Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheese garnish?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Cheese garnish?

by Maria Samms » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 pm

I am having a few cheeses tomorrow night for a party and I wanted to put them on a nice wooden cutting board...but then I realized I have nothing to put under the cheeses first. I would like have liked some grape leaves...but I don't know where I would find fresh ones this time of yr. Any suggestions for what would look nice/be appropriate to lay between the cutting board and the cheeses? They are cheddar, harvarti, and Brie. I was also going to place some red seedless grapes and some table water crackers as well.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Cheese garnish?

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:47 pm

Decorative kale? Escarole, arugula or endive leaves? (Knowing me. I'd use a My Little Pony place mat. :) )
And now what?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks Gary...so you think any flat green leaf would be appropriate?

(Knowing me. I'd use a My Little Pony place mat. )

Heck NO!! ALL the kiddos stuff is getting cleared out of sight tomorrow evening...I want to pretend that we are crazy adults with no children! LOL!!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Thanks Gary...so you think any flat green leaf would be appropriate?

I like the colorfulness of the decorative kale and the endive, but, yes, any firm leaf will look good.

Maria Samms wrote:
(Knowing me. I'd use a My Little Pony place mat. )

Heck NO!! ALL the kiddos stuff is getting cleared out of sight tomorrow evening...I want to pretend that we are crazy adults with no children! LOL!!

Well, we could do something more mature ... maybe the Pussycat Dolls?

One more thought: I like putting out fresh fennel. Slice up some of that, include it on the tray, and use the fronds as a decorative element. (Can't ya' tell that I grew up on the same town as Martha Stewart?)
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:03 pm

I say just put them down on the cheese board and be done with it. I've seen the cheese trolley presented just that way at Michelin 3-star restaurants in France.

Yes, you can put out a garnish of some fresh green herb or other leaf to enhance the presentation. But the bottom line is the cheeses themselves.

If your cheeses are good, that's all you need. That's certainly all the pros need.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:08 am

Maria, have you thought about some fresh herbs? Maybe some lacy dill or some basil leaves.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:50 am

I vote for simple. You've got three cheeses that all look pretty different, just cut and arrange them nicely, add a bit of fruit to the tableau, maybe some nuts, and enjoy the elegance.

Typically, the cheese course comes after dinner, so if you guys have really forgotten about the kids and are well-marinated by that point, it will have been best to do this arrangement in advance. And keep sharp objects away. Trust me on that last one.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Paul - The cheeses are nice...but not fantastic. They are part of several appetizers that I am serving, and since it's not a wine and cheese party, I didn't go overboard. Also, I am not crazy about placing the cheese directing on my wood cutting baord (which I use mainly to slice fresh bread). So that is the main reason for using the garnish. But ITA, when you have nice cheeses and a really nice board...that's ALL you need!

Gary - Fennel sounds good.

Thanks Linda...I hadn't thought of herbs. Sounds like a good idea.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:13 pm

Maria, hope your party was a success. How did you end up serving your cheeses?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks Linda for asking! The party was a great success!

The cheese looked great...I wished I had taken a picture of it. I used dill under the harvarti, argula under the cheddar, and escarole leaves under the brie. Then I also serve some red grapes and I rolled some salami in the side.

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful ideas.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:43 pm

Too late to help, but if there's a next time: collard greens, cut freehand with a paring knife into the craggy shapes of grape leaves. They're richly colored, flat, and don't contain too much moisture to wick up into your cheeses.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov