Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:47 pm

Tonight, stuffed sole.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:31 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Tonight, stuffed sole.

Rubber, plastic, or leather?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Tonight, stuffed sole.

Rubber, plastic, or leather?

Grey.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:12 pm

And, late last night, in advance of the frigid weather today, I made a pot of Mexican hot chocolate. I kept the amount of red pepper quite low because Pumpkin is not a fan of spicy but there's enough cinnamon, clove, star anise, and nutmeg to keep it interesting. I did add a bit of sugar, which is not traditional (but I'm not Mexican so no harm, no foul). Will serve it with a bit of orange oil or Cointreau. The real question is whether to thin it a bit with more milk so it will physically act like a cup of cocoa or keep it super thick like it is now.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 pm

Your hot chocolate sounds great. I occasionally make it using either Ibarra or Abuelita Mexican-brand tablets made from cacao beans with sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Only rarely do I make from scratch.

The next time I'm in a Mexican market here, I'll look for some different brands.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:35 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Grey.

Ok, Irish derivation.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:37 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Your hot chocolate sounds great. I occasionally make it using either Ibarra or Abuelita Mexican-brand tablets made from cacao beans with sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Only rarely do I make from scratch.

The next time I'm in a Mexican market here, I'll look for some different brands.

I considered using a tablet but remembered that they are always too gritty for my tastes.

Vanilla!

We served it thick and with Cointreau. Definitely making that again!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am

I made scallops last night with a pesto/garlic/tomato sauce on linguine. Delish, but I may have to give up scallops--I just can't STAND sand. One tiny little piece of grit and I'm put off. It seems that no matter how well I wash them, this persists.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:20 pm

First below-zero (Fahrenheit) overnight temperatures of the season here in NH. I'm countering with poorman's jambalaya.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:02 pm

Used my Highbush Cranberry liqueur ( smashed berries vodka, sugar, orange rind and tiny bit of cinnamon stick macerated together for 6 weeks then decanted ) to rehydrate some dried fuyu persimmon found by a friend at a large Asian grocery in Madison. They were quite chewy and softened nicely and the mix had an intense and surprising aroma of black walnut. I used them on a salad of mixed bitter greens with avocado, roquefort, radish, and toasted black walnuts. Dressed it with a bit of avocado oil and a vinaigrette made with a little more of the cranberry liqueur. Very good use of the dried persimmon and liqueur. Love to riff on salads that we always serve after the main. So many interesting ways to lighten the meal and transition to a cheese or fruit dessert.
Back home now and have a lot more leeway for meal ideas.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Christina, just got off the phone with my brother where we reminisced about the first time, as kiddie first-timers at a Spanish restaurant, we had salad after the main course. At home we had salad every day (as we both do now) but had never even heard of it as a last course. Looking back on our childhood horror, we laughed. I still usually serve it first, but not always. Your combination sounds awesome.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Friends called and wanted to drop something off. I agreed, then invited them to dinner. Am NOT going to the store, so scavenging on what's in the fridge and freezer I realized I had the right stuff to try a recipe I copied from Food & Wine a few months ago for "Garlic Butter Sauce Steak Bites"--or something close to that. Cubes of steak are pan-seared then finished with garlic, butter, vermouth and worcestershire sauce. That combo will be fantastic, and two chuck eye steaks will feed four of us well. I'm going to serve that on pan fried potatoes and onions (not done until some of the onions start to blacken), after a simple green salad with peas and tarragon and a starter of bite-sized pieces of grilled blue cheese and tomato sandwiches.

Btw, the blue cheese? It's Castello brand, a generous pkg of two dozen slices of blue cheese (Danish in flavor), originally packaged for restaurants, that showed up at Grocery Outlet for like $5. Couldn't resist, and I've had a lot of fun with it. Will be a perfect start for a steak dinner.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 pm

So, that prompts a question: A slice of blue would be an easy thing to flop onto a steak. Do you like blue cheese melted on steak? Some people think it's great. I've had it occasionally but it usually don't ring ma bell. How about you?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:14 pm

I like the flavor of blue cheese with steak--with reservations. I wouldn't like a grainy blue that doesn't melt well, or even the cheese just sitting on the meat. I'd rather have butter. But a blue cheese sauce involving cream, brandy and a creamy blue cheese (which this Castello is, would work well)--yes, love that, and when I make it I use Cambezola.

