Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So, there was a ham

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So, there was a ham

by Jenise » Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm

A big ham. 15 pounds, which is probably bigger than the one Dorothy Parker was talking about when she defined eternity as "two people and a ham". This one was made by the local ham people Hempler's, spiral sliced which I wouldn't normally choose, but I paid just $1.99 a pound for it. Strangely, I who love ham above almost all other meats, happened to have been walking past the meat cases for the dairy cabinets beyond when the store butcher who didn't know from Eve turned my way with the track-stopping question, "Like ham?"

I couldn't not have it. After a few days ruminating about my options, which were narrowed by being pre-sliced, I studded it with cloves and slathered it in blood orange marmalade and baked it off. We gnawed on it for a week and I eventually broke it down into several large clumps and froze the rest. I haven't purchased any fresh protein in about a month because I'm trying to use down my over-filled freezer.

So the turn came for a clump of ham. When thawed, it turned out to be the clump attached to the bone. I stared at it for half a day while working, separately, on details for our upcoming Burgundy trip and until the obvious occurred to me. The Burgundian classic ham and parsley terrine! So into a pot went the ham, bone and all, water and white wine which after an hour resulted in a brown broth due to the brown-black exterior of parts of the ham (I deliberately baked it until the sugars blackened in part). I didn't think it very attractive but the flavor was just lightly sweet and complex, so I poured in a raft of egg white to clarify it and now had a beautiful clear broth about the color of a good tawny port. The body of the terrine is the ham and parsley, with fresh fennel and orange peel to play up the flavors of the baked ham.

The result? Divine.

ham terrine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: So, there was a ham

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Oh, Jenise, that sounds terrific!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 05, 2016 2:52 pm

I think we've only had one jambon persille at my terrine event and I've been waiting for someone else to do one. Maybe it is your year, since you are headed to Burgundy and can come back with inside knowledge on variations of the dish?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I think we've only had one jambon persille at my terrine event and I've been waiting for someone else to do one. Maybe it is your year, since you are headed to Burgundy and can come back with inside knowledge on variations of the dish?

Two. I made one, Geo's son Rick made the other. Mine was pretty long ago though so I forgive you for not recalling it. For that one I did the classic Julia Child recipe, however I had to mess with it (as I always do) and grind some ham to add the visual splendor of layers.

This one is superb. Rewards a good chenin blanc!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov