Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: A revelation in shrimp and grits--from Tennessee!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: A revelation in shrimp and grits--from Tennessee!

by Jenise » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:52 pm

So I'm in love with shrimp and grits, and if I'm in a restaurant that has it on the menu I'm hard pressed to order anything else.

No two versions I've ever had were alike. Most recently at Husk in Nashville, a version with thinly sliced serrano chiles, aged asiago cheese and a tart vinegar component to clean it all up. I believe the shrimp had been smoked. And there was the mink-lined underwear of Shrimp and Grits at Magnolia in Charleston years ago loaded with heavy cream and soft tomato flavors, grilled shrimp and a fried green tomato garnish. Super luxe, but unneccessarily so. At home I resort to something I consider Cajun, or at least Emeril-ish and I don't know exactly where I got the idea but it was somewhere in New Orleans, wherein the shrimp is finished in the spicy/oily detritus created by pan-frying crumbled Andouille sausage.

None of which would be considered health food.

And so it was that a recipe, attributed to Pearl's Foggy Mountain Cafe in the small town of Sewanee, Tennessee, caught my eye in a recent daily mail from Leite's Culinaria, a site I only recently signed up for but find more inspiring than any other I get, subscribed to (Food & Wine) or not (Kimball's Milk Street). Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce? Lots of vegetables too. It looked like none other I've had, so I had to try it.

OMG. This was SO, SO good. The W sauce disappears into it, and the Tabasco imparts a haunting background flavor that substituting any other hot sauce...well, you can, but I wouldn't. I did substitute olive oil for butter where needed, and didn't put any cheese in the grits (the Husk version mentioned above was great, but even without a motive to reduce dairy fat I honestly prefer the plain, clean taste of cheese-less grits), but I otherwise followed the recipe but for cutting it in half which made two perfect servings.

Here I'll give you a hybrid of their version and mine (which is actually a bit more streamlined for steps required)--most of us cook for two anyway. Oh, and it's an easy dish: set up your mis-en-place, saute the vegetables while making a quick stock out of the shrimp shells, then go have a cocktail or your salad course or both. Come back for a quick finish, dinner's on the table in 15 minutes.

For the stock (optional):

Shrimp shells from 10 large shrimp
about 2 cups water

For the grits:

2 cups water
pinch of salt
1/2 c regular grits
1 T olive oil or butter
3 ounces grated cheddar (optional)

For the shrimp:

8 or 10 large shrimp, deveined, shelled
3/4 c water or shrimp stock
2 T butter or olive oil
1/2 c diced onion
1/2 c diced tomato (roma preferred)
1/2 c diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 T AP flour
1 T tomato paste
3 T heavy cream
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco to taste
S&P to taste

1) Start the shrimp stock, if making. Allow a gentle rolling boil that lightly reduces as it's cooking for more flavor.

2) Add butter or olive oil to a skillet, saute the vegetables until onion turns transluscent, about 5 - 7 minutes. Add thyme and tomato paste. Sprinkle the flour over the top, stir in.

3) Strain shrimp stock, turn the fire off underneath the shrimp stock, and go make that cocktail. :) Or continue on:

4) Bring grits water to a boil, pour in grits. Add olive oil or butter and a pinch of salt. Turn fire to low, stirring occasionally, for about 10 to 15 minutes*. Add cheese toward the end if using.

5) About five minutes before the grits are done, turn up the fire under the vegetables. Add stock then remaining items, stir to thicken, add shrimp, turning once to get color on each side. Adjust seasoning to taste, serve.

* There's a school of thought that grits have to cook for 30-40 minutes. I'm not in that camp. I don't want porridge. I prefer the coarse texture of lightly cooked grits. Similarly, I didn't cook the vegetables until they all turned super super soft. Give them more time if that's your preference, but I like the chunky freshness of this sauce.

This dish partners perfectly with a dry rose; we had Navarro's (Mendocino, CA) from pinot noir.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: RCP: A revelation in shrimp and grits--from Tennessee!

by Barb Downunder » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:38 am

Jenise, thanks for posting this. The pic on fb looked awesome.
I have pretty much everything except the grits so I am going to give this a go very soon,, but using the scampi I still have some in the freezer.

Erhaps you could suggest alternatives to grits?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:32 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Perhaps you could suggest alternatives to grits?

Polenta probably comes the closest, if you have access to it, Barb. It won't be quite the same, but close enough.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Robin's got it right. Polenta will be yellow vs. the white grits of the American south, but flavor and texture will only be a few percents apart.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Jenise:

By some magic coincidence I happened to have all the ingredients right down to the number of shrimp. The dish was quite tasty. I made a martini per your instructions (nothing hits me faster than a martini), but I actually managed to finish the cooking.

