Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pickled Okra

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Pickled Okra

by Christina Georgina » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:33 am

Couldn't resist some beautiful okra at a local Indian store. 5 # later I'm looking up recipes and wonder if you have any thoughts on pickling these beauties. So far, Sean Brock in his Heritage cookbook has the most interesting.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Pickled Okra

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:28 am

Christina, we grow a little okra in our garden, and I love it in Cajun-style dishes and Indian recipes. I've never tried pickling it, though! (I've eaten commercially pickled okra and thought it was okay - one more kind of pickle in a wondrous variety.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 am

Hi, Christina. I pickled okra for years. My go to recipes are from an old book I got decades ago All About Pickling by Ortho books. I've made every kind of pickled okra from this book. My favorites are the Louisiana pickled okra. Hope this is useful to you.
Okra pickles.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks Jo Ann. I can see that I must make another batch. The recipe I used was a garlic, dill, hot pepper number with a much higher ratio of salt and a 15 min processing time ,,,,sob.....I expect them to not be crisp. Packed in quart jars might mitigate the flabby texture. I was flabbergasted at how after packing the jars tightly to the brim they shrunk leaving a good 1.5 inch of liquid space at the bottom. Not used to that with other pickled veg. I did not sort thru the offerings to get the smallest specimens. Do you use only small tenders ?
Thanks for the reference. I am developing a pickling recipe library for reference. I just hate to let any good thing from the garden go to waste.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am

No, I don't use the small tenders. I use fruit that's about 3" in length but tender enough that my thumbnail still breaks the skin. With these recipes my pickles have always been crisp and loaded with balanced flavor.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon