Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Mississippi Roast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Mississippi Roast

by Jenise » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:27 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: The Mississippi Roast

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm

I've never heard of that, either, and now I'm curious. It's interesting that the "improved" recipe didn't seem to result in much of a change in flavor (although I have to think the chemical "bite" would be gone). Sounds worth trying.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:51 pm

It had me wondering about the pepperoncini. I love peppers. I love vinegary foods. Which is the goal of the recipe in adding them, though? I couldn't quite make it out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 am

Jenise wrote:It had me wondering about the pepperoncini. I love peppers. I love vinegary foods. Which is the goal of the recipe in adding them, though? I couldn't quite make it out.

The "low vinegar zip," apparently.
To see what the fuss was about, I set out to make Mississippi Roast myself. An initial run at the recipe, strictly as written, yielded a tangle of soft and luscious beef, richly flavored with butter and salt, with a low vinegar zip from the pickled peppers. There was a faint chemical bite, yes, from the packaged dressing and gravy, but the dish was objectively good, even delicious.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah, I can see the value of the pepperoncinis although I would think that you would want to add a fair number of them.

Yes, precisely. One version of the recipe mentioned two--pretty much a why bother iMO.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child