Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:30 pm

Mostly autumn here: swordfish, squash, and corn. (Respectively: smeared with pesto and seared in a cast-iron pan, delicata rings oven-roasted with mixed seeds, on the cob (still!).)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:32 am

Tonight I'm making gong bao chicken with cashews.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:29 pm

Gong bao and kung pao being the same?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Yes. Like Peking and Beijing. Gong bao seems to be the preferred latinization these days.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:57 pm

That sounds so good, Paul. I've got some halibut thawing for fish tacos. Not what i'm in the mood for but that hunk of fish fell out of the freezer when I opened the door, and I took that as a sign. :) Oh, and it was fresh caught in Alaska by friends. That's always special.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:04 am

Last night I made oven baked bbq ribs, Aussie style. Well sort of, for the rub I used Bush Dust a local spice mix of Tasmanian native pepper berries, macadamia nuts, bush tomatoes and other things, designed for dipping with bread and olive oil.
Roasted in foil for 2 fours then finished with a bbq glaze. Served with a simple salad and fritters with polenta, corn kernels, peppers and spring onions.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:23 am

Celebrated my 82nd b-day last night, it is actually today but eldest son came up for 2 days and helped me clean out the entire 900 sq ft. work shop my hubby spent hours in. It is so clean and organized now. Junk man coming today and for that it is like a present to me. We were both so tired last night, that the fancy dinner out was not an option. So he picked up Mongolian Beef and Dry braised chicken with steamed rice for our dinners and we loved the peace and quiet. We have an Asian restaurant out at our local airport that is a favorite of the locals. It is always busy and their food is very good. The dry braised chicken is my favorite and always a treat. Son did not want to take it home so I get to eat for the next two nights! :P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Last night I made oven baked bbq ribs, Aussie style. Well sort of, for the rub I used Bush Dust a local spice mix of Tasmanian native pepper berries, macadamia nuts, bush tomatoes and other things, designed for dipping with bread and olive oil.

"Roasted in foil for 2 fours then finished with a bbq glaze. Served with a simple salad and fritters with polenta, corn kernels, peppers and spring onions.
"
Barb, that sounds delicious. Never heard of Bush Dust, it sounds delicious. Is it sold in the US?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:39 am

So the halibut didn't happen; I ended up picking up a pizza at a new 'joint' that just opened. Used my new pizza mezzaluna for the first time--LOVE IT!!!!!!

I stopped there because I was at that shopping center for groceries. First time in 20 years I've used coupons but I just happened to, for once, browse through the coupon book they send every two weeks. Or at least have lately--I don't recall a booklet like this before about 2 or 3 months ago. Anyway, lots of things on coupon that I buy anyway: bell peppers $1.25 ea instead of $2.50. Mangos and avocados, $1 each. Tri-tip, $3.48/lb. 5 lb bag of large russets, $2. Etc etc. Saved a ton.

Barb, that dust sounds very interesting!

And Karen, happy birthday. Congrats on the clean-out.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:20 pm

Karen, Happy Birthday.
I have no idea if Bush Dust is available in America you could ask if they ship
https://tasmaniangourmetonline.com.au/p ... /bush-dust
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 am

Congratulations, Karen! And it's nice to have a clean room back.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:33 am

Thank you and yes, I actually liked going out there yesterday , as I pass through to the waste wheelers in the garden area. At 900 sq. ft. it looks so open and organized now. Even smells better. My pooch is amazed at it as well, she looked at me so funny when she finally got to go in there after the work was finished. Poor hubby had forgotten how to use the blowers and vacuums he had to keep it clean. But I never said a word, knowing that the day would come when the job would be mine. He enjoyed his time out there so much.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:59 pm

Last night I made Taylor Holliday's chao larou, Sichuan stir-fried bacon in bean sauces. This dish is nicknamed "once-cooked pork" because the seasonings and sauce are the same as for the famous "twice-cooked pork" but since it uses cured bacon instead of fresh pork belly the initial parboiling stage is skipped. I follow Taylor Holliday's lead and use thick-cut US bacon (streaky bacon elsewhere in the English-speaking world). Both Sichuan bacon and US bacon are heavily smoked, albeit they use different woods in Sichuan than in America. Provided that you avoid maple sugar cures, this dish comes out close to the original using US bacon, and it's less involved than twice-cooked pork using fresh pork belly.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:45 pm

