Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does anyone have a good recipe for a pork stew?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Does anyone have a good recipe for a pork stew?

by Maria Samms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:22 pm

I have some leftover pork tenderloin roast that a made a few days ago, and I was wondering if anyone had any good pork stew recipes? Or, any recipes for leftover pork? I usually do a pulled pork sandwich or pork fried rice with it...but didn't want to do that this time. Any suggestions?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Does anyone have a good recipe for a pork stew?

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:16 pm

I rarely have the problem of having leftovers, but if I did ...

... I might cube the pork up and take a wok at making some fried rice (rice, eggs, peas, cubed pork) ...***

... or I might cube it, grate some potatoes, and sling some kind of hash, lovely with nice and runny sunny side up eggs ...

... or I might slice it up and make some kind of burrito or egg roll ...

... but knowing me I'd get some crusty bread and make a sandwich with loads of ketchup.

*** Oops! You said that already!!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:27 am

Green chile stew in New Mexico is frequently made with pork. It consists of green chiles, pork, onions, sometimes potatoes and tomatoes (I've even been known to throw in some corn). Ambrosia, indeed. I made some last week with some homemade flour tortillas. Yum.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:33 am

Carnitas, maybe? I don't have a good recipe for that but if someone else does.....?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:48 am

I haven't had much luck cooking with beer, but Milwaukee Pork Stew was very popular years ago when I lived in Wisconsin. Let me know if you would like a copy of the recipe.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:24 am

The problem is, your roast has already been cooked. The leftovers won't take kindly to an additional stewing, IMO.
Best to cut it up and use as in ingredient in another dish.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:32 am

Larry - can you post the exact recipe?

Bob - Yes, I would love the recipe if you dig it up.

Mike - I have never heard of Carnitas, but I am intrigued.

John - you may be right. I have never stewed leftover pork before. But I often use leftover leg of lamb to make lamb stew and leftover beef roast for a beef stew and they come out nicely. I was hoping to do something similar with the pork, but not sure if I can.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:41 am

Maria, this is a basic version of the recipe; I've seen much more complex versions. This one was distributed by a radio station in Milwaukee many years ago, and according to my brother Jim, published again a year or so ago. (Jimmy runs a couple of hogs a year for family eating.)

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork shoulder cut In 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons oil
4 large onions, sliced
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (12 oz.) can beer
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper; add pork cubes, turning to coat well. In a Dutch oven, heat oil - brown meat over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Pour off drippings. Stir in parsley, caraway seed, chicken broth, beer, wine vinegar and brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Stir occasionally. Serves 8.

Since your meat is cooked already, I would soften the onions and garlic longer, and simmer for a shorter period, but since you've had experience with making stew with cooked meat you shouldn't have any difficulties.

I'm not going to recommend any particular beer -- folks in Milwaukee take that issue very seriously -- or at least did years ago.

:)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:51 am

Maria Samms wrote:Larry - can you post the exact recipe?

Bob - Yes, I would love the recipe if you dig it up.

Mike - I have never heard of Carnitas, but I am intrigued.

John - you may be right. I have never stewed leftover pork before. But I often use leftover leg of lamb to make lamb stew and leftover beef roast for a beef stew and they come out nicely. I was hoping to do something similar with the pork, but not sure if I can.

Well, after a quick look around I think carnitas might not work. It's a twice-cooked pork dish but I'm not sure it will work with roasting as the first step. There's recipe at Epicurious that involves Coca-cola, of all things.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41 am

Maria Samms wrote:Larry - can you post the exact recipe?

My green chile stew recipe is loose, not exact because it's so forgiving.

Since your pork is already cooked, here's what I'd do:

Throw some cubed pork into a crockpot. (If it wasn't cooked, I'd brown the pork first). Add water and some chicken broth, if you want to. Add cubed potatoes, minced garlic clove, chopped onions, chopped tomato or two (opt.), lots of green chile (you should be able to find some canned chiles in the Mexican part of your grocery store), s&p to taste. I sometimes throw in a handful of frozen corn.

Let cook until flavors are melded and pork is tender. Warm up some flour tortillas, which are an ideal bread to eat with this stew. If you're not used to heat, I'd start with milder chiles. It's called green chile stew, so use lots of chiles. Beer is an ideal drink.

After you eat chiles and the warmth is dying down to just a glow, you'll experience a pleasant high--it's the body's endorphins kicking in. That's why green chile is so addictive to us.

Another possibility for your leftover pork is red chile stew, known as "carne adovado." Essentially, it's pork and cubed potatoes simmered in red chile sauce. Also good with flour tortillas.

It sounds like you're an adventurous eater. It's too bad you're not in the wellspring of New Mexican cooking to try the real stuff. Newcomers to New Mexico soon get used to hotter and hotter dishes and learn to love green chile.

A scary thought is when New Mexicans move to another state. What do they do about green chile? I've been there and had friends ship me the stuff. (You might consider ordering some fresh chiles from NM next summer. I've shipped sacks to other FLDGers. Ask Jenise and Bob Henrick how they like and use green chiles.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 am

Mike--I agree that carnitas wouldn't work with leftovers.

Maria, I happen to be someone who doesn't like the taste of recooked meat. If it was initially braised or stewed, okay, but roasted or grilled meats taste 'off' to me when reused in a quick prep like a curry or stir fry. Not everyone is sensitive to this, but I find women generally are more than men. It's as if it's built into our inner cave woman. Anyway, the lone exception for me is when the second method is a braise--long cooking with broth, wine and seasonings removes that 'off' taste I can't bear, and I actually love to have leftover pork from which to make a shredded Portugese pork dish also involving about a cup of canned tomatoes, a chopped red bell pepper, about a cup of chopped cilantro and five or six cloves of garlic. All that's mixed with the shredded pork and a dollop of white wine and maybe a dollop of chicken broth for moisture and stewed for about an hour--another handful of chopped cilantro is added just before serving over plain rice. I LOVE this dish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and recipes!! I can't wait to try them!

Jenise wrote:Maria, I happen to be someone who doesn't like the taste of recooked meat. If it was initially braised or stewed, okay, but roasted or grilled meats taste 'off' to me when reused in a quick prep like a curry or stir fry.

ITA...my Mother-in-law always curries her leftover lamb...blech...just doesn't taste right. I thought I was just being picky! Glad someone else feels the same way.

Your recipe sounds delish! (except for the bell pepper part...LOL! I leave them out) Thanks again!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:35 pm

Cook it with some carrots, onion, rosemary...some flour, deglaze with white wine, add stock, cook in 250 degree oven (lid on) til done...stir in a can of rinsed white beans, cook til hot...

Inspired by a recipe from CI for lamb stew...pork was cheaper and I was feeding a crowd.

b
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:08 pm

Maria, I'm a little late to the party and I know (hope) your pork tenderloins are long gone by now, but I wanted to give you my favorite pork recipe. (Bob, the one you posted sounds awesome too. I'm going to have try that one.)

We love this served over pasta, and then with the leftovers, I shred and chunk up the pork, add the pasta to the whole thing and now it's pork stew, voila! (In fact, your request for pork stew made me think of this.)

Easy Pork Roast
Cook Time: 5 Hours 10 Minutes Ready In: 5 Hours 30 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings

"Shallots, garlic, and fresh rosemary add lots of flavor to this simple, savory recipe for pork shoulder roast that you can put in the oven and forget about until it's time to eat."

INGREDIENTS:
1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini
beans
1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
1 (28 ounce) can stewed
tomatoes, drained
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
10 shallots, peeled
10 cloves garlic, peeled
salt and black pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh rosemary

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the roast on all sides, about 10 minutes. Place roast into a large roasting pan. Pour beans, beer, and tomatoes over roast. Arrange onions, shallots, garlic, bay leaves and sprigs of rosemary around the roast, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover, and bake for 4 hours. Raise the temperature to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), and roast 1 hour more.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:01 pm

hi maria - i like gary's hash idea. works well with beef; why not pork. use onions, potato, some thyme. i use a few drops of cream to help make the crust and if your family is from jersey, serve it with the egg gary suggested plus 'chili sauce'. ps. more photos!
david creighton