Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lemon Potato Fans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: Lemon Potato Fans

by Bill Spencer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:44 pm

%^)

A recipe from the Idaho Potato Commission that I tweaked a bit but left all the ingredients intact ... the plated presentation is striking and just plain more elegant than your everyday run-of-the-mill baked potato ...

4 Large Idaho potatoes
1/4 C Grated Parmesan cheese
3 T Chopped fresh parsley
1/2 t Paprika
1/4 t Salt
1/4 C Butter
2 t Fresh lemon zest
1 T Fresh lemon juice

Scrub potatoes and pat dry ... cut each potato crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices being careful to stop your cut within 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the bottom of the potato ... in a medium-large bowl, prepare an ice water bath and place the potatoes in the ice water bath for 10 minutes ... preheat oven to 425 degrees ... combine the cheese, parsley, paprika, and salt in a small bowl and set aside ... in a small pan over low heat, melt the butter ... remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice and set aside ... drain the potatoes and carefully pat dry ... arrange the potatoes on a very lightly greased cookie sheet ... brush the tops and sides of the potatoes with the butter mixture ... bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and golden ... remove potatoes from oven and turn oven off ... sprinkle the potatoes with the cheese mixture and place back into the cooling oven for 5 or 10 minutes or until the cheese mixture has melted ... serve immediately ...

4 Servings

The original version was a microwave version ... I like the baked version much better (hate all that stopping and rearranging stuff you have to do with most microwaves and the color of the finished potatoes is more eye appealing/attractive) ... if you want the microwave version, however, go to

http://www.idahopotato.com

click on "Recipes" then scroll down to "Baked" and click ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Lemon Potato Fans

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:31 pm

I'm a fan of this recipe already......two of my favorite ingredients, lemons and potatoes! Yum!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Sounds great, Bill! We're having friends over for supper on Saturday, so if the oven is free enough these will be on the menu.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:21 pm

Yum! Glad you included the link, I went there hoping for a picture. Somehow I might call those radiators vs. fans--I was picturing the potato being cut lengthwise and the fan being like a Chinese fan, say. But now I get it--terrific idea. Lemon and butter and potatoes are sublime together, but the idea of cutting them and roasting them (I'm so with you on the microwave problem) this way takes it to another level. Great post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:38 am

%^)

Mics are SO over-rated ... just the difference in color/eye appeal with the finished product is enough to take this dish from just "ho-hum" to "spectacular" ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:11 pm

I wouldn't say microwaves are overrated, just that they're horribly misused. :) They are for heating and reheating. Cooking? No. And microwaved potatoes are especially awful. It's not the same as baking, not even REMOTELY. And this comes from someone who bakes her potatoes for two hours to get them extra creamy inside and extra crispy out! I don't care what a recipe says, I would never do it. Those are written for people who prize convenience over every other consideration--I'm not one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov