Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spoon rest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Spoon rest

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:55 pm

I had a white porcelain spoon rest on the stove. I moved it aside during the busy run-up to Thanksgiving. I haven't seen it since. Anybody have any idea what I did with it? :shock:
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Spoon rest

by John Treder » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm

If it migrates to my stove, I'll be sure to let you know.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:08 am

It’s in a black sock I’ve been looking for and it may be in the back of the fridge.
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 am

Did my wife visit your home? She constantly moves things, which I may find months or years later--if at all. E.g., where is my bag of almond flour?
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Santa has misplaced a present, too. I looked in the pantry for your almond flour and in the dryer for Barb's sock, no spoon rest in either place.

Gremlins?
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Did my wife visit your home? She constantly moves things, which I may find months or years later--if at all. E.g., where is my bag of almond flour?

Same place my ham knife went.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Things that disappear seem to go into an alternate dimension sometimes, only to reappear in an obvious place later. The serendipity principle strikes again.

We use an antique spoon rest that She-who-must-be-obeyed is under strict instruction not to machine wash. (not sure why the first image doesn't download, but if I click on it it appears. Not sure why the other one is upside down - wasn't when it left my harddrive. Damn computers!)

IMG_0262.JPG
(58.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG (36.29 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm

That is a lovely object!

The funny thing about The Case of the Missing Spoon Rest is that my kitchen is the size of a matchbox. Even setting Reason aside it is only barely possible for anything to remain concealed for long.
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Douglas Adams had a theory that all lost pens, spoon rests, and whatnot slip through wormholes in space and end up on another planet.

Terry Pratchett had a reverse take on this theme. He said that the Big Bang Theory is wrong and the Steady-State Theory is correct. But the newly-created matter isn't subatomic particles as the physicists assumed. Instead, the newly matter appears in the form of that egg whisk that you find jamming your cutlery drawer, and that you don't remember ever buying.

-Paul W.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:05 pm

SpoonRest.jpg
SpoonRest.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

Bill, your file size was too large. I copied it to my own computer and reduced the size to 400 pixels, and here it is just fine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:52 am

I once lost a serving tray, which was at least 18x 12 inches in dimension, in our modest motor home.
Several years later I found it had got down behind the back of the drawers. The on,y way it could have got there was that I had left it on the pull out shelf when I pushed it away. But how it contorted itself to get down the back defeats me.