I have a whole fresh pork hock, skin on. I'm going to roast the devil out of it today and hope for that incredible skin. Haven't decided whether to go Alsatian or Chinese on the seasoning. Or maybe I should just go American farmhouse with mashed potatoes, like my Grammy would have made.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:55 pm

They've been bringing lunch in at work. I think it relieves some of their guilt of us working 10 to 12 hour days. Anyway, bad sandwiches, bad pizza (and not enough of it (3 for a dozen people), and mediocre Americanized Chinese.

I stopped and picked up a piece of cod, and ceasar salad, and pasta salad fixings. I'll enjoy it with a nice white burgundy (2015 Henri Boillot Burgogne Blanc).

Henri Boillot is a great producer if you can find his wines. I've been buying it for a few years.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:58 am

Jenise wrote:I have a whole fresh pork hock, skin on. I'm going to roast the devil out of it today and hope for that incredible skin. Haven't decided whether to go Alsatian or Chinese on the seasoning. Or maybe I should just go American farmhouse with mashed potatoes, like my Grammy would have made.

I just had one of those ham hocks and I browned it in a cast iron pan really well. Put it in the slow cooker with Royal Corona Beans. OMG, that skin was so good, and it the meat shredded beautifully. Great pot of beans.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:13 am

Tonight, it is a sheet pan dinner. I am using up chicken pieces from the freezer, legs, wings, a thigh. They have been marinating in pineapple juice, soy sauce, sunflower oil, garlic and onion powder, and paprika. I have Yukon Gold potato chunks, red onion, tomato chunks, garlic, and Brussel Sprout halves in a bowl, and will add olive oil, spices and or herbs, and Lisbon lemon juice. This will go on the sheet pan as will a few marinated artichoke hearts. Sort of a clean up the fridge and freezer dinner. Easy to do, and no pans to wash!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:07 pm

Chicken sheet pan dinners are so easy, efficient and colorful, Karen. I should do them more often myself.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:28 pm

So on that pork hock, I went granny style. Tomato salad starter, then pork on mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans on the side.

Did it taste like Grammy's roast pork? Yes, but it's been so long since I've had a gravy made from pure pork fat that I have apparently lost my ability to enjoy that flavor without a boatload of guilt. Won't be doing that again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:50 pm

Yesterday was Meatless Monday, so dinner was three courses in front of the TV while watching that fairly meaningless Broncos/Chargers game. We started with a soft ash-coated cheese from B.C., smeared onto shards of unsalted Matzoh and drizzled with pesto sauce, then share a plate of small tomatoes cut in crescents and lightly salted, and then finished with a 50/50 mix of mac & cheese and lightly steamed chopped broccolini which has become a favorite repeat in our household. Extra tangy from parmesan, and extra oomf from lots of black pepper.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:02 pm

Working down the freezer again. Had two large chuck blade steaks around for a few months, so they've been marinating in Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, Spanish vermouth and oregano all afternoon. We'll incinerate them on the Egg in a little while. Green salad and roasted garlic potatoes will accompany that. Might be our last big outdoor barbecue of the season. Storms are coming on Friday.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:44 am

Yesterday I made a big Italian salad, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, pepperoncini, Kalamata olives, marinated artichoke, shaved parmigiana, garlic croutons lightly browned in butter and Italian dressing. Delicious
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:19 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Yesterday I made a big Italian salad, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, pepperoncini, Kalamata olives, marinated artichoke, shaved parmigiana, garlic croutons lightly browned in butter and Italian dressing. Delicious

I could eat that every day.

Didn't cook last night and won't be today, we're heading up to Vancouver for lunch. As my contribution, I'm taking a bowl of salami chips (salami dehydrated for six hours) to serve as a nibble with the starter wine which I'm also bringing (theme: Chianti).
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:10 pm

Wow, I've never heard of salami chips, did you do them in the oven
Well, I just made two salami chips in the microwave, who knew, not too bad. I usually eat the salami wrapped around a Bruno's pepper. I buy the light salami with much less calories and I love it. Thanks Jenise, always learning something new on here.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PreviousNext