Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pasta with White Bean & Herb Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Pasta with White Bean & Herb Sauce

by Jenise » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Was reading thru Barbara Lynch's book Stir yesterday when I saw a recipe for Shrimp Polpettone and pasta with a sauce made from canned white beans. I loved the look and idea of this easy, quick, flavorful sauce and already had some scallops on hand, so I borrowed the sauce component for my dish. We absolutely loved this; it would be entirely glorious on its own or adaptable to almost any seafood. It would go very well with vegetables as a main dish, too (roasted cauliflower? Yum!). Here it is with seared scallops last night:

ScallopsWhiteBeanSauce.jpg

For two-three servings:

1 can white beans rinsed and drained
2 tblsp finely diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, or a bit more
1 tsp chopped fresh sage, or a bit more
1 cup water
lemon zest
parmesan (optional)
Olive oil x 2

In a small pan sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil until transluscent, about five minutes. Stir in the herbs and add the beans and water, simmer for another five minutes. Process half the beans and liquid in a food processor and return to the pan along with the lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cook and drain pasta, retaining about half a cup of pasta cooking liquid to loosen or extend the sauce if needed. I went with lasagna noodles broken into about 2" pieces. Paparadelle would be nice too--something wide, flat and smooth. I finished the dish with a drizzle of condiment-level olive oil and some parmesan cheese. Yes I know I know, Italians don't put parm on seafood but I have to tell you that in combination with the lemon juice and olive oil, it was a great finishing touch.

Btw, I served a 2018 Foradori Mazzoni Bianco from the Dolomite region of Italy. It was one of those stratospheric matches: food 100, wine 100, but in combination: 300.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: RCP: Pasta with White Bean & Herb Sauce

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Maybe make it with a lighter white wine instead of water?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 pm

A dollop of dry white wine or even vermouth would not be unwelcome, but because it's only a five minute sauce the alcohol needs to be minimal because it won't have much time to integrate. You could cook it longer, but the beans would break down.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 pm

I could add the alcohol, and cook it down, then supplement with water and add the beans.

I know...I am a flavor hound.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm

As am I. And with the herbs, there's plenty of flavor.