Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:31 pm

Peter, those greens are what we call 'collards' in the U.S. and "Beans and Greens" is a popular dish. What you made sounds good, though I would have used all the sausage. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:07 pm

Trying this one tonight along with some simple chicken breasts have pounded down and are sitting now with a bit of salt, pepper fresh thyme and EVOO… will pan sauté them and then make a pan sauce with some white deglaze and a touch of butter….. also made some Japanese rice with cilantro and scallions just in case

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/62/02/6D9AB8C8-9479-4E4F-9923-C0FF827EFF45/IMG_4015.HEIC

I’ve been cooking a lot lately…. Not that happy at work so cooking instead!
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:19 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:59 am

Cooking's great therapy, John. Interesting...a clafoutis. I'm a big fan of Patricia Wells, btw. Have several of her books: bistro-style cooking is definitely my thing. And nowadays I occasionally exchange thoughts with her on Instagram!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:00 pm

Tonight I'm cooking for company. The main dish will be the veal scaloppine with gorgonzola sauce John F posted here a few days ago. I'll serve it over paparadelle. The starter course will be chilled asparagus (whole spears) and tiny diced watermelon radishes marinated in a tarragon vinaigrette and topped with crisp broiled proscuitto. Artichoke crostini to start, and lemon curd cheesecake for dessert.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:19 pm

Do you peel asparagus? I recently watched a short vid by America's Test Kitchen which was recommending it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Yes and no. White, always. Green, yes when they're thick. Better texture, and very pretty too when cooked plus useful when absorbing a marinade. What I have today is only about 1/2" thick, which would become 1/4" if peeled so they'd look emaciated.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:37 am

Today I am making a Cipollini onion and fennel pot roast. Braised in fresh thyme, evoo, salt, pepper, carrots. fennel bulbs garlic, sherry wine, beef broth and bay leaves. A lemon, chive risotto with white wine, parm, lemon zest, and shallots as a side dish. Salad is a roasted beet salad, with walnuts, goat cheese with a honey Dijon vinaigrette. I could not find the packaged Love Roasted Beets the blogger said she prefers, and I could not find fresh beets. I never buy canned veggies, but I went to the aisle to look and found a
S&W product called Spiced Pickled Red Beets. They are small beets, sliced and marinated in red wine vinegar. They are not bad at all, and with all the great ingredients in this salad I think they will work, with the shallots, mixed red and green lettuces. I'm using pecans instead of walnuts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:51 pm

Karen, you pile more ingredients into a single meal than anyone I know and I love you for it. You hit every taste bud possible. :)

No plans yet for dinner. But we had barbecue brisket tacos for lunch, so it's likely I'll go with vegetables for dinner. Maybe roasted portabellos and zucchini.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:41 pm

Thanks Jenise, I love to cook and use ingredients. However, I really need to cut back and simplify...but when? I have tons of spices,
and herbs. friends who travel, bring me stuff, kids bring me stuff...not complaining. Still, a family of one here now, and my Havanese kid can't eat my food, I really only cook about twice a week. I eat salads for lunch, lots of fresh fruit for breakfast, with yogurt, or avocado toast, smoothies. I like to have fun in the kitchen.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:55 am

Tonight a simple but tasty pasta
Tri colour fusilli, EVOO, garlic and chilli flakes, tossed in some fresh diced tomato just to warm through.lots of parmigiana.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:32 pm

Barb, that's one of the best pasta dishes possible.

Last night I stayed true to my original plan re going vegetarian for dinner. Took me awhile to make up my mind what to prepare, though (I bought a lot on Friday and am well-stocked), so I chose zucchini and portobello mushrooms. I thought I'd grill the portobello and separately bake the zucchini--cut into spears, 4 per, and tossed with olive oil and herbs d'Provence. In the process of preparing same though, as often happens, I had a better idea: stuff the mushrooms and bake them on the same cookie sheet with the squash. So I did: rosemary, diced white onion and cheese went into the mushrooms, and into the oven they all went for 20 min at 400F--turned out perfect for both. To serve, on each plate I made a bed out of the spears and nestled the mushroom on top. It was not only pretty, when cut into the mushrooms leaked some juices into the plate which the zucchini happily absorbed. It was never meant to be 'a dish', just two items on the same plate, but I ended up with a lovely composed dish and marriage of flavors anyway. I'll definitely want them together again. And: no carbs!

