Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:43 pm

As Jenise said, here in the US tomatoes are available year round, but the downside is that, except in-season at farmer's markets, they aren't picked vine-ripe. They are picked green and exposed to ethylene, which triggers the ripening process. But it's not the same thing, and the result is more like a golf ball than a vine-ripened tomato.

I don't bother to peel tomatoes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:52 pm

I believe a few days ago I said I would make an asparagus and morel risotto. Unfortunately, I'm out of the right rice and my one foray out was to a store whose shelves for rice and beans remain fairly barren. So last night I used those two great ingredients along with shaved green garlic in a saute that got stuffed inside a buckwheat crepe with just a bit of grated Jarlsberg sprinkled on top and some roasted cherry tomatoes (the kind still on the vine for a super cool look). Of course, dinner started with a salad of mixed spicy leaves and herbs from my garden and a Dijon vinaigrette to complete the French feel of the meal. Burgundy with that.

Tonight I'm making cheese tortellini in a brown butter-sage sauce.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:34 pm

I've been going through my sourdough starters one-by-one every few days perfecting a sourdough bread recipe baked en cloche, using my big dutch oven. (It's also an excuse to feed my starters.) The last one was my mild Nebraska starter.

Even the quasi-failures are good and very flavorful because I use a percentage of whole grains and keto flours, such as almond, hazelnut, coconut, etc. I've also been using a bit of powdered orange rind and a pinch of cardamon to these batches--can't taste them, but they add something to the overall flavor.

My neighbors are happy because I give away half of what I make. I also encourage Edie to eat bread; she's thin as a rail.

I always get a chuckle when people think I live in a hot, hot flat desert with nothing but saguaros and other cacti. In reality, I live at 5800 feet, with a 10,000-ft mountain to my east about two miles away. Several days ago it rained lightly throughout the night and into the morning. Even so, later that day the humidity hit 5 percent. Today, I woke up to 49 degrees outside (going up to 76 degrees this afternoon) with about 36% humidity. The point of this is that it affects the water content of flour, and you have to compensate for it.

And New Mexico has no saguaros. That's Arizona. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:44 am

Tonight its ratatouille. I made it this morning to let the flavours meld and because we were supposed to be going out for a long walk this afternoon - but maybe not now as it's raining.

Nothing complex: 3 courgettes chopped and sautéed until browned, then 2 chopped peppers softened and the added to with 2 red onions chopped and as they soften three garlic cloves added. Meanwhile thickly sliced oiled aubergine is browning under broiler, then quartered and added to pan along with courgettes and 2 cans Italian plum tomatoes (roughly chopped) and their juices.

Black pepper and Provencal herbs milled into pan, then put in oven for 40 minutes at low heat, then own turned off.

Will be served with crisp French bread and a bottle of Cotes du Rhone
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:My neighbors are happy because I give away half of what I make. I also encourage Edie to eat bread; she's thin as a rail.

From what you've said, she doesn't eat much!

I love New Mexico. Only reason I chose Washington over NM was my concern about the altitude (lifelong asthma/compromised lungs). Otherwise we might have been neighbors!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:49 pm

And tonight's dinner plan: corned beef. Wagyu from Snake River Farms in Idaho. Outstanding stuff. What I haven't decided is how to finish it, except that it won't be the conventional boiled potatoes and cabbage.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:40 pm

Peter May wrote:Black pepper and Provencal herbs milled into pan, then put in oven for 40 minutes at low heat, then own turned off.

Will be served with crisp French bread and a bottle of Cotes du Rhone

Sounds delightful.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 am

AST night I made a chicken fricasee, tasted pretty good!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:30 am

Tonight, Chilli sans carne

Crushed chick peas in place of meat. served with wholemeal pita bread. Yet to decide on wine
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:21 pm

We're having the Picky People over. Here's a recent comment which shows you what I'm up against, "I like pork chops, but I don't like pork roast." [HEAVY SIGH]. But of course I love them to death.

