Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A coffee maker testimonial

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

A coffee maker testimonial

by Jenise » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:38 am

A man I met on the original Compuserve wine forum a long, long time ago became my adopted 'brother'; some of you will remember him, his name is Jon Lowry.

Since then he had an issue with alcohol that AA helped him with so he no longer drinks wine (and he wouldn't mind me saying that, in fact he'd be proud), but we have plenty else to talk about and just a few days ago he sent me an email (he's a great story-teller, if slightly profane) about his experiences with coffee. I volunteered to post it here as a shout-out to the manufacturer who treated him so well.

With respect thereto, I’ve thought of you several times recently, and was re-reminded to ask you about something having to do with coffee when I saw one of you Facebook posts where you were talking about enjoying a specific brew one morning. How passionate are you about it? Do you apply the same level of discriminating taste to coffee as to food and wine? The reason I’m asking is because I have a story to tell you that I think you’ll enjoy, and might even benefit from. And as Winnie the Pooh says, “it’s a long story, and even longer when I tell it."

When I got divorced from Suzann, one of the first things I did to “treat” myself was to go out and buy a good coffee grinder and dripper. Suzann drank whatever - she used to ruin it with blobs of cream and sugar anyway, so who cared about the coffee? I remember someone on the Wine Forum saying that the first step to better coffee is certainly to grind it yourself, but use a grinder that grinds “through” rather than one of the “whirly-gig” kind that re-grinds the coffee, making for an inconsistent texture. So I marched over to Starbucks across the street from my condo and bought one of their burr grinders and a drip maker that they recommended - I remembered they said that you should never buy a maker that brews more than 8 cups because that’s the perfect amount of grounds before the flavor starts to suffer (most of the “connoisseur" makers follow that rule) . So years and thousands of cups went by. The only further flavor-related thing I did was to buy a French Press, which offered superior flavor over the dripper, but I hated dealing with the French mess, and it just cooled off so quickly, even if I immediately poured it into a thermal pitcher.

Then about 3 months ago, my dripper died - no, I’m not talking about erectile dysfunction. It wasn’t the machine itself, but the thermal pitcher which I had replaced once before after one day at work I put the pitcher on the roof of my car to load my computer, forgot, then once I hit the highway, I saw it roll off and someone ran over it - deliberately too (another fascinating story). Anyhow, instead of finding another pitcher on eBay, I decided to see whether there might be something interesting going on in the drip-maker industrial segment. A friend of mine has a Kitchen-Aid maker that allows you to adjust the speed of the brewing process, which I’d read made a difference, and the coffee was good out of his machine although he drank something like Chock Full o’ Nuts and I figured if THAT crap could taste good, it must be a good maker.

So I went out and did some research and found that yes, surprise surprise, there are companies making specialized drip-makers at ridiculous prices, but some fancy artisan tasting associations were saying they make coffee as good as French Messes, so I was intrigued. Apparently there are 3 things that have an effect on the taste, assuming of course you’re using good beans and through-grinding it yourself: 1) the temperature of the water - and even more specifically whether that temperature is consistent, 2) the speed of the brew, and 3) whether it has an infusion stage, which is where the first dose of water is allowed to sit in the grounds for a period of time to bring out the initial “bloom” (that’s really what it’s called, which makes me wonder whether it’s related in any way to “bloomers” which is what my grandmother used to call women’s underpants). Apparently there are only a few makers that meet all these criteria and are officially recognized by the Association of Artisans (AA) or whatever it’s called. Actually AA has a long-standing tradition of featuring the WORST fucking coffee on God’s earth, part of which gives the movement a powerful humility.

The maker that intrigued me was the Brazen-Plus made by Behmor, a small family company in Arizona. And of course I call it the Brassiere Plus. A big part of what intrigued me of course, is that it uses sophisticated digital technology to achieve an earthy result. You pre-calibrate it to your altitude above sea level (yes!) and set the water temp you want (you can pre-set all these so you don’t have to do it every time). Then you fill the reservoir and it heats the entire reservoir FIRST to the exact temp - so it doesn’t heat the water “in-line” like most makers. Then it releases some of the water into the grounds (it has a large sprinkler head that disperses it out evenly) and the pre-infusion stage commences (you can set this for different lengths). Then it brews the rest of the pot in periodic spurts. The difference is amazing. There are only a few downsides: The brew process is longer - I’d guess about 15 minutes. It only brews 8 cups, so if you are used to having 12 cups for the Stone Bacchanals, it might be a problem, or just do what I did - buy a bigger thermal pitcher for $10 on Amazon - which you’ll need anyway because of the 2nd downside - the thermal carafe that comes with the Bra-Plus doesn’t totally close on top - they should have come up with a valve of some sort - so the coffee cools off more quickly in their pitcher. But I think those are pretty small downsides for a better cwup of cwoffee. You could always keep your 24-cup maker for the parties.

The thing runs $160. And my previous one ran $80, so it was just a little much to justify the cost, especially to a tightwad like Kimberlee, so I found a used one on eBay for $85 and bought it. I set it up, did my first brew, but the thing wouldn’t shut off - it kept clicking as though it was still trying to pass more water (which happens to me sometimes). I contacted Behmor and apologized that I was such a cheap-skate and was contacting their Tech Support on something I’d bought off eBay, but I just wanted to see if I’d done something wrong in the setup. They looked up the serial number and found that it had been sold to some lady and she had reported the defect. Behmor had sent her a new one and told her to trash the bad one. That shit-head got her new maker and tried to sell the bad one. Probably a fucking alcoholic. So of course I returned it and threatened to contact eBay if she tried to sell it again.

But here’s the kicker, sister of mine who loves a long story which is even longer when I tell it: the tech support person at Behmor explained the situation to their president and he felt badly and said they’d sell me a new one for $85. Now THAT is real customer service! It’s also not surprising - apparently he donates makers to poor coffee plantation owners so they can really taste their products. So I promised them I’d tell everyone this story. The problem: you are about the only one I know who a) would probably even care about this, and b) wouldn’t have a spouse who’d scream, “YOU PAID $160 FOR A FUCKING COFFEE MAKER? YOU NEVER HEARD OF MR. COFFEE? $10 AT WAL-MART?”

Here’s a link to the device. http://behmor.com/brazen-plus/. You can order them on Amazon. They also make a version that interfaces with your smartphone, but I’m just not quite THAT geeky. if you buy it, when you register it, tell them you heard my story about their selling it at a discount because I had to deal with the eBay Bitch from Vermont.

Next step? I’m definitely going to learn to roast my own beans - Behmor makes a counter-top roaster.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: A coffee maker testimonial

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:17 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's Jon all right! Tell him I said howdy.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Excellent! And timely as I'm due to replace our Zojirushi thermal soon. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm pretty happy with my cheap but effective Aeropress, but then, I'm sufficiently unsophisticated to be happy with Illy brand Espresso from Trieste, pre-ground and vaccuum-packed. :oops:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm

That's a good story, Pooh.

The Brazen's technique sounds like what the ladies at my corner shoppe do when I ask for a pour-over coffee.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm

That's great service from Behmor - they deserve to have that story told.

We have a Technivorm Moccamaster, which is also an "automated pour-over" system. It's not as adjustable as the Behmor and you have to intervene manually if you want to geek out with different infusion times and such. It really does make great coffee, though. Quality-wise, I'd put that Aeropress pretty close (and the Aeropress runs about $150 less). I really need something that makes multiple cups with little effort while I'm stumbling around in the morning, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:14 am

Stone Bacchanals

He DOES know you well! :mrgreen:

Too bad these gadgets start around $300 Can. or I'd be tempted to try one - although I am pretty set on French press for my small amounts of coffee.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:17 am

I enjoy a nice cup of coffe but I am by no means a connoisseur. I have never never made good coffee, tried percolated,drip, press, the Italian thing where the boiling water goes up the spout, meh.
So I mused on the Nespresso and the boss went into oh oh mode, surfed the net and purchased a BReville duo temp Pro. A domestic but proper espresso machine (you load the filter basket with ground coffee, no pods) with a steam wand to texture the milk). At around $250 a good investment.
We now have excellent coffee every morning (and as required) deviated once or twice on the coffee and returned to our Lavazza.

