Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Sat May 07, 2022 2:24 pm

Been away! 12 days of road trip in which we (four couples) cooked in rented homes and ate on the road getting to and from. We were Covid-cautious so mostly avoided restaurants. Some highlights:

On our third night in Sonoma it was Annabelle's and my turn to cook. The proteins by others had been beef and pork so we went with chicken and shrimp. We marinated two 5 pound chickens overnight and then halved them, oven-roasting three of the halves and freezing the fourth for later. We served the roast chicken with grilled shrimp marinated with calabrian chiles, a bibb lettuce salad drenched in a warm mushroom dressing, and some amazing seeded sourdough bread from a local (Sebastopol) bakery.

After Sonoma we and John and Annabelle left the group and headed upcoast to Fort Bragg, which is north of California's excellent cool-climate Anderson Valley wine region, where we had rented a gorgeous home on a bluff. Days were spent roaming about and dinners were back at our home paired with the conquests of our wine tasting endeavors and things we'd brought from home (like a magnum of '91 Georges LaTour, and a 2001 Dugat-Py from Burgundy).

The first night we thawed the marinated chicken half, cut it into six pieces and braised it with yukon golds, wine, leftover marinade and fennel which we browned the cut side of and placed atop the chicken and potatoes to steam. We garnished each portion with blanched fresh fava beans. EXCELLENT flavors, beautiful on the plate. Another night, inspired by a canister of Slap Yo Mama Cajun Seasoning that had been left behind by a previous renter, we made up our own Cajun Shrimp dish wherein we sauteed a lot of 'holy trinity' (green bell pepper, celery and onion) in a lot of butter then finished the shrimp in that, and had meanwhile boiled off the shells to make a tasty stock for cooking rice. The SYM seasoning was distributed lavishly. OUTSTANDING, the kind of dish that had us both scratching our heads going, "Why have we never thought of doing this before?"

Another outstanding dish was something we ordered in a restaurant in a tiny town in Humboldt county on the edge of the Redwoods. Desiring a French dip sandwich to share, we chose a place called the Humboldt Bar and Grill where a version of that would usually be a slam-dunk. But lo and behold, once inside? There was 'futbol' on the TVs and the menu was Mexican. But it was empty, so we felt safe and stayed, and ordered something called Chipotle Steak Mexicana, the daily special. Had no idea what to expect. OMG. It was a typical Mexican combo plate, rice in the middle, the best refried beans ever to one side, and this mass of thick stir-fried steak pieces that had been simmered in a fantastic smoky chipotle-tomato sauce on the other. House-made flour tortillas were provided. We didn't leave a speck. Not even one kernel of rice. It was SOOOOOOOOOO good. I will, MUST, re-create this dish.

Another unique experience on this trip: our first-ever experience ordering pizza delivered to our hotel. Nothing notable about what we got, just that we did this. Never thought I'd see the day.

And now we're home. Dinner tonight: cowboy steak, using chuck eye steaks we found at a small market on the coast yesterday morning (I had a Playmate cooler in which to keep them along with two bags of frozen peas for extra cooling). I put all three packages they had in my cart and as we swung out of that department two guys in aprons (the meat dept guys) pointed at my cart and said, "She got the butchers cut! She knows!!!!" Indeed, so we had a real fun conversation about this precious cut and how we never brag about it to friends because we don't want any more competition getting to the few that surface locally.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun May 08, 2022 2:49 am

Jenise it sounds like you had a fabulous trip. It’s always interesting and fun to cook in a holiday rental,
Unknown battery and weird things others leave behind.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 08, 2022 10:46 am

Great story Jenise, and loved hearing about your Humboldt Co. experience. Gene and I both grew up in Eureka, and there are tons of local goodies to discover there from local meats, local dairies, breads, bakeries and more. We have a neighbor, a retired attorney, and he and his wife have a second home in Trinidad. Since I watch their Redding home about half the time, twice a year they bring me goodies made by locals, all food items. I miss not living on the coast. Your fava bean meal sounds amazing.
By the way, Humboldt Bar and Grill is in Garberville, Gene and I spent many hours there eating at Benbow Inn. It was fabulous, I think it is still there. There was also a small lake one could water ski on, if you were happy going round and round. Sweet little town.
https://benbowinn.com/dining/
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun May 08, 2022 4:57 pm

Last night I made Sichuan chao larou using the Chinese-style bacon I found in the local Thai grocery. This is the same as twice-cooked pork except it used bacon instead of fresh pork belly, which makes the initial braise unnecessary. The Chinese bacon slices are very thick (1/4"). The cure is soy sauce-based and the bacon is not smoked. The dish was tasty, but a bit too sweet for my palate, and I missed the smoky flavor. Traditional Sichuan bacon is heavily smoked. So not really the right meat for this dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 09, 2022 1:27 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Jenise it sounds like you had a fabulous trip. It’s always interesting and fun to cook in a holiday rental,
Unknown battery and weird things others leave behind.

