Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

April in Paris. Restaurant faves?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

April in Paris. Restaurant faves?

by Hoke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:19 pm

My wife and I will be in Paris for a few days in April.

I have some restaurants in mind but am happy to entertain faves from other people.

We have in mind more the bistro type places. The top end find dining will likely be lunch events, since the quality of the food is just as good, but the prices are lowe, and you can still walk it off after lunch. Plus you can afford to spend the money saved on food at lunch on wine at lunch!

So far I'm considering some of the following:

L'Angle du Faubourg (Taillevent's other place)

Le Repaire du Cartouche

Le Bistro Paul Bert

Chez les Anges

Fish La Boissonnerie

Atelier Maitre Albert

Allard (for the tradtional fix)

and Lavinia, for to pick out a bottle and have it at lunch at what I'm told is a pretty good restaurant.

Oh, doesn't mean much since the Metro is superb, but we'll be staying right next to St. Germain des Pres.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: April in Paris. Restaurant faves?

by James Roscoe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Hoke, aren't there restaurants in Paris you're not allowed to visit?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:50 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Hoke, aren't there restaurants in Paris you're not allowed to visit?

I use a fake name and wear a beard. That works for most of them. If they object to my behavior, I just tell them I'm British.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Hoke wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Hoke, aren't there restaurants in Paris you're not allowed to visit?

I use a fake name and wear a beard. That works for most of them. If they object to my behavior, I just tell them I'm British.

I always figure you could actually pretend to be polite and pass for a Canadian, eh. Of course, as a Brit, you can still be rude.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:59 pm

True story:

We were in Bofinger's (just off the Place de la Bastille) with another couple from New York.

As the evening progressed and we were having a good time, we started conversing with some folks from the large party next to us. We ended up sharing wine back and forth and having an even better time. Turned out they were a bunch of Scots on holiday and bent on having a good time.

At the end of the evening one of the men leaned over and confided to me, "We would have spoken to you earlier, and we wish we had, but you see, we thought you were British. Then we saw you were enjoying yourselves."

:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:08 pm

We tend to frequent bistros while in Paris. Three favorites are:

Le Petit Troquet
28, rue de l'Exposition
7th arrondissement
01 47 05 80 39

Le Temps au Temps
13, rue Paul Bert
11th arrondissement
01 43 79 63 40

La Maison du Jardin
27, rue de Vaugirard
6th arrondissement
01 45 48 22 31

All of these are popular with the local set, so reservations are a must. All three have excellent food at very fair prices.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:22 pm

Hoke wrote:At the end of the evening one of the men leaned over and confided to me, "We would have spoken to you earlier, and we wish we had, but you see, we thought you were British. Then we saw you were enjoying yourselves."

Great story!! :lol:
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Hoke - i believe i almost ran into you at meadow brook wine and food thing last sept.

just got back from there and found a place i like. La Table du Perigord at 13 r. mezieres. the foie gras is very good there. the cassoulet is OK only IMO and the sweetbreads a really good - the most tender and juicy i have ever had.

i was also to Allard; and probably will not go back - nothing special IMO except that the house pour red graves was really delicious.

i assume you've found pierre herme for croissants, etc.? they have the oddity of not opening until 10 am; but then there is still a line out the door at closing, so....... r. bonaparte in sight from st. sulpice.

have fun!
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:42 am

Hoke, I really enjoyed Chez Dumonet (aka Josephine) at the lower end of r. de Cherche Midi near Montparnasse. A really rousing traditional Paris bistro and you'll enjoy the wine list. Populated by locals primarily. You could walk there from St. Germain des Pres in about 15 minutes.

For lunch splurge, Hotel Bristol is superb, and great value for 2* venue with 3* cooking.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:30 pm

My thanks to all who responded, and I have copied your reccos and suggestions.

Bernard: I do believe I have frequented that very same bistro in times past. I once stayed on the Cherche-Midi and the day we arrived we wanted to stay close to our hotel and not get lost in the maze of streets (I've found that walking in Paris is so seductive that one can end up---well, one often ends up---walking and walking and walking.), and lo and behold, we came upon that very bistro and said, "Looks good; let's do this one." And it was lovely. Just the thing for our first night there.