Btw, the blue cheese-tomato grilled sandwiches last night? SO GOOD!!!!! My friends even suggested I just make more sandwiches and forget whatever main course I had planned.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm

After Ajika, I am loving Calabrian peppers. Never realized it but my maternal grandmother's pizza probably had some in the sauce. The flavor is distinct. Made tuna stuffed sweet peppers today and added some of the Calabrian hots into the mix. Also found Pomelos at Costco so the salad is more of the rehydrated fuyu persimmon with Pomelo sections, frizzy red and green greens, toasted pecans dressed with a vinaigrette made with the rehydrating liqueur. Now contemplating what to do with the Pomelo skin. It smells heavenly and I hate to discard it.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:47 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Now contemplating what to do with the Pomelo skin. It smells heavenly and I hate to discard it.

I just simmered a blood orange rind in a batch of hot chocolate; I suppose pomelo, being a citrus, would work in that way, too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm

Agreed about Calabrian peppers having a distinct flavor, Christina. They're wonderful. I'm dying to top a pizza with them.

Made a cheeseburger meat loaf last night. Half beef, half turkey (I am fairly certain that I could convince anyone that this blend was veal instead), sharp cheddar, chopped onion, a fresh bread crumb panade, salt and pepper--that's all. Love the combination.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:59 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:And, late last night, in advance of the frigid weather today, I made a pot of Mexican hot chocolate. I kept the amount of red pepper quite low because Pumpkin is not a fan of spicy but there's enough cinnamon, clove, star anise, and nutmeg to keep it interesting. I did add a bit of sugar, which is not traditional (but I'm not Mexican so no harm, no foul). Will serve it with a bit of orange oil or Cointreau. The real question is whether to thin it a bit with more milk so it will physically act like a cup of cocoa or keep it super thick like it is now.

Great minds think alike, but I decided to make a warm Mexican beverage because the grocery near me started carrying rich, dark pilloncillo, which is the traditional form of unrefined sugar.

IMG_2091.jpg

The beverage is champurrado, thickened with finely ground masa harina (nixtmalized corn flour). Certainly distinctive, I'm not sure the corn added much but it certainly made a hearty beverage!

https://enrilemoine.com/en/2016/01/25/c ... chocolate/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:12 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Now contemplating what to do with the Pomelo skin. It smells heavenly and I hate to discard it.

I peel the citrus zest* with a sharp vegetable peeler, let it completely dry,, store it in a jar, and use it in such things as bread or many other dishes. I bought some oranges today. I'll peel each one before I cut it.

*Much easier to peel and avoid the pith when the fruit is whole.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:20 pm

wnissen wrote:The beverage is champurrado, thickened with finely ground masa harina (nixtmalized corn flour). Certainly distinctive, I'm not sure the corn added much but it certainly made a hearty beverage!

That looks excellent.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:21 am

Thanks Larry. That's exactly how I harvest the peel. A vegetable peeler works well on large, firm citrus. I had put the pomelo peel in the fridge while waiting for ideas but snatched it right out to dry.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:16 am

I have a Titan peeler that is crazy sharp. I can peel a continuous strip of zest from oranges and other citrus fruits without any pith.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:41 am

Jenise wrote:I made scallops last night with a pesto/garlic/tomato sauce on linguine. Delish, but I may have to give up scallops--I just can't STAND sand. One tiny little piece of grit and I'm put off. It seems that no matter how well I wash them, this persists.

Jenise, I buy dry packed scallops at our local meat/seafood place all the time. They are fresh, all I do is remove the muscle tissue on the side and cook. I never have gotten any sand. Are you getting them live?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:06 pm

Dried peel from tangerines or mandarin oranges is a common Chinese ingredient. I make sure I'm careful to remove the peel in large chunks. I then dry it in the sunshine or a warm, dry spot. The dried peel keeps almost forever in a tightly closed glass jar.

If the fruit isn't organic, it's a good idea to wash it thoroughly and dry it well before harvesting the peel. This is to remove any pesticide residue. Conventional citrus is grown and harvested assuming that the peel won't be eaten.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext