Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:14 pm

Larry, sorry you're dealing with so much. I hear you on the doctor's appointments. I'm fine, but my husband has potentially serious issues (surgery coming up Thurs), my brother's cancer is back only two years after radiation and he finds out today what's next, and my best friend is getting operated on a week from today. Not ready to sign up for Lawrence Welk, but man the golden years aren't that golden, are they.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Larry, sorry you're dealing with so much. I hear you on the doctor's appointments. I'm fine, but my husband has potentially serious issues (test #2 coming up Thurs), my brother's cancer is back only two years after radiation and he finds out today what's next, and my best friend is getting operated on a week from today. Not ready to sign up for Lawrence Welk, but man the golden years aren't that golden, are they.

No, they aren't. And I even left out many of my problems. But as long as I'm not in the obits, I'm okay. (I am missing some friends, though, that did make it to the obits.)

I was telling my friend about how when you get older, it's harder to hold onto things. Your skin is drier, your skin is thinner, and your fingerprints aren't as grabby. Just today when I was mixing dough for an Italian sourdough semola bread, the jar of ascorbic acid flew out of my hands and landed in the unmixed dough. It's magic!

Anyway, a friend used to listen to me complain about that, but it didn't hit home until recently. Now in his early '70s, he's starting to experience the same thing. :lol:
'
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:51 pm

Baked a couple of Italian sourdough semola breads today. Came out nice, with a distinct sourdough* taste.

*Fed my half-dozen starters this weekend, and I used my Tennessee starter.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:54 am

Larry Greenly wrote:{M}y Tennessee starter.

That's an old Linda Ronstadt number, right?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:50 am

I think it was a Connie Francis Tennessee [something].
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:44 am

Last night the last of the Costco rotisserie chicken went into Fuchsia Dunlop's Cold Chicken with a Spicy Sichuanese Sauce (liangban ji). This has a hot-and-numbing (mala) character as opposed to the strange-flavor sauce, which is more sesame-based. I served it with Sichuanese garlicky smashed cucumber on the side.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:06 am

Edie and I were treated to a free V-day dinner after my gig tonight at a French restaurant. We had an amuse bouche, escargot, chicken tarragon, and a creme caramel. The escargot was delicious, but I've never seen it prepared before with sliced, cooked potatoes and lots of garlic and butter. Sounds strange, but it really worked.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:39 am

Had a bit of a craving for Middle Eastern food and I have an abundance of parsley, mint and lemons.
Adds up to a selection of mezze. Tabbouleh, baba ganoush, hummus, olives, fried haloumi and grilled flatbread.
I made rather a lot of tabbouli, baba ganoush and hummus so there will be more grazing changed up
with the addition of different dishes, perhaps hamine eggs, certainly something with spinach as there’s plenty of that in the garden
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:35 pm

Yesterday we went out for lunch at a local resort and had horrible food. Just for instance, the "roasted pablano chiles" we paid $2 extra for on our burger was actually just a few pieces of stir fried green bell pepper. We were so put off by the whole experience that I didn't feel like cooking later. Dinner was a box of low-salt Triscuits.

I'm not joking, that's ALL we ate.

I'm going to make up for it today. Lunch is going to be roasted zucchini with spaghetti with garlic/olive oil sauce. Dinner is finally going to be that moussaka I've been threatening to make. Will follow a recipe that recently appeared on Leite's or F&W, but will vary it to reduce the meat by half while keeping the eggplant portion intact. Just part of our general trend to eat less meat, more plants.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:29 pm

Wednesday night's moussaka never happened. Our dear 23 year old cat Marley entered the final phase of life and that displaced all other plans. We ate apples.

Then yesterday Bob had surgery, a non invasive hospital procedure under general anaesthesia in which shock waves blast large, impassable kidney stones to bits. He had four such critters. On the way home, I asked him what he would like for dinner. He could have anything. Woozy from Oxycontin and oblivious of the logistics of such a request at 3 in the afternoon, he said "Thanksgiving dinner".

