Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Friday fun: the "secondary" gadgets you use as primaries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Friday fun: the "secondary" gadgets you use as primaries

by Jenise » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Right, for the outside. I tiled the roasted slices for an outside wrap too. But I added some skin for extra texture in the filling too--not a lot, just enough for 'flecks'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:You make your own hummus?

Definitely. It's fun to vary the spice mix and lemon/garlic ratio. I've been doing for years but lately as blood pressure was creeping up it's a good way to control sodium (I pressure cook a batch of chickpeas from Armenian grocery rather than use canned, though you can find low-salt canned). I tend toward a lemony/cuminy style but vary it a bit each time (cayenne, sumac or za'atar- though sometimes those are added as topping- or occasionally blend in roasted peppers, carrot, or olives).

Hm. Maybe I'll have to give that a whirl. :wink:

Do you rub the skins off the chickpeas before blending? I read somewhere (here?) about the difference it makes.

Yes, we have a coffee grinder that is a dedicated spice grinder. We have mortars/pestles, but when you need to do a lot fast. ...

Oh, yes, I have a small steel mortar/pestle and a Braun coffee grinder for spices.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Do you rub the skins off the chickpeas before blending? I read somewhere (here?) about the difference it makes.

That was the issue with the one time I made my own hummus. Maybe I was going for too large a batch, but it's a lot of labor to peel off all those skins. Even for me (someone who by normal human standards is not afraid of extra prep to get a tasty dish).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:51 pm

The Ottolenghi books suggest the skin removal (cook with baking soda and they come right off). Or you can place on a kitchen towel, put another towel on top, and rub. It does make a bit airier. But I like a moderately dense hummus, so usually don't bother (can also add more oil if you think too dense)
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm

The skins issue for me is that they don't add any flavor. I was irritated to disccover that I could tell the difference between peeled and not. It takes forever, because even if they do slip off you still need to shake them somewhere. It took 15 solid minutes of work to do a single half-liter can. I specifically got this recommendation from Paula Wolfert.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 pm

If we are talking about something not adding flavour, that would pretty much cover zucchini - bulk and some texture but the flavour has to come from some other ingredient. There are lots of veg that don't have huge amounts of flavour, but zukes top the scale for neutral for me.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm

I would have worried more about texture with the skins. And I usually cook beans in larger amounts (a few lbs dried).

Anyway, probably not on my agenda for the near future. Maybe one day.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

I’ve found that a lot of the skins get very loose during the soaking and cooking and float to the surface where they ca easily be skimmed off. Then ijustvrub them around in the liquid to get more off skim And then I ignore the rest.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:I’ve found that a lot of the skins get very loose during the soaking and cooking and float to the surface where they ca easily be skimmed off. Then ijustvrub them around in the liquid to get more off skim And then I ignore the rest.

Thumb up, WAY up!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous