Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's talk about Truffle Oil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What is your relationship with truffle oil like today?

Never liked it, so none
No votes
Enjoyed the fad, but I'm over it
17%
Never thought of it as just a fad, and I'm still a fan
83%
Can I use it to enhance my tan?
No votes

Total votes : 6
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Let's talk about Truffle Oil

by Jenise » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:00 pm

I have come to love the show Chopped. Bob and I get a kick out of watching it, snarking, guessing who will win, etc. And over the years I've come to understand that there are one or two nearly instant-fails with the judges. Chief among them: truffle oil. So I was surprised to watch a recent episode and see someone douse an already finished dish with truffle oil--after all these years, and this guy didn't know better? A clumsy, clueless move.

That said, I love the stuff. And I don't mean the artificially flavored kind--that right there is good reason for the Chopped judges to kill off a contestant--but the really good kind from Italy that gets its flavor from a piece of truffle in the bottle. THAT truffle oil. I adore it. Not having any fresh truffles on hand, like who does, I'm fond of a few drops on scrambled eggs. And two weeks ago when I on a whim decided to attend an event for which I needed to bring a food item, I made a parmesan-rich macaroni and cheese to which I added some fresh tomato just lightly cooked in butter and a bit of truffle oil to the fresh bread crumb crust. Killer!

Yet I hear it poohpoohed all the time as a fad whose time came and went, and maybe that's true. American restaurants probably used a lot of it for awhile and they no longer do once home cooks all bought a bottle and it was no longer new or exclusive. But meanwhile, in Italy, nothing's changed. It's always been around and always will be, because it's GOOD. They don't have to get over it.

And neither do I. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

Re: Let's talk about Truffle Oil

by Ken Schechet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 pm

I have recently gone absolutely nuts about truffled mac and cheese. First saw it in Whole Foods and that was good. But I've made my own very much they way you did and it's fabulous.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Not a fan.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:50 pm

I use truffle salt, not oil. Sparingly, because it has been over-played.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:28 am

Love Truffle oil, a wonderful seasoning if used thoughtfully. As you say, the artificially flavoured oil is awful, had some recently when dining out, on a pizza, and they had overdone it as well, gack.
A little on eggs, a background subtle hint in salad dressing, lots of places it can go, and grownup popcorn ( toss hot popped corn with butter, Parmesan, truffle oil and salt to taste mmmmm.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Jeff's got a good point: you can overdo it. But used judiciously it can be a wonderful enhancement. In that mac n' cheese I made, it didn't show up as truffles so much as it made the parmesan element richer and funkier.

And truffle salt's great, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 pm

I think everyone gets sick of an ingredient like this that gets way overused as part of a fad. In most of these cases, though, there's nothing wrong with the ingredient itself, just the way it's overused. I very much like truffle oil, but we've never used it often. Ken's mention of truffled mac and cheese reminded me that I've never tried that and that it does sound good. (And yeah, I'd forgo the blue box for this particular application.)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote: In most of these cases, though, there's nothing wrong with the ingredient itself, just the way it's overused.

EXACTLY. And then we blame the source, not ourselves for our shallow thinking.

Yes, in Mac and Cheese, it's great.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 am

Problem with truffle oil is that it is so often over used.

A few drops that impart a je ne sais quoi to a dish that you can't quite identify (much like an anchovy does, injecting a umami element without making itself too prominent) and I'm on side. More than that, no.

Had a crispy sweetbread entree for lunch last week (at a restaurant you are very familiar with) and it was dosed with TO. I concluded it would have been just as good without any added (but might possibly have been best with about 1/4 of what found its way in there).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Problem with truffle oil is that it is so often over used.

A few drops that impart a je ne sais quoi to a dish that you can't quite identify (much like an anchovy does, injecting a umami element without making itself too prominent) and I'm on side. More than that, no.

Had a crispy sweetbread entree for lunch last week (at a restaurant you are very familiar with) and it was dosed with TO. I concluded it would have been just as good without any added (but might possibly have been best with about 1/4 of what found its way in there).

I can agree with that. It usually helps if there's something else in the dish that truffles would be naturally sympatico with--eggs and cheese are two. I also love a few drops on a crab ramen soup I make in season. Can't imagine putting it on sweetbreads, I have to say.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:57 pm

I keep this in the freezer, though it doesn't get much use. However once and a while, it seems the appropriate addition.

http://www.dartagnan.com/black-truffle-butter/product/PMTBB003-1.html?cgid=truffle-butter-oil&dwvar_PMTBB003-1_freshFrozenWeight=fresh-PMTBB016#start=2
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Greg H wrote:I keep this in the freezer, though it doesn't get much use. However once and a while, it seems the appropriate addition.

http://www.dartagnan.com/black-truffle-butter/product/PMTBB003-1.html?cgid=truffle-butter-oil&dwvar_PMTBB003-1_freshFrozenWeight=fresh-PMTBB016#start=2

I've bought that too, Greg. Have you tried it on baked potatoes? It may be the only idea you ever need.