Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cleaning glass cooktop

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Cleaning glass cooktop

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 pm

I just renovated my kitchen and have a Dacor glass cooktop. I have been having a difficult transition as far as keeping it clean. Ditto with my new stainless steel appliances.
This morning, while heating a pot of milk, I became momentarily distracted, and it boiled over leaving a hardened mess on the cooktop. I haven't been able to remove all of it by using soap and water, and I'm afraid to use anything too abrasive. I have a special cream to use on the cooktop, but I've always removed all the stucked stuff prior to using. What should I do?
Diane
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: Cleaning glass cooktop

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:09 pm

We also have a glass cooktop and my wife (she does the cooking and I do the cleaning) is "forever" letting pots boil over on the stove.

We have some sort of small, plastic scraping device that has a razor blade at the end. Sort of looks like those small car windshield ice scrapers.

I remove hard stuff with the razor blade. It is great, it just scrapes off and then I can polish it with the cream.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 pm

We have some sort of small, plastic scraping device that has a razor blade at the end. Sort of looks like those small car windshield ice scrapers.
Sounds like a widget. That's what I use when stuff gets burned onto my pizza stone.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:15 pm

Bruce - is that device something that came with the cooktop? While reading the cleaning directions in the cooktop manual, it made reference to a blade. I don't remember coming across one.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:16 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
Sounds like a widget. That's what I use when stuff gets burned onto my pizza stone.

Linda - where does one obtain a widget?
Diane
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Bruce - is that device something that came with the cooktop? While reading the cleaning directions in the cooktop manual, it made reference to a blade. I don't remember coming across one.

I don't think it came with the stove. My wife bought it, but I have no idea where.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:42 pm

Diane, I googled and this is what I found so far.

http://thisoldcrackhouse.blogspot.com/2006/03/painting-windows-quick-and-easy.html

If you scroll down just a bit you'll see one pictured. Under the comments sections it's said you can get them at Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-mart, although another commenter stated he couldn't find them anywere. They may be called razor scrapers. He also suggested trying http://www.reddevil.com (I didn't check this out).
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Linda - I think I'll check this out at my local Home Depot.
Diane
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Widgets are often referred to in accounting classes, but you can get razor blade scrapers at hardware stores, building stores, woodworking places, and art supply stores. Probably even stationery stores and other places.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:49 pm

I'd call Dacor's customer service number before using a razor edge gizmo. My husband used one of these on one of our our new Lo-E windows and scratched them. This is a special coating to reflect the suns rays. Your glass top may have some sort of special coating you are not aware of. I have a big Dacor gas, six burner stove. The black grates have turned white in some spots. I called Dacor wanting to know what I could use to get rid of the white spots and found out those heavy black grates are porcelain. Who knew?
no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

by Bob Sisak » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:42 am

We have a glass top bought about 18 months ago. The first time something wouldn't come off I called the store we got it from and asked them what to do. They told us to use a razor blade to scrape off whatever was there and just clean as usual from there. I'm not the neatest cook and I get grease splatters, sauce drippings, etc. on the cook top that invariably doesn't wipe off. So, I first spray some Simple Green (409 or anything like that would work, too) and wipe it off. Then I scrape off anything that doesn't take up with a razor blade. Finally, I squirt on the cook top cleaner, scrub with the rough side of one of those blue sponges and wipe up with paper towels. After a year and a half it still looks like new. :D
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 am

Great advice, all. I had one of those blade scrapers (I'm pretty sure it came with the cooktop), and scraped off all of the sticky mess. It worked better wet than dry, and then the cooktop cream.

Bob, I will try the 409 next time. I've been afraid of using anything but mild dish soap.

Now....how do you keep your stainless steel appliances free of streaks and fingerprints?
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

by Bob Sisak » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 pm

As for the stainless steel, I use the same stuff I use for all my cleaning - Simple Green. It's concentrated so you can mix it with water to any strength you need - or use it straight for really stubborn stuff like oil stains on the driveway. Anyway, I use it for everything and it doesn't streak anything - chrome, glass, painted surfaces (refrigerators, dishwashwers, etc.) and of course stainless steel.
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:42 pm

The best stuff I've found, including 409, is a concentrated liquid called Awesome. It even takes off dried, polymerized grease from my many splatters.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:44 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:The best stuff I've found, including 409, is a concentrated liquid called Awesome. It even takes off dried, polymerized grease from my many splatters.

Larry - where is it sold?
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Bruce has it right Diane, use a razor blade/box cutter and scrape like hell. We have had one of these glass tops for some years now and I wish every day for it to burn out. There comes a time that while you get the accidents off the top, but the top loses it's luster, and I do not think it is from using the razor blade. BTW, that special cream does help, but it isn't the end all the sellers want you to believe it is.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:48 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:The best stuff I've found, including 409, is a concentrated liquid called Awesome. It even takes off dried, polymerized grease from my many splatters.

Larry - where is it sold?

I've been buying it the last few years in a thrift store for a buck a pop. The stuff really is awesome. Here's a link: http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/index.html