Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:18 am

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:You have the oddest deprivations.

Made me laugh out loud. I do understand why you say that, but on the other hand I wasn't a deprived child unless never ever going to McDonalds even once is deprivation. My great interest in food has a lot to do with the seeds my parents planted; we were exposed to more out-there kind of ethnic stuff, at least by totally-white hometown-of-Richard-Nixon standards, than any other kids in the neighborhood. But bacon never appeared outside of breakfast for whatever reason, and my fear of condiments pushed meat-based sandwiches to the outer limits.

Oh, it's definitely a subjective thing as everybody's childhood is different... even my brother and I can find differences.

The word "deprivations" has an association for me. One evening, with friends, one of them suggested we play Deprivation. (It may be that we were unknowingly participating in her therapy but who knows.) Here's how you play: Everybody gets a pile of matchsticks or pennies or M&Ms or whatever. You take turns around the circle, each person finishing the sentence, "I have never...." For example, "I have never been to Montana" or "I have never owned a pair of sandals" and so on. All the people who have give the speaker a penny. The person who has the most pennies at the end is The Most Deprived. :mrgreen:

It's an interesting exercise in imagination, if nothing else, but it also flips around one's usual focus (from "What am I doing next?" to "What haven't I done at all?").
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:54 am

Yesterday, cooking the veal and beef shanks together was a complete success. They finished at the same time, both came out very moist and tender. I did a light coating of flour on all the shanks, then browned. Added the rest of the ingredients, then let marinate most of the day. Started cooking at a low simmer. I made the Tomato Paella again and had a sheet pan of baby summer squashes, all colors of bell peppers, garlic, and lemon wedges, roasted in the oven. It was a great dinner and leftovers tonight.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/940 ... n-and-sage
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:07 pm

Jeff, haven't heard of that game, at least by name, but on a TV show just last week did happen to see a few couples killing time on a boat starting sentences with 'Never have I ever...' -- now I realize what they were doing.

Karen, sounds great. Beef shanks are virtually unheard of in our markets here, but I believe I can get them at one of the Mexican markets that has a meat counter.

I'm in the middle of a cooking project. My next door neighbor is having surgery this week involving her stomach and esophagus. She'll be unable to eat anything but pureed for for 3-6 weeks. She's not much of a cook.

So yesterday I started making food for her that I'm packaging in labeled 16 ounce containers. My thought was to make large portions for Bob and I and turn the leftovers into food for Kathleen. She'll need a variety of flavor sensations since texturally they'll all be the same, and I'm being careful to pad them with vegetables to provide nutritional balance as well as reduce the carb impact. So far I've made crab bisque, spaghetti and meatballs, and chicken cacciatore. I did also make a smoked pork enchilada pie version but the tortilla element was powdery--even my mighty VitaMix couldn't break it down into something velveteen enough so I tossed that one out. More to come this week.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:33 pm

That is truly a grand and unselfish gesture Jenise. I so admire you for doing that for your friend. Lots of work involved there. Is there a place in town that makes healthy, tasty smoothies? Maybe a gift card for her would be another option for some meals from there. We have a nice one near us and their smoothies are very good. Occasionally, I get one for breakfast on my way into town for an appointment. I must say, they are very filling, and usually last me well into the day.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:27 pm

Her husband can get her the smoothies, if that's something she likes. I don't do them so wouldn't even try. I know she's already stocked up on jello. My mission is to just give her an alternative to pureed Campbells. :) Today I'm going to try out cabbage+sauerkraut+a hot dog, because I have half a sour cabbage on hand. Also, vichysoisse, and one of my own signature dishes: cream of french onion soup with espresso. Need to come up with something Chinese and gingery too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:03 pm

You are a great friend, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:00 pm

Poorman's jambalaya tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am

My very old family recipe is going to be Chili tonight. Hamburger, onions, lots of garlic, celery, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and lots of chili seasoning. Does anyone remember Grandma's Spanish Seasoning? It was the best and no one has ever come out with a better flavor than this one. It disappeared off grocery store shelves years ago, and there was a huge uproar from those of us who loved it. It took me years to find it again Finally, someone posted online that Williams Chili Seasoning took over the company. They are out of Lenexa KS. It is as close to Grandma's as I have found. Ina Garten's cornbread with jalepéno is always in my freezer for fall and winter meals and will go with our chili tonight. A side salad with sliced oranges, on lettuce leaves from the garden, oranges sprinkled with chili seasoning, juice from the sliced oranges drizzled over the lettuce.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:02 am

Love the combination of the oranges with the chili, Karen. A great fall dinner.

I concluded my soup-for-the-neighbor project yesterday and delivered eight quarts to her. That will get her thru the first week, anyway. So last night's dinner was the leftover spaghetti and meatballs from last week. Including what I took out to make two cartons of soup for the neighbors, that's six meals so far out of 1 lb of pasta and 2 lbs of meatballs, and there's still more leftover. It's bottomless!

Tonight I'm making pot roast for company, a couple who escaped down from Canada. Will do some a very modern plating with very architectural vegetables. Will make enough to send two cartons of a pureed beef soup next door tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Jenise, you should write a book on your recipes and findings for this project. I bet it would be a best seller for those who need this type of food. I actually did the same thing for our babies. First one ate baby food from the store, but I got wise after tasting some of that stuff, Ick. Someone came out with a little hand blender you can use right at the table. I would grind up small bites for baby from the food on my plate. I would leave out much of the seasonings, salt, sugar, spices for baby. I think it helped make our kids better eaters than some of the kids today. We were all at the table and baby got to watch food being processed especially for him or her. And it was fun, because the bigger kid would ask to help do it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:37 pm

Karen, I appreciate what you're saying but yet--really, who would buy it. My neighbor who is a full functioning adult and who is the beneficiary of my efforts wouldn't do any of this for herself. And most people wouldn't. Today I'm taking the leftover gravy from last night's pot roast and turning that into a puree of beef bourgogne with mushrooms and rosemary for her.

And for dinner tonight bob and I are having poached steelhead rubbed with fresh ginger on a leek mousse. I'm long on leeks and lucked into a small steelhead filet yesterday, just 1 lb. So hard to find them in that two-person size.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Yesterday I made a pot of Royal Corona Beans, cooked in onions, garlic, and chicken stock. Mexican Oregano was added at the end along with a nice bunch of kale. This will go with whatever comes along for the week and will have a drizzle of pineapple vinegar or a new tomato vinegar I have been playing with.
Tonight's dinner is an organic roasted chicken stuffed with lemons, garlic, thyme, and sage. It is being brushed with melted butter, lemon juice, garlic powder, and a little smoked paprika, which seems to brown up nicely. It will be surrounded by sourdough baguette slices, cut at an angle. Some under the chicken and rest surrounding the chicken. A Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with go with this for a nice fall meal. Salad has roasted butternut squash, tossed in olive oil and brown sugar then roasted until browned on the edges, pecans go in the last 10 minutes to roast. This is mixed with an array of green and red lettuce leaves, dried cranberries, goat or feta cheese, and green onions tossed with a Maple Mustard Vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:06 pm

I've got Osso Buco cooking right now. It's one of my favorites but I'm trying to make it in the instant pot this time around. I'm hoping for good things.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:31 am

Maybe it’s spring, but I seem to have got a little bit of enthusiasm for cooking again
Had some nice green prawn tails in the freezer. The first half appeared as salt and pepper prawns served with a Mediterranean salad
The next night used the rest to make hot and sour prawns with noodles.
Both dishes were pretty and tasty.
Tonight I’ve gone mad and cooking roast pork. For one. Seriously? Ah well, it’s a small boned piece it will be good. And doing roast spuds, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts. There will be grilled apple, gravy and hot mustard. About half an hour to go!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:29 am

Hi Barb, that is great that you cook so beautifully for one. Nothing wrong with that, and exactly what I would do. There are two of us here but sometimes it is hard to find a good cut of meat that is smaller. So, I cook with what I can get, and since we both love leftovers, it is OK. Besides, it is fun to cook, right?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 pm

I'll be making a batch of ratatouille tomorrow.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:36 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hi Barb, that is great that you cook so beautifully for one. Nothing wrong with that, and exactly what I would do. There are two of us here but sometimes it is hard to find a good cut of meat that is smaller. So, I cook with what I can get, and since we both love leftovers, it is OK. Besides, it is fun to cook, right?

Yep cooking can be heaps of fun, but better when there is someone to share it with.
Sometimes the mood is right to be a bit creative. I’m not mad on leftovers but the pork was great and I can do something with the remains, leftover gravy will help it along and a side of bubble’n’squeak.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Putting the garden away......roasting green tomatoes with onion and garlic to freeze portions for various sauces, chili. It really pains me to put the green tomatoes in the compost bin and roasted approximates tomatillo if a splash of lime or lemon added at the time of use. Blanching lancinato kale for Portuguese soup or greens torta. Making pear sauce with ginger. Harvested all apples except the Winesaps but can't face working on the bushels just yet. My back is killing me from standing all day. The Roman beans are still producing so I can wait before taking the vines down.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 am

Golly Christina you’ve been busy. What a productive garden you have. Fabulous.
I’m interested in your treatment af green tomatoes, will look into the possibilities. I generally make green tomato pickle (I can’t bear them going in the compost either)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 am

Christina, you have been busy. Your garden sounds very productive.
Very interested in your treatment of green tomatoes, I will look further into that.
I usually make green tomato pickles or chutney as I don’t want to compost those hard earned fruit.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:09 am

Yesterday I made a big pot of Minestrone soup, a load of veggies, pasta, and instead of spinach I added Tat Soi leaves. A greatt find at Farmer's Market washed and bagged. Topped with Parmesan Reggiano at serving and it was delicious. Leftovers tonight.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:13 am

Coincidence. Two days ago I made a recipe saved long ago from Laurie Colwin's column in Gourmet. Damp Gingerbread. I chose it because of the cool, rainy fall weather we are now having and thoughts of the delishness of the cake. I reflected fondly of what pleasure reading her columns provided and the sadness with her passing and the demise of Gourmet's original style. This week's New Yorker has a review of a collection of Laurie Colwin's essays. I can't wait to read the collection
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hi Barb, that is great that you cook so beautifully for one. Nothing wrong with that, and exactly what I would do. There are two of us here but sometimes it is hard to find a good cut of meat that is smaller. So, I cook with what I can get, and since we both love leftovers, it is OK. Besides, it is fun to cook, right?

The hardest part of cooking for one, and the most admirable thing about what Barb does, is finding the enthusiasm to cook for yourself after losing your life partner as she did during the years you were away--I'm thinking you may not know her story. She's a better woman than I--I'm sure I'd live on creamed frozen peas for the first five years and maybe add baked potatoes to my repertoire for the next five.

Barb, you rock!

Dans: like Barb, you're cooking for one when it's really the last thing you'd want to do. An instant pot could be a great tool under those circumstances--making a complex dish but just a serving for one.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Barb, I treat the green tomatoes as I would roast tomatillos. Wash, quarter if large then place under the broiler to get a good char and soften. Same with onions and garlic. Mix together and cool then package for freezing. Really handy for the cooked salsas I use in Mexican cooking or filling out chili. A splash of lemon or lime more approximates the tomatillo sour. Makes me feel virtuous not wasting them or if short on time to make a pickle although I love the crunch of an unprocessed green tomato pickle.
Mamma Mia !
PreviousNext