Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Jenise wrote:Another blast from the past, a "red, white and blue vinaigrette" ...

Sounds great, and I've never heard of it before.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:38 am

Jeff, it's wonderful. So good in fact that I'm surprised it hasn't caught on. Try it!

We had a great dinner last night. Started with a salad, as usual, this time frisee, butter lettuce, fresh chives, sliced almonds and shaved raw chiogga beets and the above vinaigrette. Our second course was pork--a single thick loin chop grilled, sliced and divided on two plates along with roasted red Jerusalem artichokes, and all were splashed with a sauce made of maple syrup, vinegar, roasted hazelnut oil, oregano and salt for a perfect California pinot noir match. The maple pulled the sweetness, the oregano pulled that herb flavor that comes with Sonoma coast fruit and the vinegar highlighted the acidity.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 am

For dinner last night, I soaked chicken thigh/drumstick quarters in the juice from a jalapeno escabeche then pan fried them to a crispy crust and served them on a Mexican dirty rice. We had a starter salad of tomatoes, bell peppers and frisee tossed with a cumin-garlic vinaigrette.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Last night I made Chinese beef and peppers with black bean and chili sauce. Thin-sliced flank steak marinated with soy sauce and cornstarch, red and green bell peppers, fresh ginger, garlic, and a heaping tablespoon of Lan Chi black bean sauce with chili.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

Today, oven roasted chicken wings that have marinated overnight in Louisiana hotsauce while watching the Masters, with cabbage and red onion salad. Not sure what else. Probably don't NEED anything else.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:34 am

Mary just made oatmeal cookies with raisins AND chocolate chips. Aaaaahhhhh ...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Paella tonight: chicken, shrimp, and chorizo. If I'm really organized, I'll also bake and fill some little phyllo cups with Cointreau-scented dark chocolate for dessert.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:08 am

So what else for Easter dinner, rabbit stew!
A jointed rabbit cooked in the pressure cooker with stock, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, bay and olives. Served with boiled spuds and shredded sprouts sautéed with bacon and garlic. Pretty good.

Chocolate to follow

Happy Easter
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 am

Sounds great, Barb. I'm having some of my heathen friends over for bocce and an easy BBQ dinner. Ribs, potato salad, marinated shrimp and a cucumber salad--had the idea on the fly coming back from a camping trip yesterday when I ran into friends at Trader Joe's. So between TJ's and Costco, where I headed next, whatever I could find there is what I'm doing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Pork verde on experimental pistachio waffles.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Pork verde on experimental pistachio waffles.

Ooh. Are they... atomic?! :!:

Or maybe... post-trans-ultra-synergistic? :?:

--

You know, I've read that pistachios occasionally can spontaneously combust. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 01, 2017 6:32 pm

asparagus-salad.jpg

It's asparagus season, yay! Last night I took a bunch of fresh green spears, trimmed the tough ends and cut them into 2-inch lengths, and separated the tips from the rest. Simmered them in salted water until they were crisp-tender - about 4-5 minutes for the stalks, putting the spears in a couple of minutes later so they cooked less, then drained and poured them into a big bowl full of ice to stop cooking and keep them green. I made a tangy vinaigrette with three parts olive oil, one part lemon juice, and S&P, and whisked in a couple of tablespoons of Dijon, adding a little at a time and whisking until it emulsified. Toss the chilled asparagus in the dressing, add thin-shaved slices of Parmigiano, and it's good to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 pm

Sounds very yum, Robin.

I've been making vegetable ragu lately: a cup or so of carrot, celery, onion (or fennel), slow cooked in a little EVOO and herbs for a half-hour or so, then add a couple ladles of tomato sauce and simmer as long as you can stand to wait for it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 7:04 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:simmer as long as you can stand to wait for it.

Five minutes? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 06, 2017 1:22 pm

The job thing has been more time consuming than usual lately, so I've had little opportunity to cook. One thing we did last week worked out better than I thought it would, though. I had some particularly good flour tortillas in the fridge along with some paper thin slices of housemade spicy coppa from the market around the corner and some sliced provolone, so I made quesadillas. They were wonderful.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Workaday cooking here, too. I recently made a panful of gratin, riffing on Robin's recipe here. I fricasseed some chicken and finished it cacciatore style. I used my cast-iron pan to seriously sizzle a NY strip steak, sliced and spread over a farro salad.

I'm waiting on an evening for another pair of paella, and then break out the charcoal!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sun May 07, 2017 4:46 am

Needed to do lunch for some visiting Kiwis on fairly short notice for me.
(<24hrs and we were on our way home from a brief holiday when the call came, brain fade).
Okay, so went for simple. Homemade tagliatelle carbonara with sides of a green salad and roasted truss tomato clusters. Followed by a tarte tatin made with apples from our tree, and local farm cream.
Local beer and wines. Stuff I can do happily, mostly mise and quick to finish and plate so I was able to spend as much time as possible with our guests. Had a lovely time.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Needed to do lunch for some visiting Kiwis on fairly short notice for me.
(<24hrs and we were on our way home from a brief holiday when the call came, brain fade).
Okay, so went for simple. Homemade tagliatelle carbonara with sides of a green salad and roasted truss tomato clusters. Followed by a tarte tatin made with apples from our tree, and local farm cream.
Local beer and wines. Stuff I can do happily, mostly mise and quick to finish and plate so I was able to spend as much time as possible with our guests. Had a lovely time.

Sounds wonderful. I really like carbonara and I really like tarte tatin.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am

berbere-beans.jpg

My favorite way to improve frozen lima beans, a winter standby, is to braise them covered at low heat with plenty of aromatics and a relatively small amount of liquid until the limas are tender and plump and infused with flavor. This batch I braised with onions, garlic, tomato, black and red papper and a little Ethiopian berbere spice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am

A couple of recent dinners that were good but not photogenic ... A bunch of flavorful brown mushrooms with tomatoes and a ton of garlic as a pasta sauce ... and an African-style stew of lacinato kale with tomatoes, onions, peanut butter, and berbere seasoning. Both yummy, but the kind of brownish mass that doesn't look as appetizing as it tastes. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 pm

We had bounced back from the unseasonable heat to unseasonably chilliness a few nights ago, so I tried my hand at a skillet chicken pot pie. (I would have preferred individual pies but we didn't have any ramikins of the right size.) The recipe I used as a template called for a filling of butternut squash and kale, which was not at all what I was looking for. I left those out and used a mix of mushrooms, peas, fresh garlic, and leeks along with the chicken, and I used puff pastry as the topper. The filling came out exactly as I wanted, but I wouldn't use puff pastry again. I think I'd much prefer a regular pie crust. Overall, it was pretty good, though. We served it with a green salad (yes, a rare lettuce salad! :D ) For dessert, my wife made a lemon raspberry pudding-cake thing and I made ginger ice cream to go with.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri May 12, 2017 4:58 am

So I was watching Greek Week on 'The Chefs Line' and they were variously re/ de/ constructing moussaka and so did I :roll: :lol:
I beat up some lamb steaks, softened up some longitudinal slices of eggplant and rolled them up together with some haloumi in the middle. Browned and then simmered in a garlicky tomato sauce.
Kinda weird that everything was in the fridge to do it.
Tasty.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Ooh, Barb, you are scaring me. I can't remember the last time -- if ever -- there was halloumi in my fridge.

I kinda like the idea of moussaka as a roll-up, though. Kinda like Italian braciole from a little further south and east.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 13, 2017 1:35 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Needed to do lunch for some visiting Kiwis on fairly short notice for me.

Brilliant meal: when simple is best. (And classy).
PreviousNext