It definitely makes cooking fun: you don't want to invest in a lot of ingredients or have lots of leftovers, but you don't want to compromise your idea of good food. On this trip I had my sidekick Annabelle in the kitchen--she loves to cook and we blend perfectly. She defers to my greater experience in ideas beyond Asian (she's Chinese) and seamlessly takes on tasks once she understands the overall strategy. I packed a kitchen box that included my knife roll, salt and pepper grinders, condiment-level olive oil, two homemade vinegars, two little baggies of herbs d'Provence and tarragon, and a jar of Calabrian chiles. Had nothing in particular in mind, just wanted to have a few ways of making food less plain. Used it all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 09, 2022 1:33 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Great story Jenise, and loved hearing about your Humboldt Co. experience. Gene and I both grew up in Eureka, and there are tons of local goodies to discover there from local meats, local dairies, breads, bakeries and more. We have a neighbor, a retired attorney, and he and his wife have a second home in Trinidad. Since I watch their Redding home about half the time, twice a year they bring me goodies made by locals, all food items. I miss not living on the coast. Your fava bean meal sounds amazing.
By the way, Humboldt Bar and Grill is in Garberville, Gene and I spent many hours there eating at Benbow Inn. It was fabulous, I think it is still there. There was also a small lake one could water ski on, if you were happy going round and round. Sweet little town.
https://benbowinn.com/dining/

Yes, Garberville! I didn't know about the Benbow Inn--I looked at your link and wow, how lovely it is. Didn't realize you were from Eureka. Beautiful town, so many fascinating Victorians and other turn of the century architecture downtown. And it's really it's own little world--kind of remote and isolated. It's what I like about Bellingham where I am now, and previously loved about Anchorage, Alaska. You're your own closest big city, so you have to provide everything needed for a self-sustaining cultured civilization. I don't actually know that Eureka has its own symphony orchestra--but I'll bet it does. Provides a strong sense of community.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 09, 2022 11:57 pm

Saturday cooking this week: A big pan of cheesy, saucy baked penne (no, it's not rocket science but it's good and reheats well), and a new one for me... cucumber ice cream.

This is Philadelphia style, so just sweetened cream for the base. The cucumber was peeled and seeded, simmered a while with sugar, combined with lemon juice and ginger brandy, then strained into the cream. Green food coloring, of course! Pumpkin calls it "vegetal" but I like it: the flavor is light and fresh, tangy from the lemon juice, and there is just a very slight aroma of the brandy. This would make a good summer dessert or a first dessert course at a grander meal.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am

Jenise, yes...gene and I both raised in Eureka, lived there until we got married and moved to Redding, as Gene had built a 52 unit apartment near Shasta College. We rented to families, and college kids. Quickly learned we wanted families and less students. it was an adventure, but a short time later, we hired a manager and bought our first home, well away from the apts. Gene wanted to live in a warmer climate and have access to all the lakes we have here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am

52's an ambitious undertaking for a starter! Great wealth-builder but I can easily imagine the headaches.

Yesterday I made vegetarian tacos for dinner. Wasn't exactly thought thru deeply in advance, and not something I've made before. I had zucchini and fresh corn tortillas, and I didn't have cheddar but did have sliced provolone. I dessicated then sliced and wok-seared the zucchini, and made a wet chili rice to mix with the zucchini for a cohesive filling that would stay put and not tumble out. I scooped that into cast-iron charred tortillas lined with a round slice of provolone, then topped each taco with a pico de gallo and crispy fried jalapenos from a can I recently found at Trader Joe's (like deep-fried onions, but jalapeno peppers). Damn, were these great!!!! None of my interminable salads needed here, just fresh strawberries for dessert.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed May 11, 2022 10:55 am

Sounds good Jenise, I can't imagine vegetarian tacos, but if they tasted good and were satisfying that is what counts. I learned how to make tacos when my family lived in Casa de Oro for a short time. Lots of Mexican families and my mom was friends with a great lady who taught her a few things. That taco recipe has stuck with me for decades. Still love it. Trouble is, lately I am not liking the hamburger I am getting. It is not as beefy tasting, rather grainy, not sure what has happened or what is being done, but I have bought several and not happy with them. Any suggestions?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed May 11, 2022 1:02 pm

Grind your own beef at home? That is Julia Child's suggestion. And my grandmother's. She could never stand store-ground beef--too stale. Most of today's ground beef (and ground pork, too) is too lean and ends up being less flavorful as a result. As Julia observed, proper hamburger isn't diet food.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 11, 2022 1:09 pm

I make lots of different types of tacos. I've made vegetarian before using hominy as the filler. In this case I also considered cutting the zucc into spears, lavishing them with Gebhardt's chile powder and oven-roasting them. All by themselves would have been a great filling.