I think one of the profound differences between our cultures is how we do coffee. I think in the USA there is a preference for filter coffee while we downunder tend to go with espresso based coffee drinks.
Now I think about it people living in high altitudes ie my friends in Los Alamos and Albuquerque should be using espresso not filter, the pressure would get the temp high enough to make a decent cup of joe.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Good observation, Barb. And you're right that most Americans prefer a brewed coffee. I love French press--since I converted to French Press simple drip coffee doesn't taste as good to me, yet it used to be all I'd drink. Espresso drinks are just too strong and too small. I make a French Press mug full and my one daily cup of joe stays hot for about two hours. Gives me time to finish it, and never tastes burnt (the way brewed coffee tastes to me about 14 minutes after it's made.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Still good at 13, though, amirite?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:49 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Still good at 13, though, amirite?

Questionable. Very questionable. :)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:11 am

Jenise wrote:Espresso drinks are just too strong and too small. .)

Dilution is the answer! Top up with hot water for a long black, hot milk for cafe latte, stretched milk for a cappuccino, any number of variations on the hot water and a 'stain' of milk for macchiato.
And of course the shot of hot espresso over good vanilla ice cream and you favourite liqueur for what is, for some. The ultimate dessert the affagato.

Aussies are all a bit crazy about their coffee these days. Baristas, latte art, newfangled ways of brewing, hot or cold, weird gadgets; not in my tiny town however we stick to the above.
My choice at the venue where I play scrabble is a cappuccino in a mug.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:12 pm

I do love a great cappucino, Barb. And I live in the Pacific Northwest where America's coffee fad (and Starbucks) began. If we go out for a coffee, that's what I want. I just don't make them at home and love dragging my two/three-hour hot mug of coffee around. I rarely finish the last drop, which gives it a bottomless sensation.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Barb Downunder wrote: The ultimate dessert the affogato.

Ha! I had one just the other night, Barb, at a nice Italian restaurant near us. I'm a big fan of espresso and espresso drinks, too, and enjoyed remembering the subtle differences in naming between the US and Australia ... although I understand Starbucks has a flat white now. :)

The simple Aeropress that I use to make morning coffee was supposedly created to emulate the espresso machine in a simple, three-part presser. I'm not sure how valid that is, but when I use espresso coffee in it, as I usually do, the result is more like espresso than drip coffee, so there's that.
https://aerobie.com/product/aeropress/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:The ultimate dessert the affagato.

FTW.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Barb -

My dad has a Breville espresso maker which I believe is the same one you have. He owned a coffee place for a few years and is very picky about his espresso. He used to have a really expensive Italian espresso machine that ended up breaking down on him. After having to ship the thing out of state a couple of times for repairs, he finally gave up and got them to take it back. He bought the Breville after that and has been very happy with it. I'd get one, but we just don't have room left on any of the counters.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:32 am

The most impressive coffee maker I've ever experienced was made by Jura. Bob Ross had one in his kitchen when we went there for the Great Bob Ross Jeebus several years ago. Put whole beans in one compartment and fill the water reservoir, which filters the water, place a cup under the spigot, press a button and a minute later you have a great cup of coffee. However, the price is too high for me to justify. Similar to this one.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:26 am

I enjoy having a range of coffee options. From a La Spaziale espresso machine for a daily shot in the morning (actually a cappuccino), to a Technivorm for a pot. Aeropress or a Hario pour over for a single brewed cup.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 am

Greg H wrote:Aeropress or a Hario pour over for a single brewed cup.

I'm glad to see a vote for Aeropress. I've been very happy with mine, and don't have any real problem filling it up and getting two morning cups out of it. It makes stronger and cleaner coffee than French press - no way for any grit to get through - and if you play along with the inventor's notion, it builds air pressure sort of like a mini espresso machine. A little bit? It's good, anyway.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:39 am

I drink French Press every day and am not drinking grit. It's not a given, IOW, that grit is a standard problem.

Speaking of grit, though, it can actually be kind of attractive in a turkish coffee.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 am

I drink French press on weekdays and drip on weekends. I never get ANY grit in my press coffee; anyone that does should buy a better press.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I drink French press on weekdays and drip on weekends. I never get ANY grit in my press coffee; anyone that does should buy a better press.

Now that you're retired, why is there a difference between weekends and weekdays?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 am

The difference is that on weekends, She-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't rush out the door - she 'allows' me to cook her a nice breakfast.

Plus I used to drink one to two pots a day at the office and decided that being in a state akin to a hyperthyroid Dachshund on a hot plate wasn't that productive.