Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:47 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote:Very cool, Jeff. I'm wanting to make it again myself.

Very successful. I used a smoky ham and Havarti cheese. Used an egg binder and panko on the outside, and roasted a little longer to get some color.

For serving ten, how much meat did you use? One turkey breast (albeit a small one) didn't go very far. Next time I want to use two turkey breasts and as well add layers of chicken thighs to get more ying-yang.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:55 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: Don't remember the lime in that dish, thought it had lemon juice and red wine vinegar? Maybe I tweaked it? I am a huge tweaker.

Unless baking, I find recipes to merely be suggestions. I always do what I think will work out best. I find a combination of lemon and lime more interesting than lemons alone and since I don't have a tree in my yard that influences selection I mix. I don't remember red wine vinegar, and if that's correct I wouldn't use it anyway. I love the intense lime-lemon thing. I know the original recipe was a broiler method, but I'll be barbecuing these (though I'll cook down the marinade to pour over the finished bird).

Here's the whole Italian-themed menu for tonight:

Starter:
Roasted brussels sprouts, crisp sourdough crumbs, proscuitto
Salami chips

Salad:
Braesola, arugula, all-day marinated mushrooms

Main:
Rao's chicken
Grilled zucchini with mint and pine nuts
Tomato/onion flatbread

Dessert:
Brownie and espresso ice cream sandwiches (confession: purchased frozen at Trader Joe's)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:51 pm

It all sounds great, and fun!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:31 am

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote:Very cool, Jeff. I'm wanting to make it again myself.

Very successful. I used a smoky ham and Havarti cheese. Used an egg binder and panko on the outside, and roasted a little longer to get some color.

For serving ten, how much meat did you use? One turkey breast (albeit a small one) didn't go very far. Next time I want to use two turkey breasts and as well add layers of chicken thighs to get more ying-yang.

I bought a frozen 9# bone-in breast. After thawing in the fridge for a few days, I took both breasts off and used the back/trimmings to make a stock that went into the sauce. The breasts marinated overnight. I decided not to butterfly each breast but simply pounded them to approx. 1/2" thick. Each got a sprinkle of fresh rosemary, s+p, 6 slices of ham, 1/2# Havarti, then rolled and tied. After a couple hours in the fridge, they could be handled easily for rolling in beaten egg and panko. Baked at 350*F for 45 minutes and then 425*F for another 15 (to add color). Firsts used 1.5 loaves, the rest went in seconds.

Caveats: I wasn't in my kitchen otherwise I would have seasoned the panko more, e.g., paprika, thyme. I like the crunchy panko but I may go back to putting a sear on the loaf before baking. The most interesting comment was that the turkey was so good that the ham and cheese weren't really needed!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:36 am

Tonight is pizza night, a Margherita with thin crust will have a few cherry tomatoes, and Bruno's Peppers added, plus frozen pizza spice from Penzey's. I picked up a beautiful head of a lime green lettuce from Farmer's Market last Saturday, so will make a simple salad using the leaves as the base. I have some beautiful roasted gold beets to lay on top, not sure what else but will use a fresh lemon vinaigrette and Feta Cheese.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:27 am

Chicken thighs, legs and wings, seasoned and cooked on a sheet ban with lemon juice, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika oregano, olive oil, surrounded by baby red, white and purple potatoes cut in half, placed cut side down to absorb all the good juices. I am grilling asparagus, and those beautiful small, colorful peppers that come in the bags. Those things are so good and easy. No skinning or seeding necessary. Cloves of garlic will be tucked around the meat and potatoes.
I actually ended up cooking the whole peppers in the sheet pan and they were delicious cooked in that lovely lemon juice mix. Potatoes loved the lemon bath and ended up nicely browned and yummy as did the chicken.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:01 pm

Thanks for the description, Jeff. I didn't panko mine but pinned the skin on top to brown. Which I ended up not liking because that particular turkey breast had been frozen so long that the skin tasted of that.

No plan for tonight yet. We lost Jailbait yesterday. No interest in cooking.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:03 am

Jenise wrote:We lost Jailbait yesterday. No interest in cooking.

Please accept my condolences on your loss, Jenise. Maybe she's in a place where all the mice are just a little slow....
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:24 pm

Sorry for the delay. Had a visitor for the days after the 4th. Driveway pasta turned out to be for 49, not 60. Threat of rain kept some away and fortunately everyone was nearly finished with the pasta course when there was a heavy downpour forcing everyone into the double - plus garage. This was fortuitous because it really contributed to the mingling.
It's been a yearly affair for 3 decades and there are good helpers who know the routine. 3 twenty quart stock pots, very large colanders and muscled men to lift and drain are a must. Switched years ago from "lines" pasta ( linguini, fettucini etc ) to "shapes" ( penne, rigatoni, farfalle etc ) because much easier to serve and eat. The pasta is partially sauced immediately after draining with very hot meatless sauce. With quantities this large you don't have to worry about it staying hot. Additional sauce ( meat or meatless ) kept hot on a burner is added when individual plates are served buffet style.
People are asked to bring either appetizer, salad or dessert. Wine, water and garlic bread are provided. Weather permitting there is a bocce tournament during the appetizer and dessert times.
I most enjoy the logistics of planning and organizing the event. People have upped their game with the appetizers, salads and desserts over the years and that has been interesting
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:20 am

Jenise wrote:No plan for tonight yet. We lost Jailbait yesterday. No interest in cooking.

I'm very sorry to hear, that Jenise. They're like family members, you know? It's always hard....
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:29 am

Thanks, Tom and Jeff. They ARE family members, especially perhaps to those of us who never had human children. And Jelly certainly thought she was my child--my ONLY child. I was her world, and she let me know that all the time--for 19 1/2 years. Hard to let go.

Thanks, Christina, for the description of the dinner. How many pounds of pasta did you go through, around 12? And how many pounds could you cook in one 20 qt pot?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:35 am

Jenise, sorry for the loss of your fur kid and they most certainly are family members. As independent as cats are if they are loved, they love you back, for sure.

Christina, it was interesting reading about switching from line pasta to shapes. I, too, have done that for the most part, except for a seafood pasta I adore, which uses thin spaghetti. I love the shapes because the sauce collects in the holes and some of the smaller ingredients collect in there, as well. Certainly is easier to eat. Very ambitious event, and sounds like a lot of fun, When I was working, and was the lead person for many of the public events our department did, I had a lot of volunteers, not only from our volunteer staff but from paid staff. From the first year, I took notes on what worked, or did not work. Each year, it got better, flowed more smoothly, and what was really great, I started turning over pieces of the job to our volunteers. They loved the note book and it soon became a coveted book, for the new helpers to use. I admire those who can pull off those huge events at home, for sure.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:45 pm

Jenise, in my haste to send a delayed reply I didn't see the news about Jailbait. I know your heart is heavy and I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:41 am

Karen and Christina, thanks. Tough days. But Karen--re cats being independent? Kind of a myth. I've had many, many cats and if they're indoor-only and perhaps the only dependents in the household? 'Independent' is not a word I'd ever think to use. Not my cats. The only thing about them I'd call independent is that they can use a litterbox whenever they please where dogs have to be walked. And you can fill up a food bowl and leave them overnight alone. Otherwise, most are as clingy and needy as most dogs--they're just more patient.

Dinner last night was Chicken Marsala from Trader Joe's. I've come down with something and managed to get in one shopping errand yesterday. Knowing I wouldn't be feeling like cooking for a few days and maybe not even eating much, I needed things for Bob to be able to prep for himself so I chose TJ's for their frozen foods. The Chicken Marsala was actually pretty good. In fact, as I told Bob, "This is like an adult version of the TV dinners I loved as a kid." He laughed and said, "So, about tomorrow: Salisbury steak?"
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:36 am

Hi Jenise, I, too, have had many cats, however ours were indoor, outdoor kitties. I never used a litter box, but they knew how to ask to go outside. Our cats stayed in the yard mostly, came in and out all day, and came in at night. Now days, with so many fires in our mountains, bob cats, coyote, mountain lions and even bear are seen inside city limits. looking for water and food. So many keep their cats indoors now.
As for dogs, they do not have to be walked to go potty. Ours have always been trained to ask to go outside. Too, now days many use what is called Pee Pads for their dogs to go on. Disgusting thing to do, as nothing like a litter box, they smell horrible. Yes, I have had cats who were loving, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of how one can train a dog with commands, body language, and hand signals. I seem to recall our cats responded to their names when called but not to commands other than "No" Usually, we had cats and dogs together and I gave most of my training time to the dogs, since I did obedience training with them. The cats just seemed to do their own things, while the dogs followed us around. My current fur kid, a Havanese dog, is with me all day. Moves from room to room with me, and is forever sitting next to me. Love them all! Plus, she is a great watchdog!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:56 pm

That's what I thought re you and dogs/cats which is why I mentioned the importance of indoors/outdoors. If you're their only agenda, the relationship changes in quality quite a bit. Cats, when they're exclusive, can be very intuitive and responsive. Ugh, those puppy pads. I have a friend who uses them. Actually trained one of our cats to use those for awhile when they decided not to use a litter box for awhile.

Anyway, back to food: pot of chicken's on the stove!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:26 pm

Jenise wrote:The Chicken Marsala was actually pretty good. In fact, as I told Bob, "This is like an adult version of the TV dinners I loved as a kid." He laughed and said, "So, about tomorrow: Salisbury steak?"

I'm totally with Bob on this one. Onion gravy over ground beef (or, at least, they said it was beef... it was definitely ground). :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:25 am

Strangely, as a kid I would not eat ground beef, hamburgers, well done beef or gravy. And yet the salisbury steak in my 7th/8th grade cafeteria which incorporates all those was one of my favorite lunches. Same frozen burger patties as in the hamburgers I wouldn't touch. No idea why I liked it. Only other place I ever saw it was in TV dinners!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:31 am

Started a batch of mostarda tonight. I pitted two pounds of cherries and peeled/cored two perfect Bosc pears, and they are now sitting in a bowl in the fridge mixed with the juice of one orange and half their weight in white sugar. :mrgreen:

Tomorrow, I will reduce the syrup and let it macerate again. I may or may not do a third round. Then I will prepare a bit of mustard powder in wine, toast some mustard seed, fetch forth a couple allspice and juniper berries, and jar it up.

And then wait two weeks before even *considering* opening it.

ETA: The kitchen looked like a murder site with cherry juice and pieces everywhere. I quickly decided to strip from the waist up because, well, I don't stain as easily as my undershirts do.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:24 am

And then what do you do with the mostarda once finished? I get that it's a chutney-like condiment, I'm just not well versed in the use of such condiments.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:30 am

My neighbor gave me a large zucchini, much larger than I like to use. It sat in my fridge for a few days, but yesterday I decided to cut it open. No seeds, all firm flesh, so I cut it into chunks, added to a sheet pan with a bunch a nice looking Brussels Sprouts, a large tomato I had been saving for a hamburger, Fresh Garlic EVOO, Italian Seasoning and roasted until beginning to char. Oh my, that was good with chicken last night.
I've complained about the ground hamburger I am getting at the stores, so my housekeeper who raises a few cattle, brought me hamburger yesterday. I am excited to try it. Hopefully, it will be the taste and texture we used to get a long time ago. I think a good taco bowl is in my radar for the weekend. Maybe some homemade salsa to go with!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:47 am

Jenise wrote:And then what do you do with the mostarda once finished? I get that it's a chutney-like condiment, I'm just not well versed in the use of such condiments.

It was originally made to put on meats, especially bollito misto, like you would with chutney. Other than that, it is a condiment to go on charcuterie and cheese boards.

Might try it with vanilla ice cream. (But I'd try most anything over ice cream....)
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Making poulet en cocotte tonight - in the oven right now. Stuffed the cavity with a large bundle of oregano and some fresh basil leaf, as both plants are threatening to take over our porch garden boxes if I don't use them soon. Not sure about sides yet, maybe baby lima beans simply cooked in butter, as that's one of my wife's favorites and matches well.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:40 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Tomorrow, I will reduce the syrup and let it macerate again.

Did this step last night. Whew, it's like making candy. I soon figured out that I had to pour the syrup warm back over the fruit because it was likely to turn into a solid if I let it sit much longer! And this morning, the bowl was wet again, just as the recipe predicted: the high concentration of sugar in the syrup is drawing water out of the fruit. This helps to firm it up and to preserve it longer.

Still may or may not do it again before bottling. Gotta find a good couple jars for it; there is more mass here than they promised.
PreviousNext