Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spoon rest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Spoon rest

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:55 pm

I had a white porcelain spoon rest on the stove. I moved it aside during the busy run-up to Thanksgiving. I haven't seen it since. Anybody have any idea what I did with it? :shock:
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Spoon rest

by John Treder » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm

If it migrates to my stove, I'll be sure to let you know.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:08 am

It’s in a black sock I’ve been looking for and it may be in the back of the fridge.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 am

Did my wife visit your home? She constantly moves things, which I may find months or years later--if at all. E.g., where is my bag of almond flour?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Santa has misplaced a present, too. I looked in the pantry for your almond flour and in the dryer for Barb's sock, no spoon rest in either place.

Gremlins?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Did my wife visit your home? She constantly moves things, which I may find months or years later--if at all. E.g., where is my bag of almond flour?

Same place my ham knife went.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Things that disappear seem to go into an alternate dimension sometimes, only to reappear in an obvious place later. The serendipity principle strikes again.

We use an antique spoon rest that She-who-must-be-obeyed is under strict instruction not to machine wash. (not sure why the first image doesn't download, but if I click on it it appears. Not sure why the other one is upside down - wasn't when it left my harddrive. Damn computers!)

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm

That is a lovely object!

The funny thing about The Case of the Missing Spoon Rest is that my kitchen is the size of a matchbox. Even setting Reason aside it is only barely possible for anything to remain concealed for long.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Douglas Adams had a theory that all lost pens, spoon rests, and whatnot slip through wormholes in space and end up on another planet.

Terry Pratchett had a reverse take on this theme. He said that the Big Bang Theory is wrong and the Steady-State Theory is correct. But the newly-created matter isn't subatomic particles as the physicists assumed. Instead, the new matter appears in the form of that egg whisk that you find jamming your cutlery drawer, and that you don't remember ever buying.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:05 pm

SpoonRest.jpg

Bill, your file size was too large. I copied it to my own computer and reduced the size to 400 pixels, and here it is just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:52 am

I once lost a serving tray, which was at least 18x 12 inches in dimension, in our modest motor home.
Several years later I found it had got down behind the back of the drawers. The on,y way it could have got there was that I had left it on the pull out shelf when I pushed it away. But how it contorted itself to get down the back defeats me.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:51 am

Yesterday I found it!!! I pulled out the bottom drawer of the dishwasher, which gave me a good view of the interior. It was there, upside-down, among the other mysterious smooth white shapes at the bottom of the washing cabinet. It is very clean.

I did look as well for the sock, flour, and slicer but didn't see them.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 am

:lol:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:52 am

Happens to me all the time. My best guess is that my wife visited you and stashed it somewhere that she doesn't remember.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:30 am

I just found the dariole moulds I thought must have gone to the op-shop when we relocated 5 years ago! They wer nestled within my set of Japanese lacquer soup bowls. There is no logic anywhere in that scenario. But I’m glad to have them.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:54 am

Congratulations, Barb!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Barb Downunder wrote: There is no logic anywhere in that scenario.

And that's why it's Lost, capital L.

Like Bob's shaving cream, which showed up weeks after purchase in the pepper section of my pantry.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:15 pm

This morning, Pumpkin fumbled the spoon rest, which took a small chip out of the stove on its way to the floor (and its demise).

At least, now I'll always know where it is.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:24 pm

Sad when that happens!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:30 pm

I found a lady that repairs ceramic as a hobby business. You'd probably pay triple what the object as worth, but her work is amazing. I recently had her restore an early 18th C. Chinese Kangxi famille noire vase, not to museum quality but just below and you can't see any repairs!

Funny thing was that she is married to a biologist that worked at the same bio-assay lab I did - just shy of a half century ago!
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Although I love having people over, when they offer to do dishes it can lead to a week (or more) of searching for things. I had a house full for the weekend of my sisters surprise birthday party. I cooked a couple of chickens on the BGE, made some potato salad, green salad, etc. For the next week I was finding prep bowls in with the storage bowls, cooking utensils in with the prep utensils, drinking glasses in with the wine glasses. And I still have a few serving bowls and occasional use pan sitting on the dining room table.

I love family and friends over but they are so much work. :D
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

Funny post, about the spoons. Long ago, I started using a folded paper towel as a spoon rest. I just throw it away when that dish is done...works well for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:01 pm

I use a flat square plate whose right and left edges are slightly turned up. Bought it for this purpose and still love it. It's a wonder I haven't broken it by now, I'm such a klutz, but I haven't even chipped it. Wonders!