Am going to be doing a giant prime tomahawk steak which we'll share four ways, a Potato gratin, peas and a garlicky green salad with sourdough croutons. The gratin might go Savoyarde (cheese, and broth instead of cream) to enable me to do creamed peas for a different kind of vegetable. I'm interested in stretching the limits of their tolerance without being downright confrontational.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Jenise wrote:We're having the Picky People over. Here's a recent comment which shows you what I'm up against, "I like pork chops, but I don't like pork roast." [HEAVY SIGH].

You haven't met one of my brothers. The only vegetables he eats are french fries and corn. Really.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:You haven't met one of my brothers. The only vegetables he eats are french fries and corn. Really.

That was my brother growing up. He ate only: pizza, chicken soup, and one other thing.

He's better now.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:42 am

Peter May wrote:Tonight, Chilli sans carne

Crushed chick peas in place of meat. served with wholemeal pita bread. Yet to decide on wine

I settled on Mc Manis Lodi Petite Sirah but found we've drunk it all, so had to reorder.

Instead we had 2015 Quinta do Crasto Douro Reserva Old Vines. This comes from a 70 year old vineyard planted to many varieties, some of which they can't identify. Lovely stuff...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:08 am

Peter May wrote:
Peter May wrote:Tonight, Chilli sans carne

I settled on Mc Manis Lodi Petite Sirah but found we've drunk it all, so had to reorder.

For someone who worships pinotage, I can't imagine anything more opposite than a Lodi Petite Sirah!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:48 pm

I was about to comment that it is a rare person who tastes petite sirah and orders more!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Some kind of chicken breast recipe tonight. Bought some jicama today, which I really like. I eat it plain, with lime juice, or chili powder or cayenne pepper. Makes a good substitute for water chestnuts, too.

While I ponder tonight's meal, I'm sipping on a gin & tonic. Mmmm. mmmm.... Gotta keep my quinine level up to fight the covid-19 virus that was supposed to disappear in April. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Tonight I'm making a Chinese paella. Not a known thing but my own invention--same method, different ingredients. Star anise and ginger in the broth, and shrimp, fresh shitakes and sugar snap peas for the chunky bits.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:03 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I was about to comment that it is a rare person who tastes petite sirah and orders more!

As this board shows, we all have different tastes...

We put the McManis Petite Sirah as one of the wines on the tables at our wine clubs Christmas dinner a couple of years ago and it was very popular. The McManis is a longtime favourite of this family.

Jenise wrote:For someone who worships pinotage, I can't imagine anything more opposite than a Lodi Petite Sirah!

Life would be dull drinking only one variety. We don't see much Petite Sirah here; McManis's version is great.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:11 pm

Actually, we don't see much Petite Sirah here either.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Peter May wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:I was about to comment that it is a rare person who tastes petite sirah and orders more!

As this board shows, we all have different tastes...

Indeed!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Making a Spanish platter of chorizo and stuff to gnosh on during a Zoom call: the topic is white rioja and the host sent everyone a bottle of smoked spanish olive oil. I bought a loaf of black olive bread to dip in it. That will be dinner.

Spent the morning picking up groceries for the next few days. Found arborio rice--first time since the pandemic started I've seen it, and I've been looking. I keep two lists now. One for the gotta haves and another for pantry replacements if and when I see them again. Was lucky to find a frozen duck on my second stop. Needed for tomorrow where I'm going to attempt to re-enact our favorite meal from our honeymoon 34 years ago.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Whipped up Eggs Benedict for breakfast this morning. Used slightly toasted sourdough that I baked instead of a rusk or muffin.

Made shrimp on polenta this evening. Packed two small loaf pans and a snap on container for the leftovers. I may fry the polenta in the loaf pans for breakfast and other meals.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:36 am

Ropa Vieja. I'm loving how this came out: I used a tall cut of chuck so I get good shreds without having to resort to flank steak (which does not braise well), seasoning is paprika-oregano-cumin-black pepper in 4:3:2:1 ratio, and, of course, I subbed fennel for onion. It really yearns for a hit of cayenne, moreso than most dishes that call for it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Sounds good, Jeff. I've never had or made Ropa Vieja but I'm aware of the dish and always wanted to. Love those flavors. Did you serve it on rice?
PreviousNext