Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Okay so Chef Blackinton is why...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Okay so Chef Blackinton is why...

by Jenise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:36 pm

...I came home from Costa Rica in December, though I was convinced I had a recurrence of the horrible infection that got me in L.A. last year, I waited for two days before seeking medical help. That's because Jared Blackinton was cooking dinner for my local wine group at my house the next day! So we had the dinner, we killed the bottles, I passed out blankets and pillows and in the morning made toast and coffee. As soon as they left, I was on my way to the hospital. But miss this meal? In my own house??? No way!

He's up for the James Beard award again this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KHjCgvAJF4&feature=youtu.be
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Okay so Chef Blackinton is why...

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:22 pm

:shock: :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Okay so Chef Blackinton is why...

by Jenise » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:48 pm

The worst part is that I couldn't hang out in the kitchen with the chefs. He made the most amazing beet I've ever had in my life. I know, just a beet. But he did some combination of low heat smoking followed by direct-fire roasting that resulted in slices not just the color of but the texture of a black-and-blue steak. And it didn't really taste like a beet anymore. Forget molecular gastronomy, THAT was magic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov