Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine/food Pairing suggestion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

J. A. Fischer

Rank

Just got here

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Wine/food Pairing suggestion

by J. A. Fischer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are cooking for friends of my parents this coming weekend. On the menu is filet mignon with blue cheese, creamed spinach and chipotle mashed sweet potatoes. Normally, we are great with pairing wine with our food, but one of the guests knows way more than we do about wine so I am a little nervous about choosing this time. Does anyone have any suggestions for this menu for about $20-$25 per bottle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wine/food Pairing suggestion

by Howie Hart » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 pm

J. A. welcome to our place. An interesting wine has recently been discussed here that may just fit the bill. Try a 2003 vintage Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley in France, such as Chinon. While the '03 vintage in Europe was warm and many wines are out of character from being over-ripe, apparently Loire Cab Francs are showing quite well. I haven't tried any personally, but I intend to. They shouldn't be too expensive and your parent's friends might enjoy them. I'm sure others will chime in, but make sure you come back and report what you served and how it was.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:50 pm

J.A. welcome to the forum.Loire red would be fun, so many wines from there are under-appreciated!! Also look at the Rhone Valley, maybe a Cote du Rhone. Black fruits, spice yum. If you have a good store nearby, pop in and see whats on the tasting bar. That will work eh.
no avatar
User

J. A. Fischer

Rank

Just got here

by J. A. Fischer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! I will report back after the weekend :D
no avatar
User

J. A. Fischer

Rank

Just got here

by J. A. Fischer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:19 pm

Hello!

The weekend dinner was a success. I could not find the 2003 vintage of the Chinon, only 2005 :( But, I did find 2003 Chateauneuf-du-Pape. It is a mixture of Grenache, Syrah and mourvedre. It was in the price range and the guests loved it. Thanks for all of your help!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:44 pm

J. A, which CndP did you end up buying? Great choice by the way. Also, please accept my welcome to the forum too. We hope you will stay around.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

J. A. Fischer

Rank

Just got here

by J. A. Fischer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Its great to have a place to discuss wine!

Ok, I am not great at reading french wine labels yet, but the CndP is Domaine Du Vieux Lazaret. I thought it was a great $20.99 buy.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Hey J.A., Welcome!

That is my favorite CdP. You got a good deal too. I need to pick up a few more bottles of the '03 before they are all gone.

Great choice...I am so glad your dinner was a success!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin