Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any Tips On Dried Fruit Stuffing For Turkey?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Any Tips On Dried Fruit Stuffing For Turkey?

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:02 am

Zari and I have a 25 pounder left over from Christmas which we intend to make soonest. I will probably brine the bird in some kind of flavorful liquid, but it also needs to be filled (my cooking being the farce that it is).

My thoughts wandered to a savory/sweet dried fruit (apricots, dates, apples, pears, cherries, cranberries, bayberries) and maybe a few nuts type of stuffing ... either with or without bread. I was also thinking in terms of including a touch of saffron since this bird will be consumed by Iranian guests.

Anybody have any recipes or tips in this direction?

Thanks!!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Any Tips On Dried Fruit Stuffing For Turkey?

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:51 pm

No specific recipe but a few associations with Iranian.... what about a coarsely ground bulghur pilaf with currants and roasted pine nuts ? I am not a fan of overly sweet stuffings so I would not be inclined to the larger dried fruits unless finely diced and only a small amount. Currants on the other hand are the right size and sweet intensity that would not overwhelm yet complement the savory notes. Of course lots of IOTM minced, browned with garlic mixed with the bulghur cooked in turkey stock. Not sure what the consistency of the bulghur and pine nuts would be after cookin in the bird for hours.
Just free associating here...
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Any Tips On Dried Fruit Stuffing For Turkey?

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 pm

The roasted pine nuts I like. (Pignoli ... I know, I know cookies pinoli cookies were my childhood favorites.) Them seem to make more sense than pistacchios which seems to be the Persian nut of choice.
And now what?