Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Curly endive spears?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Curly endive spears?

by Jenise » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 am

One of the most interesting foods I had in San Francisco was a salad with a few whole very pale white/yellow endive leaves, otherwise identical to Belgian endive in color, flavor, width and length, wherein the outer edges were curly/frilly. They were very attractive. Anyone seeing this produce in your area?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Curly endive spears?

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:55 am

I wonder if it might be chicory. Endive and chicory are often mistaken here and elsewhere. Chicory meets your criteria, colour flavour and frills but is a much more open structure, like an oak leaf lettuce etc rather than tightly embraced.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:42 am

Doesn't sound like anything I've seen here, but I'll keep an eye out for it.Where did you have this?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:45 am

Do you think they might have just harvested the outer leaves to make a pretty presentation? Sounds kind of foo-foo, but if the price was right ...

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:31 am

No, Barb and Robin, neither of those. They were the color, size and shape of a Belgian endive leaf--the curliness on the sides wasn't just rough edges, they were like, oh what, like the legs on a centipede maybe. Individual little spikes.

Mike, this was at Boulevard in San Francisco, and I believe the menu even called out the _____ endive in the name of the salad I ordered. I took a pic of the dish, let me me see if that shows it well enough.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Jenise wrote:No, Barb and Robin, neither of those. They were the color, size and shape of a Belgian endive leaf--the curliness on the sides wasn't just rough edges, they were like, oh what, like the legs on a centipede maybe. Individual little spikes.

Ooh - kinky!

Fairly broad leaf like regular endive? Probably escarole - take a look and tell us if you see it.

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/seeds/veg ... -escarole/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:14 am

Perhaps it's puntarelle?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:No, Barb and Robin, neither of those. They were the color, size and shape of a Belgian endive leaf--the curliness on the sides wasn't just rough edges, they were like, oh what, like the legs on a centipede maybe. Individual little spikes.

Ooh - kinky!

Fairly broad leaf like regular endive? Probably escarole - take a look and tell us if you see it.

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/seeds/veg ... -escarole/

No, not escarole, I'm familiar with that. This is a Belgian type endive.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:35 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Perhaps it's puntarelle?

Good suggestion but no, not that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 pm

endive.jpg

Okay, so here's a picture of the salad I had at Boulevard with the curly Belgian endive. The truffle slices give you a scaled idea of how small and narrow the spears were. (The salad also consisted of burrata cheese, white corn and microgreens.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:18 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 am

No, I know and understand curly endive. It has a different texture and flavor than Belgian Endive. And of course, bigger heads. Smaller/younger heads are known as frisee. This was neither. It was exactly the color, texture and sweeter flavor of Belgian Endive, with leaves about the same length and width as Belgian endive at the base but wider at the top.

Hmmmm...this is turning out to be rarer than I thought.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Was it this? http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce ... _14356.php

Aha! We may have winner!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:13 am

Coraline chicory, pronounced ‘cora-leen,’ is a brand-new variety of chicory. Coraline chicory is a variety of Cichorium intybus and is related to dandelions, endive and radicchio. Coraline chicory is only grown in one place, California’s Rio Vista. The new variety began production at the end of 2016 and is currently being served in high end restaurants in Sacramento and California’s Bay Area.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Indeed, that's probably the guy. The picture isn't as convincing as the description--but that's probably it! And now we all know we can't go out and buy it--DANG!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Aw - I was looking forward to seeing it with your terrine.... :mrgreen: