Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Barb Downunder » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:44 am

Pork schnitzel, spreading the meat with seeded mustard and horseradish before the usual flour, egg.crumbs. Will serve it with a jacket potato and baked tomato.
I was looking for apple strudel recipes and came across this (in the timelife series Vienna’s Empire) enough filling for a six foot strudel! Lol
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:34 am

Thank you Barb and Jenise.....I feel a pork tsunami coming on in this house :D
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:45 pm

I am not opposed to canned clams at all. Great flavor. Husband's allergy prevents me from 'going there' with anything-clam, but I'd love the bouillabaise!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 am

What is with the clam craze right now?? Yesterday, I ordered 3 cans of Cento whole baby clams for a pasta and clam recipe I want to make as the stores did not have whole, canned baby clams in stock. Safeway said they were sold out and could not keep them in stock.

For dinner tonight it is a Chile Relleno, with a Mexican Salad. Salad, has a lime, honey, cumin, garlic, vinaigrette to dress the romaine, orange bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, fresh corn, black beans and cilantro. I did not have jicama.. Craving Mexican all of a sudden.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:14 am

Not cooking at home again until Monday. Today we ate out, very unsatisfactory. Started off with two Dave's Singles Hold The Mayo at a Wendy's to follow the bananas we ate earlier at home. Didn't unwrap the burgers until we were on the freeway beginning an 80 mile drive. Well, they held the mayo allright but both were slathered instead with ketchup and mustard. Disgusting. And worse, the meat tasted pre-cooked and old--like yesterday was its expiration date, but they grilled it off and used it today. Triple disgusting. I threw mine out. Then I bought a car. On the way home, we stopped for a good bottle of wine and went to a local eatery called Dirty Dan's Steakhouse. I'm not your typical steakhouse customer but I've been craving prime rib for what feels like two years now and around here that's where you go to get it.

We got there at 6:15. Supposedly they have three cuts available--6 ounce, 12 ounce and 20 ounce, but we were informed inspite of the early hour that all they had left was three 12 ounce cuts. At 6:00 on Saturday night????? It will be a long time, if ever, before I do that again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:58 am

You are not having too good of luck with eating out, Jenise. I feel your pain as I usually am disappointed, especially when I try a new place. I never understand how many folks rave about this and that at a drive thru, or a local dive, and when I try it, I usually end up with something I toss out.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:46 pm

Simple meal, but sure good: chicken enchiladas with chile colorado sauce, black beans, and rice. Yum.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:38 am

How things evolve,
Once upon a time I bought a 500gm pork loin roast and this is what happened, not strictly in order
1. Roasted pork loin with roasted vegetables
2. Roast pork sandwiches
3. Cooked remaining pork roast slowly in tomato for pulled
Pork adding a can of Chile beans for pork n beans
4. Take the two thin steaks I took off before the roast,beat ‘em up and make schnitzels
5. Nachos with the chili beans and pork, sour cream and guacamole
6. removed excess fat and rendered

When will it all end???..
Is this the real story behind the loaves and fishes?
Do I need to get out more…?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:09 pm

Tonight it is a taco bowl. Tortilla crisped in oven in a fluted taco bowl. Bottom layer is refried black beans with red onion, roasted garlic, jalapeño pepper, and a little salsa.
Then a layer of lean ground beef, red bell pepper, chile pepper, onion, roasted garlic, and chopped savoy cabbage, (need to use it up) seasoning. Next layer, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado. Lindy's taco sauce and cilantro will top it all off.
Forgot to mention tortilla is a tomato basil, very lo cal and tasty.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:11 am

Tonight I made cream of pheasant soup with chicken meatballs and ramen noodles. (My life is too complicated.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:59 pm

I bet it was very tasty... sounds good to me!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Jeff, that soup of yours is three things I would never have considered putting in the same bowl, but that's me just being pedestrian. It actually sounds pretty good!

Speaking of pedestrian, we had split pea soup last night. Homemade and meatless as is my preference, but still. Just split pea!

No idea what's on for tonight. New car arrives any minute now and I have no room in my brain for anything else at the moment.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks, Karen and Jenise.

It was Pumpkin's birthday recently (April 3) and I had made -- I think I reported -- a sort of a pheasant coq au vin. Well, the bird backs and trimmings went into a stock pot, of course, so here I am a few days later with 10 cups of pheasant broth. We like pot pie and a cream of Bird soup is in that neighborhood but, having eaten the pheasants as pieces, meat had to be found. Alas, even a very good butcher does not offer ground pheasant (imagine!) so chicken meatballs is it. And the ramen, well... I'd've chosen egg noodles or even spaetzle but His Squashy Majesty likes ramen so put a bed of cooked ramen in each bowl and ladle the soup on top!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:55 pm

A new car! I have owned exactly two cars in my life, both when I lived in CT in the 1980s. While I appreciate that a car of any size is like owning a motor home, I am glad not to have to be responsible for parking, maintenance, inevitable parking tickets, insurance, and so on.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:19 pm

Ten cups of broth is a pretty good haul for a single pheasant carcass, good job. The soup sounds divine. Like you, we love pot pie flavors.

Yeah, new car. A neccessity where we live. And my god, the technology now. It's overwelming. I can work the pedals but it's going to take awhile to figure out the rest.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:30 pm

Two birds so better than that.

Oh, yeah, I rented a car recently and it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to apply the parking brake! (There was no lever, there was no button... it was done for me with a combination of foot-on-brake and shifting into P.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Yup. I went through that when I bought the '15 Audi I'm replacing. Took me a bit to figure out--and trust--the automation. The new car is even slicker. And now I've got like a whole computer to figure out, from music to telephone.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:15 pm

I rented a car once and tried to fill 'er up when I returned it, but I couldn't find the gas cap cover release anywhere on the dashboard. I'd still be there if a young gal hadn't showed me it was on the floor between the driver's seat and the door. Not exactly intuitive.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:00 pm

Larry, been there too!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:42 pm

I waited all day for tonight's meal: a meatloaf sandwich using my meatloaf made a couple of days ago and my homemade bread. Yum.

And, by an amazing coincidence, our mail today contained a bag of Middleswarth BBQ chips sent by a relative in Pennsylvania. Even yummer. My favorite potato chip, which is like heroin to me. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Meatloaf sandwiches are truly to die for. What else do you put on yours? I've seen some tricked out like a hamburger but for me, just mustard and good bread (preferably sourdough).
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am

Tonight's dinner is a tuna salad which includes celery, English cucumber, radishes, green onions. red onion, Kalamata olives, parsley and mint. The dressing is Dijon mustard, lime juice, olive oil, sumac, s & p, and crushed red pepper flakes. Served with sourdough bread. I keep Tonnino Yellow Fin jarred tuna fillets in the pantry for this salad and a few others.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:09 pm

Sounds good, Karen. I must admit, I love a tuna salad. We had one for lunch just a few days ago.

Tonight I'm doing our first fresh halibut of the season. A nice belly cut. Not sure exactly how I'm going to prepare it yet. Wanted to do a proscuitto wrap but the store I was at didn't have any proscuitto, strangely. Might cedar plank it; Bob loves that. Asparagus will figure into the meal, as well as some salmon sashimi.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Meatloaf sandwiches are truly to die for. What else do you put on yours? I've seen some tricked out like a hamburger but for me, just mustard and good bread (preferably sourdough).

You'll go ewwww, but mayo, provolone, lettuce, and a grinding of black pepper. I have a bit of mustard in the glaze on the meatloaf. FWIW, they were wonderful.
PreviousNext