The only substitution was Crystal Hot Sauce (another Louisiana hot sauce) instead of Tabasco. I prefer Crystal because it's not as vinegary. Tabasco's first ingredient is vinegar; Crystal's first ingredient is peppers.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:The only substitution was Crystal Hot Sauce (another Louisiana hot sauce) instead of Tabasco. I prefer Crystal because it's not as vinegary. Tabasco's first ingredient is vinegar; Crystal's first ingredient is peppers.

Yes! That's why Crystal is more popular in Louisiana than Tabasco.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 pm

Good for you, Larry, and fair substitution. I actually prefer Tabasco because of the vinegar. It's the #1 way to get me to eat a scrambled egg, too. :)
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 pm

Jenise wrote:I actually prefer Tabasco because of the vinegar. It's the #1 way to get me to eat a scrambled egg, too. :)

Hey, me too. I often prefer the green Tabasco (jalapeño) because it's milder and I can add more of it (and hence more vinegar). It depends on what I'm adding it to, though.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:54 am

The correct answer is the Crystal vs Tabasco debate is of course "both"
The tabasco pepper is in a different species (with peri-peri) than cayenne, which is used in Crystal. So besides vinegar (and there is plenty in both) there's a slightly different profile. And mostly tabasco would be pretty damn hot. We always have tabasco, Crystal, Sriracha, Cholula in fridge, as well one superhot (Dave's Insanity or the like) and some things like sambal olek, Chinese chili oil and chili garlic, gochujang. I don't really like super hot foods, but nice to have choices for a little spicy edge
Shrimp and grits is now on lockdown menu
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Absolutely, Dale. I own every one of your hot sauces*, plus untold numbers of others because I'm a Scovie judge and get many, many freebies.

*Nice to see you're a fan of Cholula. Me, too.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:08 pm

What brand of sriracha do you use? I'm not a fan of the ubiquitous Huy Fong (although I like their sambal oolek). I use Shark brand (imported from Thailand).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:03 pm

I use Sriracha sauce infrequently, but I have a bottle of Lee Kum Kee, which tastes less garlicky.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Nice to see you're a fan of Cholula. Me, too.

Ditto. Again--vinegar's involved. Tip: use it to heavily season lightly chopped/ground canned hominy for a terrific vegetarian taco filling.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:20 pm

Betsy made tonight- great recipe, thanks. A "do again"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:21 am

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy made tonight- great recipe, thanks. A "do again"

:)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:48 pm

I'll accept that I am the odd man out here. but I have never been fond of either polenta or grits. Stodgy carb loaded filler foods that taste decent only when enough adulterant (usually cheese and/or butter) and salt is added.

But that's OK - I am not a fan of Cream of Wheat, and although I can tolerate oatmeal porridge, I would never seek it out. Nor would I look for a Canadian creation, Red River Cereal, possibly the healthiest of them all, but it still used to make me feel like I was licking the bottom of a bird cage.

So for me, it would be shrimp - a big yes, but hold the stodge.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I'll accept that I am the odd man out here. but I have never been fond of either polenta or grits. Stodgy carb loaded filler foods that taste decent only when enough adulterant (usually cheese and/or butter) and salt is added.

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/FilStu.shtml
A favorite short story from one of my favorite authors.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Good story.
I think my favourite is still The Open Window. A lot of good stories from that era - Conan Doyle, Wilde, O Henry, etc.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I'll accept that I am the odd man out here. but I have never been fond of either polenta or grits. Stodgy carb loaded filler foods that taste decent only when enough adulterant (usually cheese and/or butter) and salt is added.

Maybe you're just not a grain kind of guy? I actually don't agree about the adulterant, I've had them many times loaded with cream and cheese and don't like that at all. Just a bit of salt, though a pat of butter on top like mashed potatoes isn't objectionable. I often makes the grits with chicken broth instead of water when I'm doing them for serving with ham and red eye gravy. But plain works for me. I love all those grainy foods.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am

Jeff, Filboid Studge is exactly what popped into my mind, too, when I read Bill's diatribe.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 am

Maybe they all just remind me of

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Bill, based on your adult diet may I suggest you were raised on pureed steak? Your first pacifier was probably a strip of bacon!!

AFAIK, I was never fed those cereals as a baby--and I actually remember being a baby, at least from 11 months on. Only liked cereal to eat out of hand, but never with milk.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Actually, today it is my wife that always wants the meat, even when I am planning a veggie dinner. Do women become more carnivorous as they get older..... :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Actually, today it is my wife that always wants the meat, even when I am planning a veggie dinner. Do women become more carnivorous as they get older..... :shock:

In my experience, no. What are you doing to her????
Next