Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Santa Fe ??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Santa Fe ??

by Mike_F » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:16 am

Going to Santa Fe (NM) for a conference and have a couple of free evenings. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Santa Fe ??

by Frank Deis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15 pm

For what it's worth I thought I could help, and tried, but it turns out the restaurant I heard such good things about that I bought the cookbook, Elote Cafe, is in Sedona Arizona. And thinking about our Grand Canyon trip I'm not sure we even got over to New Mexico. I did dig around on Yelp! for Santa Fe but I won't presume to tell you the results, heck, you can do that yourself. If you don't have the Yelp! app on your phone just google Yelp Santa Fe NM best restaurants. There are some nice sounding Mexican places and a wine bar, at least.

I'd like to visit Santa Fe some day, and what with the Hatch chilis and my favorite chili powder coming from Chimayo -- I would have the same reasons to visit NM as I do to visit Iceland. Scenery, birding, and food. NM "Mexican" is worlds away from Tex Mex.

PS and one of the best American wineries for Bubbly (including California!) is Gruet in Albuquerque
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Red Sage. Loved it last time I was there. More names shortly....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:05 am

I was there last year but had no great success finding places. So, forget I posted this. :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 am

Thank you all!

Jenise - Red Sage looks good online, if you have any others please don't hesitate.

cheers,

mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm

It's been several years but my wife and I shared a very nice meal at La Boca. Very good food and an interesting selection of wines, too. So if you're in the mood for tapas, it's worth looking into. If you want to explore first, you should easily find it via Google.

As for Frank's advice about Gruet sparkling wines, you might want to exercise caution. It had been a go-to QPR sparkler around here for long enough that on the same trip we made a pilgrimage to the tasting room in Albuquerque, a weird building in an odd location, a faux castle next to an RV dealer on a frontage road with freeway traffic whizzing by. Gruet "partnered with" (read: was acquired by) a larger firm a couple of years ago and the impression here is that quality has suffered. There's a thread on this subject in the wine forum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Yes, Gruet is no longer exclusively New Mexico fruit. However, a bottle a friend shared a few months ago surprised me for how good it was, and this was post the conversation here about the supposed drop in quality. Our bottle did not bear that out.

Back to restaurants: Mike, I'm a big fan of the Coyote Café (and it's sister restaurant Geronimo). Coyote's been around a long time and it's chef-owner Mark Miller is probably the guy who put Southwestern Cuisine on the national map. When I was there last I was afraid it might have turned stale or that quality suffered in the long years I was gone, but I didn't find that on my plate. I also loved the more casual Mexican food at Tomasita's.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:01 am

Yes, Gruet is no longer exclusively New Mexico fruit. However, a bottle a friend shared a few months ago surprised me for how good it was, and this was post the conversation here about the supposed drop in quality. Our bottle did not bear that out.

Back to restaurants: Mike, I'm a big fan of the Coyote Café (and it's sister restaurant Geronimo). Coyote's been around a long time and it's chef-owner Mark Miller is probably the guy who put Southwestern Cuisine on the national map. When I was there last I was afraid it might have turned stale or that quality suffered in the long years I was gone, but I didn't find that on my plate. I also loved the more casual Mexican food at Tomasita's.

Gruet was purchased by PreceptBrands almost two yrs ago. It says on the front label "Proudly Produced in NewMexico". But on the back label it says "American (Sparkling) Wine". Rather cynical false advertising I'd say.
Now, most of the wines is made from grapes imported from WashState/Calif/Texas. Over the the last yr, the Gruets I've tried are not what they used to be.

SantaFe restaurants:
I don't eat much at the high-end SF restaurants (Compound/Geronimos/Coyote/SantaCafe) so can't speak from experince.
I prefer more casual/interesting restaurants. Some of my faves are LoyalHound/Fire&Hops/TerraCottaWineBistro/LaBoca/DrFieldGoods/Vinegarette.
For samwichs, DrFieldGoods Butcher Shop is amazing. And the Cheesemonger shop is not to be missed. For Italian: IlPiatto/Andiamo are very good. For NM food, which I don't eat much: TheShed/LaChoza are my favorites. Tomasita's is a bit on the bland side and pretty touristy.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Geronimo/Coyote

by TomHill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Back to restaurants: Mike, I'm a big fan of the Coyote Café (and it's sister restaurant Geronimo). Coyote's been around a long time and it's chef-owner Mark Miller is probably the guy who put Southwestern Cuisine on the national map. When I was there last I was afraid it might have turned stale or that quality suffered in the long years I was gone, but I didn't find that on my plate. I also loved the more casual Mexican food at Tomasita's.

Jenise,
MarkMiller has long been gone from Coyote...though I still occasionally see him around town. It was sold to
Eric deStefano, chef at Geronimo, and Quinn Stevenson. Don't know about Coyote, but Geronimo uses a 500%
markup (200% is more common, about 2X retail) , which I think is rapicious. When I commented to the owner one time,
he gave me this look like I'm a PoS (Kansas colloquialism) and said (condescendingly) "Our customers are willing to
pay our prices for the very best". Never darkened their door again.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Shucks re the Coyote. Didn't realize it sold but now I understand why it's referred to as Geronimo's sister restaurant. The markup you speak of is awful. But I do remember thinking the markup in New Mexico about the highest I've seen anywhere. 300% seemed about the bottom of the range. 500% is asinine.

Vinaigrette--I did eat there, liked it a lot. Would add to your endorsement.