I struggled manfully to get it down, but I wasn't a happy bunny. Maybe that's why the relationship didn't last :D.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Ted Richards wrote:Coffee for me. It makes me nauseous - even the smell, before I lost my sense of smell.

The first time my high school girlfriend invited me for dinner, her parents served a mocha pudding for desert. I struggled manfully to get it down, but I wasn't a happy bunny. Maybe that's why the relationship didn't last :D.

I feel the same way about the flavor of butterscotch, and it was a pudding that got me, too. First grade. I've never gotten over it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:38 am

Yup - duck a l'orange. Yech!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Yup - duck a l'orange. Yech!

I love it! But the critical issue is: balance. Has to be a lot of salt and tang there to carry the sweet.
Previous