Have no solution for you re the ground beef issue. Most likely cows haven't changed so maybe it's a temporary glitch in your taste buds? I don't know how much you season your filling either (can't imagine you being a lightweight in that department), but have you ever tried ground turkey instead? All by itself ground turkey is tasteless but that makes it a great canvas for a taco if you season it well--mild and accomodating. I usually make it a bit wet and then add a heaping tablespoon of rice or polenta (both taste good, but polenta's faster) to make it more cohesive.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 11, 2022 1:12 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Last night I made Sichuan chao larou using the Chinese-style bacon I found in the local Thai grocery. This is the same as twice-cooked pork except it used bacon instead of fresh pork belly, which makes the initial braise unnecessary. The Chinese bacon slices are very thick (1/4"). The cure is soy sauce-based and the bacon is not smoked. The dish was tasty, but a bit too sweet for my palate, and I missed the smoky flavor. Traditional Sichuan bacon is heavily smoked. So not really the right meat for this dish.

-Paul W.

I'm going to be on the lookout for this next time I'm at an Asian grocer. I have never seen, and until you spoke of it heard of, Chinese bacon. I'll be sure to look for Sichuan. Of course, the problem is that on this type of product, I often can't read the names....
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed May 11, 2022 3:00 pm

Paul, I usually buy the 80-20 ratio, as I find the rest too lean for tacos, burgers. What I do not get is the burger is rather tough, breaks down into tiny beads that are coarse, almost like it is ground with bone, is what comes to my mind.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu May 12, 2022 4:24 am

Felt a bit inclined to cook, which I haven’t much lately,, and came home with a nice piece of brisket.
So, I browned it and then braised it low and slow with stock, garlic, tomato paste, chile,
It came out perfectly, shredded easily and was (is) really juicy. So lots of sandwiches, etc happening I’ll probably have to freeze some as 1.3kg is a lot of meat for one old lady. No point in trying to do a little bit of brisket t
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 12, 2022 11:38 am

Good for you, Barb. I must admit that brisket is a cut I have never formed an attachment to. I love it corned or when given the smoke/long-slow BBQ treatment, but it never occurs to me to do it on my own stove. I'll bet Karen's a fan.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 12, 2022 11:43 am

Jeff is a fan, too!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 12, 2022 11:55 am

Jenise--Good luck in your Chinese bacon hunt. The bacon I found has a soy sauce cure and is not smoked. Sichuan bacon is heavily smoked and has Sichuan peppercorns as part of the cure. Check the ingredients list.

Karen--80:20 is a decent ratio for hamburger. That curious grainy texture probably is because there's some bone in the mix. That is one of the volume meat packer's dirty little secrets.

Regarding brisket and barbecue, you really need to use packer-trim brisket, which outside of Texas almost always has to be special-ordered. Packer-trim brisket is the whole thing--two layers of meat with a layer of fat in the middle. That fat layer melts away, but it keeps the meat moist during the 12+ hour barbecuing process. The brisket found in supermarkets is flat-trim, which is made by separating the two layers of packer-trim brisket and trimming off the fat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 12, 2022 12:36 pm

Paul, so I was right about the bone. I spoke to a good friend yesterday about the hamburger we have been getting and she is experiencing the same thing and thought it was just her. She shops at different grocery stores than I do, so it is just not where I shop.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 13, 2022 9:43 am

I had gotten Betsy the Eric Kim Korean- American book. The recipe that had caught my ear on NPR and made me order was gochugaru
shrimp & seaweed grits. But I had made polenta (and eaten leftovers) so we put cornmeal on hold for week. We did make his curried chicken "tonkatsu" with slaw, definitely a do again. Well written recipes.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... s-eric-kim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 13, 2022 11:02 am

Dale thanks for posting that link. I have never considered using mayo (vs. egg) for a panko coating and look forward to trying that. Love the curry element.

I'm also intrigued by the recipe that intrigued you--the shrimp with seaweed grits.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 13, 2022 12:46 pm

Karen, perhaps another option would be to buy a piece of meat and have the butcher grind it for you. But you'd need a supermarket with a full-service meat counter and those can be hard to find. It sounds as though they are getting their hamburger pre-ground from the wholesaler. They might not have the facilities to grind their own.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 13, 2022 4:16 pm

Tonight: grilled veal chops 'Oscar'. Marinated with vermouth and fresh rosemary, topped with grilled 4 oz lobster tail and napped with a quickie bearnaise. Not sure what else will be in the meal.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 14, 2022 10:27 am

Nice Surf and Turf Jenise!

Tonight at my casa is grilled Halibut with butter and fresh lemon juice. The star of the show is Christopher Kimball's Spanish Rice with Vegetables and Saffron. A fully loaded dish with onion, garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne, Arborio Rice, plum tomatoes, cauliflower, s & p, chicken stock, saffron, and baby spinach. All done in one pan. I ordered his new cookbook, The World in a Skillet and am enjoying it very much. A side dish of green beans sautéed with butter and almond oil and finished off with Tarragon from the garden.
PreviousNext