Well, he got it. I bought a small rolled turkey breast and put it straight into the oven when we got home after running it under long enough to pry the bag of gravy off and lathering it with butter. A small sage and onion bread pudding was easy to throw together and eventually a cream gravy and smattering of peas finished the dish. A guest popped in with a bottle of Tavel, so that was our dinner wine.

Tonight? Not sure yet.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:59 pm

Glad to hear Bob is woozy, I mean, well.

You've got some kind of ongoing relationship with small turkey breasts. I think it's your go-to emergency meat purchase.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:13 pm

Not true! This is the first one I've bought since the last, or first, time I did the cordon bleu stuffed version.

It did bring back long, long ao memories of buying frozen boneless turkey period, a mix of white and dark meat, Butterball brand most likely, that I really liked. Really helpful for a single girl's lunch box, just whack off a few slices and add some lettuce--LUNCH! Would have hoped for that again but now that dark meat is politically incorrect it's all white, all the time.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:21 am

Jenise wrote:...but now that dark meat is politically incorrect it's all white, all the time.

Sorry, that went over my head. If you want dark meat you need to buy thighs and legs, right?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:41 pm

What I was referring to are, or were, these little boneless turkey roasts that I used to buy--frozen and netted from the Butterball people, about the size of a football, which had both white and dark meat. Those are gone--Butterball still sells frozen and netted boneless turkey roasts, but they are strictly white meat now.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:12 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Funny about netting... I see netted ham and netted lamb but no netted birds anymore.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:49 pm

I don't see anything much netted anymore. A store I used to shop at would net two portions of pork loin together to sell them as one big roast. Hilariously, a friend who didn't know one thing from another bought one and used it in a recipe that presumed you only had the standard single thickness loin and which specified the total cooking time based on that vs. a minutes-per-pound thing, cuz who would guess. Anyway, big dinner party; and she served a half-raw roast.

Those nets are hard to remove after cooking, btw. Not that in this case I had a choice.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Bringing fresh coriander chutney and yogurt, cucumber with mint raita to a dinner where takeout from and Indian restaurant will be served for celebrating a friends birthday. The person of honor loves this restaurant.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:16 pm

How nice to have good Indian take-out nearby!

Yesterday was a weird day. Bob, on pain meds, slept until 2 p.m. We had a late lunch, like 3:00, so I wasn't even sure dinner was going to be needed and I didn't plan anything. When it turned out Bob was hungry after all, I threw together some club sandwiches made from Thursday's leftover roast turkey breast. And at 8:00 he went back to bed. Good pivot.

Today: no plan yet.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:46 pm

Club sandwiches ftw! I recall a trip to France with a friend, big excuse to spend a week in wine country eating and drinking. And yet... when we got to the hotel-near-the-airport for our flights home, I was so grateful to sit in the hotel restaurant and have a simple club sandwich for dinner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:17 pm

I get it! I normally don't serve sandwiches for dinner, but this hasn't been a normal week.

Tonight's looking a little more like it because I found super thin cut pork chops at the market this morning. That's a treat I rarely see any more. They're marinating in soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, chile oil, sesame oil and rosemary. I'll fire them on the indoor grill and serve them over rice with stir fried red bell peppers/green onions.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:36 am

Jenise wrote:They're marinating in soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, chile oil, sesame oil and rosemary. I'll fire them on the indoor grill and serve them over rice with stir fried red bell peppers/green onions.

Dang! I think I want that marinade over rice!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:28 am

Regarding sandwiches for dinner, I had BLTs for dinner last week. Tonight's dinner is Sichuanese chao larou--stir-fried bacon in Sichuanese bean sauces. It's the same dish as twice-cooked pork except that it uses smoked bacon instead of fresh pork belly. Because the meat is already smoked the first step of the twice-cooked process--simmering the meat--is skipped.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:08 pm

Ooh, I don't undertake BLTs unless it's summer and I can get really good tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Dang! I think I want that marinade over rice!

It's really good. Lightly sweet, hot, tangy and savory--ticks all the boxes. No recipe, I just pour things in a Ziploc and taste with my finger, but you can't go wrong mixing those items together.
PreviousNext