Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:50 am

Today I might do the meal I call "Corn Stand". When I was a child my grandmother would often come over with bags full of fresh corn, tomatoes, and summer squashes from the Corn Stand between her house and ours. It's impossible to replicate the flavors because 1) the specific corn variety is not available (here, or perhaps anywhere), and 2) nowadays, and commercially, every ear is just like the next. One of the wonderful things about the corn of my childhood is that they were hand-picked and any dozen (13 was a dozen, always) would include ears that were very young with small, almost white kernels; some very old, large chewy dark yellow kernels; and all stages in between. Sadly, modern seed varieties, and perhaps growing techniques, seem to have bred out those wonderful variations I so treasured.

To this day, though, a vegetarian dinner consisting of those three items remains a favorite thing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Today I might do the meal I call "Corn Stand". When I was a child my grandmother would often come over with bags full of fresh corn, tomatoes, and summer squashes...
To this day, though, a vegetarian dinner consisting of those three items remains a favorite thing.

Succotash is great, especially when everything fresh, and I'm sure the memories make it even sweeter.

Although if I'm appealing to my pure pleasure centers, I might replace basil for the squash, maybe a touch of garlic, finish with lemon/lime. Love that version of summer.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:35 pm

wait, what? Succotash? Where are the limas? Or at least green beans. And squash in succotash? As a real Southerner (sorry, a few years in Chapel Hill aren't enough ) I object. :)
But Jenise's dinner sounds great.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:54 pm

Dale Williams wrote:And squash in succotash? As a real Southerner (sorry, a few years in Chapel Hill aren't enough ) I object. :)

Ha!

I always thought of succotash as a North Eastern Native American dish that found an off-shoot in the South. With the root being corn and I guess you're correct with beans, but various add-ons as needed are appropriate...

Either way, I agree, I'm sure Jenise had a great dinner.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:57 pm

In Berlin for the summer which is always challenging in terms of cooking in another kitchen. But, one of the great glories of summer in Berlin is chanterelles. So I buy/cook/eat them regularly.

Tonight was an especially good meal of tuna with tomato sauce and capers, sauteed chanterelles and basil, roasted fennel, and rice. And of course since I was at home, I could be very generous with the chanterelles and the basil.

Lovely match with a Riesling GG and a Spatburgunder.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:06 pm

Sounds like a great dinner, Rahsaan. How's your son doing? He's growing up on your food so he must surely be fine with the pescatarian life, but has he fallen for frankfurters yet?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:25 pm

Jenise wrote:How's your son doing? He's growing up on your food so he must surely be fine with the pescatarian life, but has he fallen for frankfurters yet?

Yes, my son is navigating through my persnickety food preferences...

My wife and I are pescetarian but I've always cooked chicken for my son. From the time in Germany he definitely picked up a taste for various sausages. And from the US, he picked up a love for burgers, which are also quite popular in Germany. So for his 12 year old self, it's plenty of fun to compare the various burgers in Berlin to the various US burgers he's had.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:13 pm

Betsy thought my corn from FM today was unfortunate, but I told her Jenise would like the assortment
https://share.icloud.com/photos/016RqXN ... pm1bOtswCw

Tasted good (with grilled whole black sea bass stuffed with lemon and fennel fronds)

Rahsaan, sounds like you are taking exploration in stride. I had friends (now sister in law etc) who were pescetarian, was interesting as kids aged and experimented (one now ominvore who loves burgers/ribs etc, one pretty much pescetarian - although she did experiment one year in France)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:42 am

Dale Williams wrote:Rahsaan, sounds like you are taking exploration in stride...

Yes, it's no problem to me. In my case, I'm pescetarian just because I've never really eaten much meat so I can't digest it. And, I'm not inspired to work up to it.

But, if parents had strict dietary habits because of religious, philosophical, ideological reasons, I can imagine it might create conflict if the kids wanted to pursue different paths.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:24 pm

Rahsaan wrote:My wife and I are pescetarian but I've always cooked chicken for my son. From the time in Germany he definitely picked up a taste for various sausages. And from the US, he picked up a love for burgers, which are also quite popular in Germany. So for his 12 year old self, it's plenty of fun to compare the various burgers in Berlin to the various US burgers he's had.

It's cool that you're giving him the option of choice; worst thing, I'm sure, would be for him to feel weird among his peers. Let him learn. A friend who grew up 7th Day Adventist vegetarian talks about how hard it was to feel different. She leans that direction even now for the health benefit, but considers herself an omnivore.

So about the meal I was planning for yesterday, I need to clear up some confusion. I wasn't actually planning to combine the corn, tomatoes and squash into a single dish. More like corn as a main course with squash and tomatoes as separate side dishes.

As it is, my plans got derailed because Rahsaan mentioned succotash which got me wondering if I could find a place to order fresh lima beans from the east coast. These days almost anything you want can land on your doorstep overnight, but I've looked for several years now and not found a source. So I called my BIL who grew up on St. James Island (near Charleston). That led to us discussing limas (which are getting harder and harder to find--20 years ago a local Safeway offered both baby limas and Fordhooks but the Fordhooks have disappeared and I haven't been able to find baby limas at Haggen, which did used to carry them). Like peas, I always like to have them in my freezer since fresh isn't a possibility.

So my BIL John and I were talking about all things bean: limas, speckled butter beans, black eyed peas and field peas. My brother Chris believes he cooked 'field peas' in South Carolina once but what he describes are what John confirms as being speckled butter beans. A field pea appears to be like a black eyed pea but smaller, and will be both green and brown in color. I've never had them. When I googled butter beans, besides the speckled variety what comes up are what look to me like the big Fordhook limas which, in the canned state or when cooked from a dried lima, end up called butter beans but they aren't actually a different specie of bean.

So that led to us trying to get any of these to the west coast. We found frozen butter beans at a Kroger chain in Seattle, and have a call in to the local Fred Meyer, also a Kroger chain, to see if they can order some up for us.

That also led to them deciding to come over for dinner. And I'd long been promising them a Cowboy steak dinner wherein Chuck Eye steaks are dredged in coffee, sugar and salt and grilled over charcoal until crispy. I prepared an olive-heavy gardineria for snacking on with white wines, then served the steaks, sliced and toppled in a pile over argula seasoned with lemon juice and EVOO, with potatoes in a fresh mixed herb and garlic sauce, and corn cut off the cob and pan fried in butter. (Much as I love to eat corn off the cob, my husband can't eat that, and it's messy so this was best.)

Dale, that corn is hilarious. A condition you might call Growis Interuptis, or something, but funny that one of the three was normal.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:02 pm

I am reminded of Cinderella and her two step-sisters....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:27 pm

Last night for dinner we just had tomato/garlic/basil bruschetta. Fresh local tomatoes trumped all other possibilities. Otherwise been cooking experimental things associated with the upcoming annual terrine dinner.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:00 pm

Tonight I'm making chao larou--Sichuan stir-fried bacon. This is almost identical to the famous twice-cooked pork (huigaorou) except it uses bacon instead of fresh pork belly and the first cooking stage (boiling) is skipped (the smoking of the bacon has replaced this stage).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:09 pm

Funny you mention this dish as I was just thinking about it earlier this week. Twice Cooked Pork is something I remember from the Chinese restaurants of my childhood but probably haven't laid eyes on in 40 years. It always featured green cabbage as the primary vegetable which is what brought it to mind, thinking through main course dishes that use a lot of cabbage (I'm a bit long on cabbage at the moment due to a different unmaterialized plan).
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:09 am

I’m playing with a number of things in my kitchen at the moment. It’s truffle season and I have friends coming for lunch tomorrow where I will serve Wagyu steaks on cauliflower purée with sauce Perigord.
I will start with probably tasting platter of cheese etc. And I have made a black truffle ice cream for dessert with some home-made sugar cookies (shaped like wombats. Long story :-))
I may make some bread as well, as I have a starter going in the fridge and a special flour I’m trying..
Made from wheat grown from an initial import by the growers of five grains of wheat from an ancient Egyptian tomb. They are now harvesting commercial quantities,. It’s ita nice golden colour. With a nice flavour, kind of nutty.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:29 am

I didn't plan dinner at home last night because I thought we were going out--a calendar malfunction, wherein I wrote in the event a day early, it's today. So I made a grilled cheese and tomato on rye for Bob, and I just ate a healthy plate of raw vegetables. Boring, but I felt good about it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:And I have made a black truffle ice cream for dessert...

!!!
Say more, please. How did you make it? What does it taste like?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:19 pm

The "twice cooked pork" served in US Chinese restaurants usually is almost nothing like the original Sichuan dish. The Sichuan dish is made with fresh pork belly that is first boiled in one piece, then sliced and stir-fried with Pixian doubanjiang (fermented broad bean and chile paste) and fermented black beans. The vegetables in the stir-fry are baby leeks and celery. The pork belly is cooked until it renders its fat, but not until brown or crisp. As you might guess the dish comes out quite oily. It's meant to be eaten by picking out the pieces of meat and vegetable and eating them along with plain rice. If you do the usual stir-fry thing and dump the whole mess over the rice it will be too greasy.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:43 pm

What I remember was fatty pork slices (I wouldn't have known the word 'belly' then, at least beyond what my mother continuously admonished me for not pulling in enough :) ) Probably some belly with some loin attached. Mildly seasoned, blonde sauce. And cabbage, lots of cabbage.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:10 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:And I have made a black truffle ice cream for dessert...

!!!
Say more, please. How did you make it? What does it taste like?

Really it is just a classic ice cream made with creme anglaise where the scalded cream and milk is infused with grated truffle. I used 10 g of truffle for a three egg yolk anglaise.
It was very subtle in flavour, a bit sweet for my taste so if I do it again, I’ll knockback the sugar and maybe put in a little more truffle for a more pronounced truffle flavour.
I will do a bit more research and compare recipes which may align better with the taste profile I’m after.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:17 am

Today I am cooking baby back pork ribs, on a bed of onions that have been marinated in a pickle juice. Ribs have been seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, and Birria sauce I had frozen last month. Baby Yukon Gold potatoes, with a light coating of olive oil, cut side down and placed on a layer of Parmesan Reggiano, then roasted until done and cheese has browned edges. A fresh cucumber salad with garlic and ginger, an Ottolenghi recipe I have been wanting to try, will round out the meal. I have fresh asparagus that will be cooked quickly on the grill pan for my veggie.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:51 pm

Jenise, that actually sounds like Fuchsia Dunlop's description of the cut of pork they use in Sichuan for twice-cooked pork. It's not a cut that Western butchery does. Pork belly is a substitute with a similar fat:lean ratio and works very well. The blonde sauce definitely isn't authentic. Pixian doubanjiang, sweet wheat paste, and black beans yield a dark, red-brown sauce. And very aromatic!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:38 pm

No, American butchery doesn't leave the loin attached to the belly although British back bacon is cut that way. It's really good!

I've been working on terrine stuff all week. For this event, I don't go to a recipe someone else wrote. I choose a theme based on wine choice and then spend days on end trying to bring something to life within it. I had one idea that I was making a variation of every day, in which the principal ingredient was egg. While the idea still has great merit, I got tired of eating eggs every day and quit before I got to the goal. Then I said what if I just choose a favorite main course dish that I'd love for those wines, and turn that into a terrine? The result, first try, is fantastic. Still needs some tweaking before I go final, but I love what I've made.

Today's my first day off that project in a week. Tonight for dinner, we remain eggless: cacio y pepe.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:15 am

Got a deal on Dover sole today, so had a quick and easy dinner. Sole fillets lightly coated with a seasoned flour/cornmeal mixture, sauteed in macadamia oil and with a browned butter sauce, peas, and Basmati rice.
PreviousNext