Today: no plan yet.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:41 pm

Jenise

How was the veal?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:47 pm

This morning I had a confluence of ham, asparagus, and eggs, so I made Eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise.

One boo-boo: I plated both before I realized I hadn't included the ham. Duh! I gently lifted everything and slid in the ham. Anything similar ever happen to you?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:45 pm

John F wrote:Jenise

How was the veal?

Thanks

Fantastic. I make a sans-recipe blue cheese/beef broth/cream sauce for a very upscale filet mignon dinner so this wasn't unfamiliar territory, but using veal, making it saucier, and adding the tomato and basil
parts added wonderful new dimensions. I used gorgonzola dolce and served it over papparadelle.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Last night was Island-spiced chicken: legs and thighs spent an hour rubbed with brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, coriander, grains of paradise, s+p; then baked on top of pineapple spears in a hot oven; doused just at the end with a simple brown sugar-butter-rum-pineapple juice glaze. Served with our favorite mix of brown, red, and wild rice.

(Yes, if it were just me, I'd punch-up that spice mix with a chipotle in adobo and scallions.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:25 pm

Mmmm, that sounds good. Baked on the pineapple no less, interesting technique.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:26 pm

Meant to add, last night we had calamari steaks--panko crusted, fried, topped with a 4 oz broiled lobster tail, lemon butter, and strewn with tiny cherry tomatoes in EVOO and some fresh basil.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Mmmm, that sounds good. Baked on the pineapple no less, interesting technique.

That worked out very well: added flavor to the chicken and contributed to the pan sauce. Also, if your pineapple isn't quite the best, a trip through the oven will improve it. I borrowed the idea from a related recipe which I did not do, but which also added citrus into the seasoning and baked the chicken on a bed of orange slices.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Jenise wrote:
John F wrote:Jenise

How was the veal?

Thanks

Fantastic. I make a sans-recipe blue cheese/beef broth/cream sauce for a very upscale filet mignon dinner so this wasn't unfamiliar territory, but using veal, making it saucier, and adding the tomato and basil
parts added wonderful new dimensions. I used gorgonzola dolce and served it over papparadelle.

Interesting….. I stared at the dolce for along time and ended up not going with that… was worried it might be a little sweetness?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:03 pm

It's not sweet, 'dolce' is misleading here. It's just young/new/creamy, which are excellent attributes for melting. I was wanting to avoid the grainy blues like Cachel from Ireland, which has a wonderful flavor but it's grainy which is fine on a cracker but not in a sauce. In fact, for that reason I've used cambezola when I do the similar sauce for filet mignons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:44 pm

Tonight I'm taking the remains of last weeks beef/clove sauce for pasta and extending it, maybe with powdered ancho chiles, into something kind of chili-mac to bake for that hard, crunchy crust we've been enamored with of late. Of course, a green salad will be part of the meal.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:29 am

Jenise wrote:It's not sweet, 'dolce' is misleading here. It's just young/new/creamy, which are excellent attributes for melting...

Indeed. Gorgonzola dolce is my favorite blue cheese for cooking for exactly that reason. A shame my wife and son don't like it, so I have to take advantage of the meals cooked without them.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:03 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Last night was Island-spiced chicken: legs and thighs spent an hour rubbed with brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, coriander, grains of paradise, s+p; then baked on top of pineapple spears in a hot oven; doused just at the end with a simple brown sugar-butter-rum-pineapple juice glaze. Served with our favorite mix of brown, red, and wild rice.

(Yes, if it were just me, I'd punch-up that spice mix with a chipotle in adobo and scallions.)

Jeff, have you a link to the recipe or was this your own great idea. I am going to make this on Saturday and am wondering about spice measurements.
PreviousNext